Sgian Dubh was Scottish Country Dancing VS Scottish Folk Dancing

Thomas G. Mungall, III

Thomas G. Mungall, III

Feb. 1, 2006, 3:17 p.m. (Message 44016)

Richard,
Don't we usually see the spelling as "sgian dubh"?

Tom
Richard Goss

Richard Goss

Feb. 1, 2006, 3:48 p.m. (Message 44019, in reply to message 44016)

Sgean / sgian, don´t know who "we" are, but I have seen it both ways.
Alasdair Graham

Alasdair Graham

Feb. 1, 2006, 4:01 p.m. (Message 44020, in reply to message 44016)

The spelling is listed as SKEAN in the following 11 sources

: Encarta® World English Dictionary, North American Edition
: Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 10th Edition
: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
: Infoplease Dictionary
: Dictionary.com
: Online Plain Text English Dictionary
: Webster's Revised Unabridged, 1913 Edition
: AllWords.com Multi-Lingual Dictionary
: Webster's 1828 Dictionary
: Hutchinson's Dictionary of Difficult Words
: The Phrontistery - A Dictionary of Obscure Words

for those who are 'concerned' about such matters.

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland.
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

Feb. 1, 2006, 4:25 p.m. (Message 44021, in reply to message 44020)

Hi Thomas,

> The spelling is listed as SKEAN in the following 11 sources
>
> : EncartaR World English Dictionary, North American Edition
> : Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 10th Edition
> : The American HeritageR Dictionary of the English Language
> : Infoplease Dictionary
> : Dictionary.com
> : Online Plain Text English Dictionary
> : Webster's Revised Unabridged, 1913 Edition
> : AllWords.com Multi-Lingual Dictionary
> : Webster's 1828 Dictionary
> : Hutchinson's Dictionary of Difficult Words
> : The Phrontistery - A Dictionary of Obscure Words
>
> for those who are 'concerned' about such matters.

In Gaelic it's "sgian" - knife.  Probably one source has picked up an
Anglicised version and the others have copied it.  "Skean" is _not_ a common
spelling in my experience - I would expect "Sgian".

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
Richard Goss

Richard Goss

Feb. 1, 2006, 9:17 p.m. (Message 44025, in reply to message 44020)

Since the spelling had nothing to do with my post, I was really more
interested in the usage of the post, having a "grammar moment" with
the pronoun "we" sans antecedent.