curious

  • ...

    Martin Feb. 3, 2006, 11:22 a.m. (Message 44078)

    Messages from Strathspey often appear to have an attachment (according to
    the Outlook Express icons).
    I though it was forbidden. Is something underhand afoot?

    I also get postmaster messages telling that my messages to Strphapsey could
    not be delivred to various unknown personnages.
    Just more clutter in the mailbox, I guess.

    Martin
  • ...

    Sophie Rickebusch Feb. 3, 2006, 11:47 a.m. (Message 44081, in reply to message 44078)

    Yes, I've noticed attachments seeming to appear with some messages lately too. I
    think it's linked to whether the message is plain text or not - when there's an
    attachment, there's also a line at the top saying "This message was written in a
    character set other than your own." and offering the possibility of opening it in a
    new window if it doesn't display correctly. This is something my webmail does
    because of its limited display capabilities (I think - things like accents typed on a
    French computer often turn into something weird). I don't see any attachment
    when I get the same e-mail at home (using a standard mail software).

    I think it's nothing to be worried about, but no doubt Anselm or one of the
    numerous other "computer people" (as opposed to dabblers like myself) on this list
    will give a more accurate explanation.

    Sophie

    --
    Sophie Rickebusch
    CH - Wettswil a. A.

    Anselm Lingnau Feb. 3, 2006, 12:13 p.m. (Message 44082, in reply to message 44081)

    Sophie Rickebusch wrote:

    > I think it's nothing to be worried about, but no doubt Anselm or one of the
    > numerous other "computer people" (as opposed to dabblers like myself) on
    > this list will give a more accurate explanation.

    This is really very simple: If a message allegedly comes from Strathspey but
    has an attachment of whatever kind, it can't be from Strathspey. Repeat after
    me:

      THE STRATHSPEY LIST DOES NOT DO ATTACHMENTS.

    The messages you're seeing probably result from other folks' computers which
    are running certain kinds of viruses/worms. These programs pick a random
    address out of the host's address book to use for camouflage when they're
    sending messages to everybody else in the address book. Since Strathspey is
    fairly popular (I'm glad to say) it does turn up in rather a lot of address
    books, so the chances of it being used as cover for worms are pretty fair.

    As far as »postmaster messages« are concerned: All the postmaster messages to
    do with Strathspey mail distributions should go to myself (or, rather, my
    mailing list software, which takes care of most of them automatically).
    Everything else is either a sign of severe breakage on the part of the
    receiving mail server, or something else entirely. There are, again,
    viruses/worms who send out messages that pretend to be postmaster »bounces«,
    in the hope that these will be looked at more thoroughly than garden-variety
    spam.

    If you are in doubt about anything in your mailbox that looks as if it might
    have come from Strathspey, feel free to forward me a copy privately so I can
    have a look at it.

    Anselm
    But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who
    are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton,
    they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                                                                     -- Carl Sagan
  • ...

    Alex Tweedly Feb. 3, 2006, 12:28 p.m. (Message 44085, in reply to message 44082)

    Anselm Lingnau wrote:

    >Sophie Rickebusch wrote:
    >

    >>I think it's nothing to be worried about, but no doubt Anselm or one of the
    >>numerous other "computer people" (as opposed to dabblers like myself) on
    >>this list will give a more accurate explanation.
    >>

    >This is really very simple: If a message allegedly comes from Strathspey but
    >has an attachment of whatever kind, it can't be from Strathspey. Repeat after
    >me:
    >
    >  THE STRATHSPEY LIST DOES NOT DO ATTACHMENTS.

    The Strathspey list does not do attachments.

    OK - I've repeated it :-)
    But - much (not all) of the mail that comes to me from Strathspey list
    arrives as MIME Multipart messages, and Firefox (and presumably other
    email clients) will describe this as an email with attachments.

    The following email (complete message source) shows up as though it had
    two attachments - "Part 1.2" and "Part 1.3"; which were the sections

    and

    Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    respectively.

    Complete message text:

    Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:44:57 +0000
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    From: Bryan McAlister <xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx>
    Subject: White Heather Club
    Sender: strathspey-bounces-alex=xxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx

    --===============0940947157==

    Those of you who can access BBC 4 TV channel may wish to know that this
    evening they are screening a 1960 White Heather Club Burns Special at
    2300 HRS GMT (Friday 3rd February.)
    --
    Bryan McAlister

    --===============0940947157==
  • ...

