Spell checkers

Bruce Hamilton

Feb. 5, 2006, 5:53 p.m. (Message 44147)

Richard Goss wrote:

> I once altered my spell checker to automaticly substitue the first
> suggestion for the suspect word. Then submitted my class roster.
>
>   Cary Hart > Carry Heart,
>   Alejandra Ramos > Allegedly Remiss,
>   Eric Bartel > Epic Brothel

Lovely!  My spell-checker keeps wanting to replace "Drewry" with
"Dreary" :-)

Bruce Hamilton      xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx   650-328-0474 (home)
xxxxx_xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx   650-485-1103 (fax)   650-485-2818 (work)
Fyreladdie

Fyreladdie

Feb. 5, 2006, 9:12 p.m. (Message 44148, in reply to message 44147)

Bruce,
A friend of mine, Nirmal is from India. His spell-check alwayys wants to
change his name to Normal. He's always saying, "Nirmal is not Normal."

<< Lovely!  My spell-checker keeps wanting to replace "Drewry" with
"Dreary" :-) >>
Richard Goss

Richard Goss

Feb. 5, 2006, 10:01 p.m. (Message 44149, in reply to message 44147)

Dreary Drewry, your checker would probably be ranked as a remidial beginner.
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

Feb. 6, 2006, 1:20 p.m. (Message 44161, in reply to message 44149)

Greetings!

I had the same problem with Dreary Drewry but compounded when the
spellchecker changed a dem set from 'A Drewry Medley' to 'A Dreary Muddle'.

The application should have accepted "medley" leading one of the team to
suggest this proved that computers _are_ sentient(?)

Jim Healy
Monaco
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

Feb. 6, 2006, 11:51 p.m. (Message 44166, in reply to message 44161)

> The application should have accepted "medley" leading one of the team to
> suggest this proved that computers _are_ sentient(?)
>
> Jim Healy
> Monaco

	No, Jim.  It just proves that you do not upgrade your dictionary!!

However that correction can prove uncannily correct on some
occasions!    :~)