odd-length phrasing

  • ...

    Martin.Sheffield Oct. 4, 2001, 3:47 p.m. (Message 27756)

    Anselm wrote:
    >I would like to
    >suggest that for a real challenge, 7-bar or 9-bar phrases might be more
    >interesting.

    Try English country dancing for a change; no shortage of odd-length phrases
    in the older dances.

    Surprisingly enough, the 7, 11 or 13-bar phrases shock us less then we
    might have expected.  Although we now limit ourselves to 8-bar phrases most
    of the time, Baroque music had a far greater variety. have we been dumbing
    down?
    Martin,
     in Grenoble, France.

     http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
                  (dance groups,  events,  some new dances ...)