Video of Children Dancing on BBC

Alasdair Graham

March 15, 2006, 8:56 a.m. (Message 44716)

If you look at the BBC Scotland News page at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/default.stm

they have a video of Scottish Country Dancing showing the children dancing
at the Glasgow Festival.
It is bottom right of the page with the title
"Country Dancing craze is being used to combat obesity"

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland
Sue Porter

Sue Porter

March 15, 2006, 10:47 a.m. (Message 44719, in reply to message 44716)

700 children representing 40 Primary Schools from Glasgow, dancing their
hearts out for nearly 3 hours in the Kelvin Hall, Glasgow.

This event was organise by the Glasgow Primary Physical Education Team in
partnership with RSCDS Glasgow Branch.  The event commenced with a grand
march of the school banners lead by two pipers who were virtually drowned
out ( a first! ) by the cheers as each school entered the hall.
 Christine Watson, Primary PE Manager , Glasgow City and Stewart Adam, RSCDS
Chairman opened the proceedings. John Renton's 5 piece band kept the dancers
on their toes with Les Lambert acting as MC.
It was a pleasure to be invited  and share in the enjoyment of all these
young dancers, many of whom had only been dancing for a few months.

Congratulations to all the organisers and teachers but especially the
weans.  ( or children for the non Glasgow folk!)

This is one of many such festivals in Scotland that is keeping our rational
Scottish Country dancing alive and jigging.

Sue Porter
RSCDS Youth Director
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

March 16, 2006, 12:45 a.m. (Message 44727, in reply to message 44719)

On 15 Mar 2006 at 9:47, Sue Porter wrote:

> 700 children representing 40 Primary Schools from Glasgow, dancing their
> hearts out for nearly 3 hours in the Kelvin Hall, Glasgow.

	One does hope that various members of th written Press were invited
to attend?  Hmmm?
:))
Sue Porter

Sue Porter

March 15, 2006, 10:51 a.m. (Message 44720, in reply to message 44716)

Apologies ~ spelling error in last sentence of Sue Porter's reply
Should be ' Traditional  ' Scottish Country dancing  not 'rational'
hit wrong button on spell check.

Still 'high' on watching the children dancing.
Sue
Murray & Deanne Corps

Murray & Deanne Corps

March 16, 2006, 9:33 p.m. (Message 44733, in reply to message 44716)

For those that did not get to the BBC Website in time to see the Video
mentioned, BBC Scotland have provided us with the links.

These are available from http://www.rscdsnzb.org.nz/links.htm and listed
under BBC Scotland at the start of the list.

Regards
Murray
Royal Scottish Country Dance Society, New Zealand Branch Incorporated
President : Mrs Janet Favel
Secretary : Mr Murray Corps
P.O. Box 743, Wanganui, New Zealand
Phone : +64 6 344 5300 - Fax : +64 6 344 5454
email : xxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx.xx  Web : www.rscdsnzb.org.nz
Michael and Elaine Laidlaw

Michael and Elaine Laidlaw

March 19, 2006, 8:54 a.m. (Message 44742, in reply to message 44733)

We should draw attention to this in the next Kiwi News. I will try to
remember to do so in my piece if you wish.

Regards

Michael
John Williams

John Williams

March 20, 2006, 3:56 a.m. (Message 44748, in reply to message 44742)

Hello Michael.............yes I think thats a very good idea to cover the
item in your column. Any dancing by children is always of special interest.
Regards,
John.