Where are the RSCDS??? (P.S.)

Volleyballjerry

March 11, 2006, 6:35 p.m. (Message 44633)

In a message dated 03/11/2006 9:15:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

> This is (and again I emphasize only the difference in usage,
> not the correctness of one vs. the other) very jarring to American ears.  We
>
> would say (and write):  "Where IS the RSCDS, where WAS the RSCDS?"  Is this
> colloquial usage in British English (singular collective noun + plural verb)
>
> quite common or merely optional?  Would it also be considered correct in a
> more
> formal setting?

What I neglected to add is that in American English (as perhaps elsewhere as
well) we even tend to do the converse:  to use a singular verb even with a
grammatical plural if the plural indicates a collective:

The United States IS (not are)...
[our local theatrical group] The Conejo Players PRESENTS (not present)...

Robb