Braes of Tulliemet. Was Harvest Social, Oct. 27

  • ...

    Patricia Ruggiero Oct. 2, 2001, 4:20 a.m. (Message 27644)

    Paula asked:
    "I'm interested to know the difference between the 101 and book 7/12
    versions of Braes of Tulliemet."

    101 is a lot wordier.
    Spelling in 101 is Tullimet.

    TACNotes says, for Bars 13-14, "nearer hand lead."

    TACNotes also says, for Bars 9-12, "finish on sidelines," although neither
    101 or 7/12 suggests otherwise.

    This feels like one of those cartoon quizzes:  "Hey kids, can you spot 7
    differences between these two drawings?"  I sure can't.

    Pat
  • ...

    Paula Jacobson Oct. 2, 2001, 5:21 a.m. (Message 27646, in reply to message 27644)

    Well, since the dance list for this event specified "101 version, not RSCDS
    7/12"
    I just wondered what the difference would be, and I still wonder. So far all
    I have
    for an answer is that one would be dancing to a different spelling. Perhaps
    the person
    who wrote up the dance program knows.

    Paula

    "I'm interested to know the difference between the 101 and book 7/12
    versions of Braes of Tulliemet."

    101 is a lot wordier.
    Spelling in 101 is Tullimet.

    TACNotes says, for Bars 13-14, "nearer hand lead."

    TACNotes also says, for Bars 9-12, "finish on sidelines," although neither
    101 or 7/12 suggests otherwise.

    This feels like one of those cartoon quizzes:  "Hey kids, can you spot 7
    differences between these two drawings?"  I sure can't.

    Pat
  • ...

    Patricia Ruggiero Oct. 3, 2001, 3:10 a.m. (Message 27683, in reply to message 27646)

    Maybe the program devisor just happened to have the 101 book to hand, or
    maybe that person doesn't have a complete set of RSCDS books.  I really did
    look over both versions carefully, and I assure you that there's no
    difference in the track of the dances.  And I'm with you on its being a
    favorite dance -- powerful tune and solid, satisfying figures.

    Pat

    Paula wrote:
    "Well, since the dance list for this event specified "101 version, not RSCDS
    7/12" I just wondered what the difference would be, and I still wonder. So
    far all I have for an answer is that one would be dancing to a different
    spelling. Perhaps the person who wrote up the dance program knows."
  • ...

    Norah Link Oct. 3, 2001, 6:39 p.m. (Message 27700, in reply to message 27644)

    Since Priscilla doesn't seem to be answering, I will post to the list her
    comment from this weekend:  apparently in the 101 version, on bars 13-16 1st
    cpl dance up, CROSS to own sides and cast to face 1st corners, whereas in
    book 7 they stay on opp. sides to cast and face 1st corners.  She prefers
    the cross and cast.  (Note: I don't have 101 myself, am just reporting what
    she said.  Perhaps someone who has both books would check again.)

    regards,

    Norah Link (Montreal, QC, Canada)
  • ...

    Brian Charlton Oct. 4, 2001, 9:01 a.m. (Message 27727, in reply to message 27700)

    G'Day All,

    I have a copy of 101 dances, which reads for bars 13-16:

    "1st couple lead up the middle to the top of the set, then cast off one
    place on the wrong sides of the dance and turn to face 1st corners."

    Thus, there is no CROSS in this description.

    I suppose that the "turn to face 1st corners" could be interpreted to mean
    that the dancing couple give hands to turn.

    101 is much more wordy than Book 7 and I like the fact that "wrong" in 101
    has been changed to "opposite" in book 7. After all, what is "wrong" about
    being on the other side of the set?

    Brian Charlton,
    Sydney, Australia
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Oct. 3, 2001, 10 p.m. (Message 27713, in reply to message 27644)

    Norah Link <xxxxx@xxx.xxx> writes:

    > (Note: I don't have 101 myself, am just reporting what
    > she said.  Perhaps someone who has both books would check again.)

    I have 101 SCD (the 1972 reprint) in front of me and it says

      13-16  1st couple lead up the middle to the top of the set, then cast
             off one place on the wrong sides of the dance and turn to face
             1st corners.

    Book 7 (the 1986 edition) tells us that

      13-16  1st couple lead up to the top and cast off one place and finish
             facing first corners. 3rd couple step down on bars 15-16.

    Looks the same to me. Incidentally, 101 SCD has a note in front that
    says

      This book is published with the full approval of the Royal Scottish
      Country Dance Society.

    so even if 101 SCD was published at Miss Milligan's private pleasure
    rather than that of the Society, it ought to be safe for us to assume
    that the dances didn't differ from the official RSCDS publications.

    Anselm
    --
    Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Thursday night - Potluck Supper. Prayer and medication to follow.

    hways Oct. 3, 2001, 10:53 p.m. (Message 27721, in reply to message 27713)

    My copy of 101 (reprinted January 1957) has:
    13 - 16  First couple lead up the middle to the top of the set, then cast
    off one place
    on their own sides of the dance and cross over to face 1st corners.
    This has to be an error, since they started this on opposite sides and are
    not told to cross over at the top. And it would be a long way to go if they
    did.

    Harry
  • ...

    res009k3 Oct. 3, 2001, 9:19 p.m. (Message 27717, in reply to message 27644)

    Norah, see my recently previous in re.

    According to 101 and VII-12, 1s should definitely not cross on bars
    13-16 according to the notes.
    But as I stated, the figure which you describe was probably the
    correct original, misinterpreted by Miss M (101) and the SCDS
    (VII-12).

    I personally feel that unless there is a specific good reason, this
    change from RSCDS notes should not be recommended in any official way
    as it only leads to antisocial disagreement on the floor.

    On the other hand, if a couple often dance togather, and if no others
    but this couple are inconvenienced or involved, there is no reason why
    that couple can not opt to change ...
         lead up and cast to corners
         cross up and cast to corners
    as the result is the same and no one else is involved.