SPINKIE DEN

DOREEN NELSON

Oct. 18, 2001, 11:59 a.m. (Message 27922)

Hi there

Tonight we danced "Spinkie Den".  Do you have any idea what or where
Spinkie Den is.

Doreen Nelson
Rudge, Janet

Rudge, Janet

Oct. 18, 2001, 12:14 p.m. (Message 27923, in reply to message 27922)

I searched on google.com for "Spinkie Den" and came up several
references including http://www.rpasmith.co.uk/leven.htm
("Find your way around Leven, in Fife, Scotland.") -

Letham Glen - Leven has long been renowned for the quality of
its parks, principally Letham Glen on the northern outskirts of
the town.  The Glen, once locally known as 'Spinkie Den', contains
pleasant wooded walks along the banks of the Scoonie Burn and
floral displays which are a riot of colour in spring and summer.
For many, the main attraction is its 'Pets Corner', now known as
the 'Animal Centre', which includes a range of birds and furry
animals of much interest to children.  In the early years of last
century, Letham Glen was the location of an outdoor swimming pool;
later, the site of the pool was converted into a sunken garden
which still remains as an attractive feature of the park.

Spinkie Den is also mentioned in this diary of nature walks -
http://www.maison-otaku.net/~mikado/britain/49.html
and this poem, Sunday Run, by Donald Macgregor -
http://homepages.which.net/~donald.macgregor/sundayrun.html

Encouragingly, Google also found "Spinkie Den" on the RSCDS
Glasgow website and DanceData.

Hope this helps!

Jan
(at work in High Wycombe, UK, and not very busy this morning!)
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Oct. 18, 2001, 1:28 p.m. (Message 27924, in reply to message 27923)

"Rudge, Janet" wrote:

> Encouragingly, Google also found "Spinkie Den" on the RSCDS
> Glasgow website and DanceData.

Interesting. Since I have no note of this dance in my copy (supposedly the
master) of the DanceData database, I was intrigued to read this.

However, on investigating further I see that I have the Strathspey "Blooms of
Spinkie Den". Do you know, Doreen, if this could be the dance you did?

Alan
DOREEN NELSON

DOREEN NELSON

Oct. 18, 2001, 7:43 p.m. (Message 27934, in reply to message 27924)

Hi there

Spinkie Den was in a Glasgow Booklet.

Doreen
Gill Reynolds

Gill Reynolds

Oct. 21, 2001, 6:04 p.m. (Message 27947, in reply to message 27924)

Alan

or it could be Spinkie Den by Nan Lawson (a strathspey for 3 couples), from
the Glasgow 75th Anniversary Book. George and Nan Lawson used to walk in
Spinkie Den when they lived in Fife

Gill
DOREEN NELSON

DOREEN NELSON

Oct. 21, 2001, 9:38 p.m. (Message 27948, in reply to message 27947)

Hi there

Thanks ever so much for your help.  I know it was in a Glasgow Booklet.

Doreen Nelson
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Oct. 22, 2001, 9 a.m. (Message 27949, in reply to message 27947)

Gill Reynolds wrote:

> Alan
>
> or it could be Spinkie Den by Nan Lawson (a strathspey for 3 couples), from
> the Glasgow 75th Anniversary Book. George and Nan Lawson used to walk in
> Spinkie Den when they lived in Fife
>
> Gill

Hmm. Don't know about this book. Is it the same one as "Glasgow Diamond
Jubilee"? If so, then I don't have all the details. If not, then I have NONE of
the details.

Anyone who has this book willing to help me out? (Private replies probably
best).

Alan