    Bryan McAlister Feb. 3, 2006, 1:18 p.m. (Message 44090, in reply to message 44085)

    What a privilege to be used as an example.

    Just for information I use Turnpike a proprietary Email software suite
    native to Demon ISP ( I don't use MS Word or Outlook Express) which is
    set to auto send MIME, any attachments I do send are likely to be PDF or
    CAD type formats.

    (and Virus checked by Norton.)

    In message <xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx>, Alex Tweedly
    <xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx> writes

    --
    Bryan McAlister
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Feb. 3, 2006, 1:26 p.m. (Message 44092, in reply to message 44085)

    Alex Tweedly wrote:

    > But - much (not all) of the mail that comes to me from Strathspey list
    > arrives as MIME Multipart messages, and Firefox (and presumably other
    > email clients) will describe this as an email with attachments.

    This is weird. I was going to blame your anti-virus software, but on closer
    checking it seems that it is something the [censored] Mailman does. It drives
    me up the wall because that link is no use, anyway, and never has been :^(

    So it seems that I'll have to ask you to bear with me for another week or two.
    I'm currently teaching my new mailing list software about digests, and once
    that works to my satisfaction it'll be curtains for Mailman as far as I'm
    concerned. (I should agree to give talks on my software projects more often
    -- it does wonders for my productivity :^))

    Incidentally, if there's something about digests that you always wanted to
    say, now is the time. I can do plain-text digests as per RFC1153 now but if
    you'd rather have MIME digests I'm going to do that too (though probably not
    both at the same time). Let me know.

    Anselm
    Truth is a good dog; but always beware of barking too close to the heels of an
    error, lest you get your brains kicked out.         -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge
  • ...

    Sophie Rickebusch Feb. 3, 2006, 1:39 p.m. (Message 44093, in reply to message 44085)

    That's what I meant, although obviously I didn't explain it very well. In my case
    they're called "unnamed". They're not attachments in the real sense (ie. something
    the sender attached), it's just the way some messages (HTML ones?) appear in
    some mail applications. If I'm in doubt about a message and can't view the source
    (my provider's web-application won't let me), I usually go and check if it's in the
    latest postings on the strathspey homepage. All the latest postings with these
    kinds of "attachments" were there and were genuine answers to current threads
    by known list members!

    Sophie

    Quoting Alex Tweedly <xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx>:

    > Anselm Lingnau wrote:
    >
    > >Sophie Rickebusch wrote:
    > >

    > >>I think it's nothing to be worried about, but no doubt Anselm or one of
    > the
    > >>numerous other "computer people" (as opposed to dabblers like myself) on
    > >>this list will give a more accurate explanation.
    > >>

    > >This is really very simple: If a message allegedly comes from Strathspey but
    >
    > >has an attachment of whatever kind, it can't be from Strathspey. Repeat
    > after
    > >me:
    > >
    > >  THE STRATHSPEY LIST DOES NOT DO ATTACHMENTS.
    > >

    > The Strathspey list does not do attachments.
    >
    > OK - I've repeated it :-)
    > But - much (not all) of the mail that comes to me from Strathspey list
    > arrives as MIME Multipart messages, and Firefox (and presumably other
    > email clients) will describe this as an email with attachments.
    >
    > The following email (complete message source) shows up as though it had
    > two attachments - "Part 1.2" and "Part 1.3"; which were the sections

    > and

    > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    >
    > respectively.
    >
    > Complete message text:
    >
    > >From - Fri Feb 03 10:49:25 2006
    > Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:44:57 +0000
    > To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    > From: Bryan McAlister <xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx>
    > Subject: White Heather Club
    > Sender: strathspey-bounces-alex=xxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    >
    > --===============0940947157==
    >
    > Those of you who can access BBC 4 TV channel may wish to know that this
    > evening they are screening a 1960 White Heather Club Burns Special at
    > 2300 HRS GMT (Friday 3rd February.)
    > --
    > Bryan McAlister

    > --===============0940947157==--
    >

    > --
    > Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net
    >

    > --

    Sophie Rickebusch
    CH - Wettswil a. A.
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Feb. 3, 2006, 1:50 p.m. (Message 44097, in reply to message 44093)

    Sophie Rickebusch wrote:

    > That's what I meant, although obviously I didn't explain it very well. In
    > my case they're called "unnamed". They're not attachments in the real sense
    > (ie. something the sender attached), it's just the way some messages (HTML
    > ones?) appear in some mail applications.

