Swatting/swotting, was:Intros and recaps (was Taking the floor)

Rebecca Sager

Rebecca Sager

March 6, 2006, 5:46 p.m. (Message 44513)

Verb
1.swat - hit swiftly with a violent blow; "Swat flies"Verb1.swot -
study intensively, as before an exam; "I had to bone up on my Latin
verbs before the final exam"

This isn't a usage common on this side of the Atlantic, but when I was
a girl in England we swotted before exams. This is the second time
recently I've seen the more used but wrong, in this case, word on this
list!
Becky
Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
...so dancers have
plenty of time to swat up on dances they don't know.  .
Helen Brown

Helen Brown

March 7, 2006, 12:59 p.m. (Message 44524, in reply to message 44513)

Becky wrote:

>Verb
>1.swat - hit swiftly with a violent blow; "Swat flies"Verb1.swot - study
>intensively, as before an exam; "I had to bone up on my Latin verbs before
>the final exam"

>This isn't a usage common on this side of the Atlantic, but when I was a
>girl in England we swotted before exams. This is the second time recently
>I've seen the more used but wrong, in this case, word on this list!

Ooops!   Sorry, not a mistake I normally make.   I have been suitably
chastised.

Mind you, watching people waving their cribs around to describe the dance,
they could well have been swatting flies rather than swotting up the dance!

Helen

Helen C N Brown
York, UK