Cribs (RSCDS Elitism)

  • ...

    Doug Mills Oct. 5, 2001, 2:59 a.m. (Message 27752)

    Donna Robinson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > As a newbie to SCD, it has taken vast amounts of determination and fortitude
    > to overcome the RSCDS's elitist (sorry guys) attitude w.r.t. cribs and/or
    > briefings.

    Donna

    I can't agree that the RSCDS is elitist when it comes to briefings.

    Part of both the Preliminary Certificate and the Teachers Certificate Test is the
    ability to brief a dance clearly and correctly.  From this I would say that the
    Society is actually wanting to encourage good dance briefing.

    I don't know if the RSCDS has a position on cribs, but my objection to them is
    not how they are written, but that they give dancers something onto which they
    can write their dance partners, thus booking a full nights dancing within the
    first 10 minutes.  This leaves people like me who refuse to do this spending the
    night trying to find a like minded partner who isn't already "booked up".

    I don't think there is a solution to this problem, as it can be quite nice to
    have cribs (or an individual programme) at a dance, but it certainly leads to an
    air of anti-sociability  for me.

    Cheers

    Doug Mills
    Christchurch NZ