    Looking at the last few messages I noticed the following: Mailman seems to
    want to append the »link« trailer to the message using a particular character
    encoding (ISO-8859-1, to be exact). If the message is already using that
    encoding to start with (as mine do), it is simply appended to the original
    message body, but if the message's encoding is different (say, »us-ascii«),
    the trailer goes in as an attachment. This is sensible, from one point of
    view; from another point of view it is stupid because nothing in the trailer
    actually requires the national characters in ISO-8859-1.

    >From a third point of view, the trailer is no use, anyway, and an utter waste
    of bandwidth to boot, so I've turned it off in the list configuration. Should
    have done that a year ago, actually. Let's see how things turn out now.

    > If I'm in doubt about a message
    > and can't view the source (my provider's web-application won't let me), I
    > usually go and check if it's in the latest postings on the strathspey
    > homepage.

    Good strategy.

    Anselm
    Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
                                                            -- George Bernard Shaw
  • ...

    Andrew Smith Feb. 5, 2006, 5:02 p.m. (Message 44143, in reply to message 44085)

    I think that the AVG virus checker is the clue. A non-Strathspey friend of
    mine has gone over to this virus-checker and mails from them now show an
    attachment ie a paperclip.
    Some of my mails from know Strathspey correspondents also show this
    characteristic in my mailbox.
    Andrew,
    Bristol, UK.
  • ...

    Alasdair Graham Feb. 5, 2006, 5:29 p.m. (Message 44145, in reply to message 44143)

    Andrew,

    They are getting this 'paperclip' in the attachment field because the person
    who is using AVG has set the configuration to
    "certify incoming" and also "certify outgoing" mail as having been checked
    by AVG.

    To remove this 'paperclip' the user should click once on CONTROL CENTRE then
    the EMAIL SCANNER box then the PROPERTIES button at the bottom then the
    CONFIGURE button.  Under the heading EMAIL SCANNING you can either remove
    the tick from both boxes which say CERTIFY MAIL or place a tick in the two
    boxes which say WITH ATTACHMENTS ONLY.  That way only mail with attachments
    will have the certification and hence the 'paperclip' symbol.
    Provided the tick is kept in the two boxes CHECK INCOMING MAIL and CHECK
    OUTGOING MAIL then all email is still scanned for viruses and you will be
    alerted if any are found.  I have used AVG Free for a number of years and it
    has detected numerous emails trying to come in with virus attachments.  This
    past few months there have been sometimes 4 or 5 on some days.  None have
    got through into my system.  How do I know?  I regularly carry out an online
    scan to double check.

    Alasdair Graham
    Dumbarton, Scotland..
  • ...

    Andrew Smith June 11, 2006, 12:28 p.m. (Message 45506, in reply to message 44145)

    Alasdair,
    Thank you so much for this help - I can only apologise for not thanking you
    earlier, but the beginning of the year was not good, and I was fielding so
    many mails that some inevitably were shelved.
    I have just been trying to tidy things up, having a lull in proceedings, so
    thanks and apologies again.
    Happy dancing.
    Andrew.
  • ...

    Andrew Smith June 11, 2006, 1:05 p.m. (Message 45519, in reply to message 45506)

    Sorry Alasdair and everyone - this was a personal message and not meant to
    be broadcast.
    Andrew.
  • ...

    Cord Walter Feb. 3, 2006, 12:23 p.m. (Message 44083, in reply to message 44078)

    mj.sheffield wrote:
    > Messages from Strathspey often appear to have an attachment (according
    > to the Outlook Express icons).
    > I though it was forbidden. Is something underhand afoot?

    I see attachments named "Part 1.2" using Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5...
    Usually with this content:
  • ...

    Eddy West Feb. 4, 2006, 3:54 a.m. (Message 44126, in reply to message 44078)

    I am also experiencing this on random messages, also my virus system
    suspects a worm attack due to the large number of messages "re: Celtic
    Reels"

    Eddy