Mapping RSCDS (more high-tech toys)

  • ...

    Alexandre Rafalovitch Feb. 7, 2006, 6:20 a.m. (Message 44171)

    Hi,

    I know that RSCDS website has a map of branches, but I thought it
    might be nice to try making one that is fast and easy to update (and
    plays with modern technology).

    For that, I have created a RSCDS map at: http://www.frappr.com/rscds

    Check it out and add your group to the map (perhaps with group's
    website URL). It should be fairly easy, but if anybody is having
    problems, let me know offline and I will try to help.

    Regards,
       Alex.
  • ...

    T L Harris Feb. 7, 2006, 9:37 a.m. (Message 44173, in reply to message 44171)

    Thanks Alex. I've added Pretoria's. It worked quickly and easily. I
    even managed to add a photo! :-)

    Terry Lynne Harris
    RSCDS Pretoria Branch
    South Africa

    >>> xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx 07-02-06 07:20 >>>
    Hi,

    I know that RSCDS website has a map of branches, but I thought it
    might be nice to try making one that is fast and easy to update (and
    plays with modern technology).

    For that, I have created a RSCDS map at: http://www.frappr.com/rscds

    Check it out and add your group to the map (perhaps with group's
    website URL). It should be fairly easy, but if anybody is having
    problems, let me know offline and I will try to help.

    Regards,
       Alex.
  • ...

    John Chambers Feb. 9, 2006, 3:48 a.m. (Message 44197, in reply to message 44171)

    Alex wrote:
    | I know that RSCDS website has a map of branches, but I thought it
    | might be nice to try making one that is fast and easy to update (and
    | plays with modern technology).
    |
    | For that, I have created a RSCDS map at: http://www.frappr.com/rscds
    |
    | Check it out and add your group to the map (perhaps with group's
    | website URL). It should be fairly easy, but if anybody is having
    | problems, let me know offline and I will try to help.

    Funny thing; I'd put a marker on a frappr map for another group  that
    I'm  a part of, and then when nobody else from Boston added the local
    branch, I decided to do it.  Disaster! My two entries are both there,
    hopelessly  garbled  together.  I've been trying to figure out how to
    fix it, or remove one of them; total failure.  Apparently  it  didn't
    occur to them that someone might actually be in two groups.

    Right now, the rcsds map seems to have an entry with my name, no clue
    that  the  pin  has  anything to do with the RSCDS, and it in Medford
    (where the dances happen) in both groups' maps.  I'll keep trying  to
    fix it.  Or maybe see if I can delete one of them.
  • ...

    Alexandre Rafalovitch Feb. 9, 2006, 4:16 a.m. (Message 44198, in reply to message 44197)

    John,

    I think the basic concept is one person - one marker (per map); so
    probably not too people. Though I do see people somehow added things
    twice. I don't think they get two locations though.

    I think you can create two accounts. Alternative, if you give me the
    address details (post code, website url, etc.), I will manually add
    them in with the infrormation. I can also delete members from the map
    if you get totally lost.

    It would also be nice to add some more remote branches. I found a
    website for one of the group in Lyon (France), have to email to them.
    Do we have anybody from Japan on this list to convince to add
    themselves?

    Also, I am happy to resolve the problems offlist to avoid annoying other people.

    Regards,
       Alex.
  • ...

    Ian Brockbank Feb. 9, 2006, 10:53 a.m. (Message 44199, in reply to message 44198)

    Hi John,

    I added Edinburgh Branch and Dunedin Dancers by giving different contact
    email addresses (the standard group contact for each).

    Alex - I couldn't see where to add a web site.  It only seemed to offer a
    link to within Frappr.

    Cheers,

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    http://www.scottishdance.net/
  • ...

    Alexandre Rafalovitch Feb. 9, 2006, 2:06 p.m. (Message 44204, in reply to message 44199)

    Ian,

    I did mean put the website URL link, not the whole website.

    Regards,
       Alex.
  • ...

    Andrew Buxton Feb. 9, 2006, 11:10 a.m. (Message 44200, in reply to message 44198)

    It has put our club (Brighton) in the sea!  I imagine it doesn't go
    any more accurately than the town?

      Andrew Buxton
      Brighton, UK

    Alexandre Rafalovitch <xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx> wrote:
[...]

    Ian Brockbank Feb. 9, 2006, 11:32 a.m. (Message 44201, in reply to message 44200)

    Hi Andrew,

    > It has put our club (Brighton) in the sea!  I imagine it
    > doesn't go any more accurately than the town?

    Zoom in on the map - you can then put it accurate to a street!

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    http://www.scottishdance.net/
  • ...

    Andrew Buxton Feb. 9, 2006, 1:06 p.m. (Message 44202, in reply to message 44201)

    Thanks, Ian.  We're now on dry land again and positioned with perfect accuracy.

