Acronyms and abbreviations (was emcee)

  • ...

    Jim Healy March 8, 2006, 10:41 a.m. (Message 44557)

    Greetings!

    Andrea writes:
    >1) The English language, on both sides of the Atlantic has an obsession
    >about shortening words and creating acronyms of compound words. The same
    >does not apply to, for example, romance languages. Certainly not to
    >Italian,

    Andrea, I must disagree. Try reading the Corriere della Sera without knowing
    the meaning of CIGL, CISL and UIL (the main Unions) An, FI, PDS, FI (the
    political parties) and so on, to say nothing of 'democristiani' or l'Ulivo.
    I will agree that other languages can be worse with business letters in
    Dutch leading the way with their t.g.v (in favour of) and t.a.v.(for the
    attention of) and dozens more abbreviations that make them unintelligible
    even to someone who speaks the language.

    Jim Healy
    Perth and 98000 MC
  • ...

    GOSS9@telefonica.net March 8, 2006, 2:17 p.m. (Message 44564, in reply to message 44557)

    True here in Spain. In fact most people my my part do not understand
    Basque, but know that ETA pronounced as spelled, means a terrorist
    group, even without knowing or understanding the acronym. The real
    problem is for outsiders encountering the daily paperfor the first
    time. When I first attended a Scottish university, I was a bit
    overwhelmed by the number of university specific acronyms encountered.

    Having said that, the real problem here is that when one starts with a
    consonant such as M, N, L, F, H, R, S, W, X, the initial sound is not
    picked up.

    Related story about how acronyms travel. At the end of the season two
    summers ago, I was the only one doing laps in the village pool, and the
    lifeguard did not even bother to dress out. I asked what would happen
    if I had a problem to which she answered, that she would probably get
    her clothes wet. I then asked, BTW what does one say for help in this
    part of Spain?

    when her response sounded like the English word "sauce", I asked what
    it meant, thinking some obscure Mallorquí or Arabic word. She said she
    did not know, but that is what they say. That night in a bar, I
    repeated this story and my question, and got laughed at. The word got
    started from those little "help" phones on the major highways on the
    island. The phone boxes say "SOS".