Domino 5

  • ...

    robert clyne Sept. 27, 2001, 11:27 p.m. (Message 27567)

    Does anyone have the instructions for the above dance I have just heard of.

    R Clyne.
  • ...

    Patricia Ruggiero Sept. 28, 2001, 3:14 a.m. (Message 27571, in reply to message 27567)

    Jay Andrews introduced the Charlottesville group to this dance back in July,
    when he visited us as a guest teacher.  It's quite an enjoyable dance, what
    with its interesting formation of 5 dancers (4 in a square with the 5th in
    the middle).  Unfortunately, I don't remember all the figures, but Jay's on
    this list, so I'm certain you'll hear from him soon.

    Pat
    Charlottesville, Virginia USA

    Robert asked:
    "Does anyone have the instructions for the above dance I have just heard
    of."
  • ...

    SnowshoeTS Sept. 28, 2001, 3:29 a.m. (Message 27572, in reply to message 27567)

    Hi

    As we do it for performance( so it may have been slightly modified- I don't
    know so please correct me)

    Domino Five R 32 (5 dancers) Haynes/Carnesworth

    Dancersin a square w. one In the center. Numbering: D4              D5

                                                        D1

                                                    D3      D2

    1-4 D1,D2,D5  rt.hands across
    5-8 D1,D3,D4  rt. hands across
    9-16 D1,,D3,D5 rt shoulder reel of  3 (D!,D5pass rt to begin)
    17-24 D1,D2,D4 left shoulder reel of 3 (D1,D4 pass lft to begin)
    25-26 D1,D5 change places by rt. shoulder
    27-28 D5,D4    "            "         "    '"        "
    29-30 D4,D3     "           "         "    "          "
    31-32  D3,D2    "           "         "     "          "
    (ends                    D5     D1
                        D2

                    D4      D3    to begin again)

    Hope this helps !!

    Kirk Bachler ,Twin Cities Branch,Mn USA)
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
  • ...

    SnowshoeTS Sept. 28, 2001, 3:32 a.m. (Message 27573, in reply to message 27567)

    My sincere apologies to M.Carnforth for calling him/her " Carnesworth"  in
    attribution for Domino 5

    Kirk Bachler
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
  • ...

    John K. Andrews Sept. 28, 2001, 7:57 a.m. (Message 27574, in reply to message 27567)

    Domino 5 was devised by Derek Haynes and is published in The Fourth Carnforth
    Collection of Scottish Country Dances available from TAC Books.

    The following description is quoted from the pamphlet:

    Four dancers, numbered 1 to 4 clockwise, each stand at one corner of a square
    facing a fifth dancer in the middle who faces the top, looking out between
    numbers 1 and 4.
    1-4 Numbers 1, 2 and 5 dance RH across once round.
    5-8 Numbers 3, 4 and 5 dance LH across once around.
    9-16 Numbers 1, 3 and 5 dance a diagonal reel of three, #1 and #5 pass RS to
    start.
    17-24 Numbers 2, 4 and 5 dance a diagonal reel of three, #4 and #5 pass LS to
    start.
    25-26 Numbers 1 and 5 change places passing RS.
    27-28 Numbers 1 and 4 change places passing RS.29-30 Numbers 3 and 4 change
    places passing RS.
    31-32 Numbers 2 and 3 change places passing RS.

    Tune:  The Cambridge Hornpipe (Trad.) recorded by Alastair Hunter on the CD
    "The Etive Selection" DACD 0022.  Good alternatives are The Chester Hornpipe
    recorded by Iain MacPhail or David Cunningham's The Plantaion Reel on HRMCD
    503.

    Note: Bars 25-32: each track from one corner to the next should be a smooth
    curve.

    This dance is great fun and has become quite a favorite of our local basic
    dance classes.  I highly recommend it and other dances by Derek Haynes.

    Happy dancing,

    Jay Andrews
    Alexandria, VA
  • ...

    John K. Andrews Sept. 28, 2001, 8:05 a.m. (Message 27575, in reply to message 27574)

    I forgot to mention.  The instructions indicate that the dance should be
    repeated four times.  I believe that this is a typo and that the dance
    should be repeated five times, giving each dancer a opportunity to dance
    from each position.

    Jay Andrews
    Alexandria, VA
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Sept. 28, 2001, 9:39 a.m. (Message 27578, in reply to message 27567)

    Jay Andrews <xxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx> writes:

    > I forgot to mention.  The instructions indicate that the dance should be
    > repeated four times.  I believe that this is a typo and that the dance
    > should be repeated five times, giving each dancer a opportunity to dance
    > from each position.

    Well, you do it once and then repeat it four times for a total of five
    turns!

    Incidentally, Carnforth is not a person but the village in Lancashire
    where Derek lives.

    May I also remind everybody -- I'm beginning to sound like a grouch
    these days -- of the standing Strathspey policy not to post dance
    instructions without the deviser's explicit consent. (Usually if people
    are in a pinch private e-mail is a lot better.) Knowing Derek, I don't
    think he'll mind terribly, but I'd like to point out that all the
    proceeds from the sales of his books are donated towards cancer
    research. And at £1 per book they're terrific value. I should like to
    urge everybody to rush out and buy the lot (4 Carnforth Collections and
    one called `Simple Highland Dances for Scottish Country Dancers' --
    oops, that one's £1.50). SNDC and TACbooks carry them AFAIK.

    Anselm
    --
    Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners

    SnowshoeTS Sept. 28, 2001, 3:37 p.m. (Message 27581, in reply to message 27567)

    Apologies to Derek (and the village of Camforth ;-] ) I did not realize the
    policy and will adhere to it in future!!

    Kirk Bachler ,twin cities Branch,Mn,USA
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
  • ...

    John K. Andrews Sept. 28, 2001, 5:07 p.m. (Message 27582, in reply to message 27581)

    Ditto.