History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides

Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

Feb. 12, 2006, 11:27 p.m. (Message 44224)

The manual describes that the original formation of RSCDS was for the
purposes of teaching Scottish rather than English country dances to
the Scottish Girls Guides. However, I find no mention of whether that
was actually achieved and if so, how long it lasted.

Any insight into this is appreciated.

Regards,
   Alex.
Elainerb

Elainerb

Feb. 13, 2006, 12:28 a.m. (Message 44225, in reply to message 44224)

I don't know about the girl guides, because I was in the girls  guildry.   In
the late 50's/early 60's we did scd for about 30 minutes  every Monday night
in the church hall.

We also did it in school as part of PE.   and then in the 70's I  taught it
in PE.

I agree with Stella, not everyone in Scotland does SCD, but thye know  what
it is!
Just as , everyone one in the USA doesn't do square dancing, but everyone  is
aware of it and what it is!  (scarey thought really!  :-))

Elaine
Deirdre MacCuish Bark

Deirdre MacCuish Bark

Feb. 13, 2006, 3:07 a.m. (Message 44226, in reply to message 44224)

I learned to do Scottish Country Dancing through the Girl Guide movement in
Inverness, Scotland between 1958 and 1962.   We used to enter the Inverness
Music Festival.  The entire Guide Company also had to sing in Gaelic in the
music festival.

 At school in Inverness and elsewhere in Scotland, I only had what is now
described as Ceilidh dancing. However I do not remember being told anything
about the RSCDS, and only knew about Mrs Stewart's involvement with the
Scottish Guides from the Manual.

Deirdre MacCuish Bark
Ontario, Canada
Helen Beaney

Helen Beaney

Feb. 13, 2006, 12:54 p.m. (Message 44231, in reply to message 44224)

Although I learned SCD at school and do not remember ever doing it at
Guides, I have taught it to (English) Brownies. (7-10year old Guides).
  Helen
  in Dublin

xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
  5. History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
(Alexandre Rafalovitch)
6. Re: History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
(xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx)
7. RE: History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
(Deirdre MacCuish Bark)
8. girl guides (Stella Fogg)
9. Re: Mapping RSCDS (more high-tech toys) (Alan Paterson)
10. Re: Mapping RSCDS (more high-tech toys) (Sophie Rickebusch)
11. RE: Scottishness to be able to do SCD (Was pas de basque
coupe -CORRECTION) (Pia)
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

Feb. 13, 2006, 1:24 p.m. (Message 44232, in reply to message 44231)

Alex,

I do not have my copy of 'An Album for Mrs Stewart' here in the office :)
but Mrs Stewart was the Guide Commissioner for Argyll and definitely ensured
that Guides were taught SCD in Scotland (and not ECD). In the early days of
the Society a number of organisations provided representatives to the
forerunner fo the old Executive Council including the Guides and these were
duly listed in the original editions of the books.

At present, Guides are still dancing in Scotland and, indeed, it is doubtful
if the SCD section of the Perth Music Festival would stil be taking place if
it were not for the Brownie, Guide and Ranger teams.

Jim Healy
Monaco

Although I learned SCD at school and do not remember ever doing it at
Guides, I have taught it to (English) Brownies. (7-10year old Guides).
   Helen
   in Dublin

xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
   5. History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
(Alexandre Rafalovitch)
6. Re: History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
(xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx)
7. RE: History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
(Deirdre MacCuish Bark)
8. girl guides (Stella Fogg)
9. Re: Mapping RSCDS (more high-tech toys) (Alan Paterson)
10. Re: Mapping RSCDS (more high-tech toys) (Sophie Rickebusch)
11. RE: Scottishness to be able to do SCD (Was pas de basque
coupe -CORRECTION) (Pia)
Jinkdiddle

Jinkdiddle

Feb. 13, 2006, 3:26 p.m. (Message 44237, in reply to message 44224)

In a message dated 2/12/2006 5:29:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx writes:

However,  I find no mention of whether that
was actually achieved and if so, how long  it lasted.

Not only was SCD taught in Guides - there was a merit badge for  SCD.  It was
one of the first I earned - so that would have been in the  early 60s.
I just pulled out my uniform (I, who claim NOT to be a pack rat!) and the
badge depicts a female "chuchter" - just as I recalled.  I suppose the
limitations of machine embroidery and available space rendered the figure  somewhat
stylised!  She is dressed in what appears to be a tartan dress  (the only badge
I possessed that had any red in it - most were just green  thread on a black
field); she has her left arm on top of her head (monkey  fashion), her right
arm flailing in the wind; she is wearing what I now  interpret as a sash, flying
free (though I always thought it resembled bobbing  pigtails) and is hopping
on her right foot with her left foot crossed (YES, I do  mean crossed!) in
front of her left leg just below the knee.

Enough history?  :)

Moira Turner
Chesterfield VA
Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

Feb. 13, 2006, 4:03 p.m. (Message 44242, in reply to message 44237)

On 2/13/06, xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx <xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx> wrote:

> Not only was SCD taught in Guides - there was a merit badge for  SCD.  It was
> one of the first I earned - so that would have been in the  early 60s.
> I just pulled out my uniform (I, who claim NOT to be a pack rat!) and the
> badge depicts a female "chuchter" - just as I recalled.
>
> Enough history?  :)

Wow! Anybody has one of this images online? Or could be scanned or
photographed and uploaded (even to the frappr maps)?

I know RSCDS collects all these (part of the objects, in fact), but I
am quite far from Scotland and still would love to see that.

Alex.