Give credit to Devisers

  • ...

    e.ferguson Oct. 8, 2001, 2:37 p.m. (Message 27778)

    On 7 Oct 2001, at 22:24, Oberdan Otto wrote:

    > I most wholeheartedly agree. The Wee Green Book is a wonderful
    > product at a most reasonable price. <...>

    > However stories about Pillings heirs taking hard positions on
    > copyright infringement of the contents of their book are a bit much to
    > bear, considering that neither they nor the original Mr. Pillings
    > sought permission from the creators of all those dances to include
    > them in the book. <...>

    Far worse: no Pilling diagrams carry the deviser's name.  Whatever
    the legal position may be, it is ethically unacceptable to cite or
    describe any work of art in any form without giving credit to its
    creator.  Just fancy doing that for a play, a book, a painting, a
    sculpture, a piece of music !  Depriving a deviser of credit for his
    creation does him far more harm than would an illegal copy which
    might cause some small loss of sales.

    We can understand how this improper habit arose: the original (R)SCDS
    booklets contained "traditional" dances only, with no known deviser.
    But ever since the Reel of the 51st Division new devisers have added
    beautiful dances to our repertoire.  There is no excuse for denying
    them the credit for their creations.  All descriptions, cribs and
    Ball programmes should ALWAYS mention the deviser for every dance.

    Happy dancing,

    Eric
    Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH  EINDHOVEN, Netherlands
    tel: (+31)(0)40-243 2878 fax:40-246 7036  e-mail: x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx
  • ...

    maguy paillet Oct. 8, 2001, 3:17 p.m. (Message 27781, in reply to message 27778)

    Hi,
    I agree with Eric Ferguson, being myself an artist-painter.
    About devisor, why only 4 of them are mentioned (DREWRY, FOSS, COSH, HAYNES)
    there is enough space to print the name of the devisor. Have a look in your
    wee green book. Let's ask the printer for the next edition ?
    Cheers,
    MAGUY PAILLET
    in LYON.FRANCE
  • ...

    SnowshoeTS Oct. 8, 2001, 3:25 p.m. (Message 27782, in reply to message 27778)

    Hi

    I hate so seem soppy but I agree with all the previous  posters(?) -

    The devisors ,if known,unqueationably deserve credit AND a source for the
    full text version of dances would makeit possible for us to be sure that we
    were teaching dances according to the original devisors intent (or for those
    of us who like Pillings notation and convenience but insist on reconciling P.
    with original directions ,enablingus to teach  a dance with confidence as to
    accuracy)

    Kirk Bachler
    Twin Cities Branch,Minnesota,USA,RSCDS
  • ...

    Bryan McAlister Oct. 9, 2001, 3:34 p.m. (Message 27816, in reply to message 27782)

    Agreed devisors should receive credit however bear in mind that the
    value of Pillings is that it goes easily in a sporran (or handbag).

    I would prefer it stayed small and legible.  That way there is more
    likelihood that the dances will be done.

    If programmes list the devisors then that should be adequate.

    However what about the poor composers of the music.  Shouldn't they get
    a mention too.  Its easy enough to ask the band to list the tunes they
    intend to play as for country dancing there isn't likely to be any
    improv.

    As a rider to this for a recent Ceilidh in the Assembly Rooms in
    Edinburgh we were passed a schedule and required to name every tune -
    composer and arranger - that we intended to play for purposes of
    Performing Rights. On objecting we were told no schedule no dance.

    The result, given we make our programmes as we go to fit the dancers,
    was a very long list of tunes, most identified as traditional, all
    identified as arranged by Caerketton the name of the band. With a rider
    that we couldn't guarantee to play them in any specific order, number of
    times etc. etc.  We are waiting with interest for November which is when
    such matters are considered, to see the royalties we got from the Gig.
    Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
    Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
    Email xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx
    Mobile phone 07801 793849
    FAX number - 0870 052 7625
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Oct. 8, 2001, 2:59 p.m. (Message 27786, in reply to message 27778)

    Eric Ferguson <x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx> writes:

    > Far worse: no Pilling diagrams carry the deviser's name.

    That's not strictly true -- a bunch of them say `Drewry' or `Cosh'.
    However I agree that the WGB's attitude to crediting authors and citing
    sources can only be described as extremely lax.

    I also agree with Peter Hastings in that programmes (or cribs) should
    really mention a published source for a dance, if available, in addition
    to the deviser's name. This is not as much of an issue now that we have
    DanceData, but still this is helpful information that costs nothing to
    include and ought to be provided as a matter of course.

    Anselm
    --
    Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Unix is not a `A-ha' experience, it is more of a `holy-shit' experience.

    Peter Hastings Oct. 8, 2001, 6:17 p.m. (Message 27787, in reply to message 27778)

    > This is not as much of an issue now that we have DanceData...

    ...but most SCDers don't.

    Peter Hastings
    Royal Observatory
    Edinburgh
    :)
  • ...

    Donna Robinson Oct. 10, 2001, 1:50 p.m. (Message 27836, in reply to message 27787)

    Hi,

    > ...but most SCDers don't.

    It would be interesting to know what percentage of dancers do have access to
    the web.  Does anyone have any guesses re this?

    Donna
  • ...

    Fyreladdie Oct. 9, 2001, 4:21 p.m. (Message 27819, in reply to message 27778)

    In a message dated 10/9/01 7:01:57 AM, xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx writes:

    <<
    However what about the poor composers of the music.  Shouldn't they get
    a mention too.  Its easy enough to ask the band to list the tunes they
    intend to play as for country dancing there isn't likely to be any
    improv. >>

    I think that most composers are glad when sheet music has their name attached
    to it. At least the recognition is seen by the band. That is all that's
    required unless someone wishes to record it. That, however, is another issue.
    I devise dances and compose dance music myself and don't feel any need to
    include my name in a program. The MC may choose to mention it but it is not
    required. It would also depend on whether the person made a living writting
    and performing music. Acknowledgement might be more important in that case.

    Bob Mc Murtry
    Felton, Calif