Underfoot

Ron Mackey

Feb. 2, 2006, 10:34 p.m. (Message 44058)

On 2 Feb 2006 at 9:18, Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

> Dancing in the street on asphalt or concrete is a bear. Dancing on tile over
> concrete is also hard on the joints. When dancing on these surfaces one
> realizes that there is a reason that most professional dance studios and
> basketball courts have sprung hardwood floors. :-)
>
> Tom Mungall

	I think very few municipal gymnasia floors are sprung these
days, certainly in this area.  Costs too much!!   Most of these places are
used for badminton & indoor football and they are hard and unsprung.
Not very inviting to play on!
Thomas G. Mungall, III

Thomas G. Mungall, III

Feb. 3, 2006, 4:44 p.m. (Message 44111, in reply to message 44058)

Must not be playing much basketball where you live. ;-)

Finding a place with a sprung wood floor is difficult but sure makes a
difference as a dance surface! One group I dance with has a sprung wood
floor while the other is on tile on concrete. Vast difference in my
endurance on these two surfaces, not to mention how my joints and muscles
feel afterwards.

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

Feb. 4, 2006, 1:12 a.m. (Message 44122, in reply to message 44111)

On 3 Feb 2006 at 9:44, Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

> Must not be playing much basketball where you live. ;-)

	Is that some sort of game, Tom?? ^^  :))

> Finding a place with a sprung wood floor is difficult but sure makes a
> difference as a dance surface! One group I dance with has a sprung wood
> floor while the other is on tile on concrete. Vast difference in my
> endurance on these two surfaces, not to mention how my joints and muscles
> feel afterwards.

	Do you find that if you dance on two different surfaces whithin a
short time it takes about three dances before your muscles get 'tuned'
to the 'resonance' of the new floor?   I used always to get that sensation
as we used different floors (one Parquet & the other sprung) each week
and going from sprung to parquet was quite painful.