      Andrew

    Ian Brockbank <xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
      Hi Andrew,

    > It has put our club (Brighton) in the sea! I imagine it
    > doesn't go any more accurately than the town?

    Zoom in on the map - you can then put it accurate to a street!

    ---------------------------------
    To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new
    Yahoo! Security Centre.
  • ...

    Alexandre Rafalovitch Feb. 9, 2006, 2:06 p.m. (Message 44203, in reply to message 44202)

    Andrew, you can also edit the GPS coordinates somewhere in the
    myFrappr section, down to the very precise number.

    Alex.
  • ...

    Alan Paterson Feb. 13, 2006, 8:22 a.m. (Message 44228, in reply to message 44171)

    On 07/02/2006 06:20, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know that RSCDS website has a map of branches, but I thought it
    > might be nice to try making one that is fast and easy to update (and
    > plays with modern technology).
    >
    > For that, I have created a RSCDS map at: http://www.frappr.com/rscds
    >
    > Check it out and add your group to the map (perhaps with group's
    > website URL). It should be fairly easy, but if anybody is having
    > problems, let me know offline and I will try to help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >    Alex.

    Won't work with me. Berne is apparently an Invalid City (I must let the
    Swiss know about this).

    Alan
  • ...

    Sophie Rickebusch Feb. 13, 2006, 8:51 a.m. (Message 44229, in reply to message 44228)

    I had the same problem with Zurich, until I accepted the suggestion which popped
    up to complete the box, which said "Zurich, Zurich (Switzerland)", the second
    Zurich presumably refering to the canton. The map for Switzerland is pretty basic,
    just an outline with a few lakes, but you get a bit more detail with the satellite
    image - and even quite a nice resolution for the Zurich area and a bit of Ticino. I
    was able to put the pin right on St Andrew's Church.

    Sophie

    --
    Sophie Rickebusch
    CH - Wettswil a. A.

    Alexandre Rafalovitch Feb. 13, 2006, 2:19 p.m. (Message 44234, in reply to message 44228)

    On 2/13/06, Alan Paterson <xxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx> wrote:
    > On 07/02/2006 06:20, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > Won't work with me. Berne is apparently an Invalid City (I must let the
    > Swiss know about this).

    I have Bern, Bern (Switzerland) when I switch to non-USA. Please try
    again and let me know directly if it does not work. Worst case, I can
    always find the geo coordinates and put them in directly (Lat./Long.)

    Regards,
       Alex.
  • ...

    Sophie Rickebusch Feb. 13, 2006, 2:33 p.m. (Message 44235, in reply to message 44234)

    Yes, it should work provided you put "non-USA" and write: town, canton
    (country). It even accepted "Dietlikon, Zurich (Switzerland)" and that's hardly a
    thriving city (more a one-dog village) so it should definitely find Berne (you might
    have to try Bern or Berne...)

    Cheers,
    Sophie

    --
    Sophie Rickebusch
    CH - Wettswil a. A.

    Bryan McAlister Feb. 13, 2006, 3:08 p.m. (Message 44236, in reply to message 44234)

    There is a general problem with the Google maps (particularly with
    Google Earth that they have a tendency to default to any hicksville USA
    that happens to have a place name, restaurant name, launderette name etc
    borrowed from an "old country". GWB probably thought I--- was a diner in
    Ohio:-)

    In message
    <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxx.xxx>, Alexandre
    Rafalovitch <xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx> writes

    --
    Bryan McAlister
  • ...

    Alexandre Rafalovitch Feb. 13, 2006, 3:58 p.m. (Message 44241, in reply to message 44236)

    For USA based companies, part of this is due to easy(ish) access to
    the geocoded information of USA names. I don't know whether Scotland
    or England have that as easily available.

    Still, in general, it is difficult to underestimate the
    country-centrism. At least the Frappr guys made an effort.

    Regards,
       Alex.
  • ...

    Volleyballjerry Feb. 13, 2006, 5:46 p.m. (Message 44246, in reply to message 44171)

    In a message dated 02/12/2006 11:23:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
    xxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx writes:

    > Won't work with me. Berne is apparently an Invalid City (I must let the
    > Swiss know about this).
    >

    > Alan

    Don't know whether this is a factor (I suppose that it depends on where the
    programing has been done), but American spelling uses the German "Bern" rather
    than the French "Berne."  This is also true of Basel, but does not seem to be
    completely universal, as Lucerne is generally used rather than Luzern.

    Robb Quint
    Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
  • ...

    Eike Albert-Unt Feb. 14, 2006, 9:37 a.m. (Message 44254, in reply to message 44171)

    Are the pictures at the website copyrighted? Or do the people who put these
    up allow them to be used at other homepages as well? (for illustration
    purposes)

    Regards,
    Eike
  • ...

    Ian Brockbank April 10, 2006, 10:13 p.m. (Message 45002, in reply to message 44171)

    HI Alex,

    I've now added this to my groups pages and SCD links.

    Cheers,

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx