SPINKIE DEN

  • ...

    DOREEN NELSON Oct. 18, 2001, 11:59 a.m. (Message 27922)

    Hi there

    Tonight we danced "Spinkie Den".  Do you have any idea what or where
    Spinkie Den is.

    Doreen Nelson
  • ...

    Rudge, Janet Oct. 18, 2001, 12:14 p.m. (Message 27923, in reply to message 27922)

    I searched on google.com for "Spinkie Den" and came up several
    references including http://www.rpasmith.co.uk/leven.htm
    ("Find your way around Leven, in Fife, Scotland.") -

    Letham Glen - Leven has long been renowned for the quality of
    its parks, principally Letham Glen on the northern outskirts of
    the town.  The Glen, once locally known as 'Spinkie Den', contains
    pleasant wooded walks along the banks of the Scoonie Burn and
    floral displays which are a riot of colour in spring and summer.
    For many, the main attraction is its 'Pets Corner', now known as
    the 'Animal Centre', which includes a range of birds and furry
    animals of much interest to children.  In the early years of last
    century, Letham Glen was the location of an outdoor swimming pool;
    later, the site of the pool was converted into a sunken garden
    which still remains as an attractive feature of the park.

    Spinkie Den is also mentioned in this diary of nature walks -
    http://www.maison-otaku.net/~mikado/britain/49.html
    and this poem, Sunday Run, by Donald Macgregor -
    http://homepages.which.net/~donald.macgregor/sundayrun.html

    Encouragingly, Google also found "Spinkie Den" on the RSCDS
    Glasgow website and DanceData.

    Hope this helps!

    Jan
    (at work in High Wycombe, UK, and not very busy this morning!)
  • ...

    Alan Paterson Oct. 18, 2001, 1:28 p.m. (Message 27924, in reply to message 27923)

    "Rudge, Janet" wrote:

    > Encouragingly, Google also found "Spinkie Den" on the RSCDS
    > Glasgow website and DanceData.

    Interesting. Since I have no note of this dance in my copy (supposedly the
    master) of the DanceData database, I was intrigued to read this.

    However, on investigating further I see that I have the Strathspey "Blooms of
    Spinkie Den". Do you know, Doreen, if this could be the dance you did?

    Alan
  • ...

    DOREEN NELSON Oct. 18, 2001, 7:43 p.m. (Message 27934, in reply to message 27924)

    Hi there

    Spinkie Den was in a Glasgow Booklet.

    Doreen
  • ...

    Gill Reynolds Oct. 21, 2001, 6:04 p.m. (Message 27947, in reply to message 27924)

    Alan

    or it could be Spinkie Den by Nan Lawson (a strathspey for 3 couples), from
    the Glasgow 75th Anniversary Book. George and Nan Lawson used to walk in
    Spinkie Den when they lived in Fife

    Gill
  • ...

    DOREEN NELSON Oct. 21, 2001, 9:38 p.m. (Message 27948, in reply to message 27947)

    Hi there

    Thanks ever so much for your help.  I know it was in a Glasgow Booklet.

    Doreen Nelson
  • ...

    Alan Paterson Oct. 22, 2001, 9 a.m. (Message 27949, in reply to message 27947)

    Gill Reynolds wrote:

    > Alan
    >
    > or it could be Spinkie Den by Nan Lawson (a strathspey for 3 couples), from
    > the Glasgow 75th Anniversary Book. George and Nan Lawson used to walk in
    > Spinkie Den when they lived in Fife
    >
    > Gill

    Hmm. Don't know about this book. Is it the same one as "Glasgow Diamond
    Jubilee"? If so, then I don't have all the details. If not, then I have NONE of
    the details.

    Anyone who has this book willing to help me out? (Private replies probably
    best).

    Alan