ADMINISTRIVIA: Logging in to my.strathspey and DANCEDATA!

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

March 8, 2006, 2:06 a.m. (Message 44545)

Anselm, you stated that -

  "...once logging in actually works you will be able to do strange
  and wonderful things in DanceData first, such as picking out a
  selection of multiple dances...".

  I am sure that this will be useful (what ever you mean by "picking
  out a selection of multiple dances"), but, why are you doing this
  when Alan should be providing this and other functionality within
  DanceData itself?

  Regards,

  Iain Boyd

Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

March 8, 2006, 2:16 a.m. (Message 44546, in reply to message 44545)

Iain Boyd wrote:

>   I am sure that this will be useful (what ever you mean by "picking out a
> selection of multiple dances"), but, why are you doing this when Alan
> should be providing this and other functionality within DanceData itself?

I should have said »the web-based application based on the DanceData data«.
This and Alan's standalone program don't have anything to do with each other
other than that I'm using Alan's underlying data (with his permission). I
have no control over Alan's plans regarding his software and vice-versa,
although I would of course be happy to compare notes with him whenever he
likes (as he knows).

In general, Alan's program currently has the more sophisticated search
functions et cetera but only works on Windows PCs (although you can run it
under Linux using WINE, a Windows-like environment). My software is fairly
simple-minded as far as searching is concerned but is accessible from any
computer that has a web browser. Eventually my software will have better
searching and, as I said, other strange and wonderful features that make
sense on the Web but probably not within a free-standing program.

Anselm
Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.
                                                         -- Robert A. Heinlein