Incredible Dance escape this year ?(plus the tiniest "peep")

  • ...

    Rebecca Sager Sept. 27, 2001, 1:20 a.m. (Message 27540)

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:18:31 +0100 "Pia Walker" <xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
    writes:

    > or what about Ireland -

    I grew up in England where Irish jokes are as prevalent as Polish jokes
    in the Northern US, or as Alabama jokes in my adopted state of Georgia. I
    never had much desire to go there.
    But I had the opportunity to accompany my more affluent sister and her
    husband on a driving tour of the South of Ireland, from September 11th
    (which used to be famous for being my birthday) until the 18th.
    What a lovely country! What hospitable people at all the B. and B.s.
    Here comes the peep:
    On Friday, September 14th, Ireland was closed in a day of mourning, and I
    mean really closed. The gas stations were closed the shops were closed
    the restaurants were closed and, horrors, the pubs were closed.
    I was truly moved by this gesture and the concern expressed by everyone
    when they learned that I and my retired firefighter friend (who was also
    on the trip looking for his Irish roots) were Americans.
    I'll never tell another Irish joke, and woe betide anyone who speaks
    badly of these dear people in my presence.

    Becky

    Becky Sager
    Marietta GA USA
  • ...

    Pia Walker Sept. 27, 2001, 10:17 a.m. (Message 27548, in reply to message 27540)

    Hi Becky

    I lived in Ireland for 4 years.

    Pia
  • ...

    ron.mackey Sept. 28, 2001, 12:08 a.m. (Message 27569, in reply to message 27548)

    > Hi Becky
    >
    > I lived in Ireland for 4 years.
    >
    > Pia

    	AHH...... does this give us a clue???  :))  (^duck^)
    		The person of my acquaintance who tells the most and funniest Irish
    jokes is a fellow golfer called Jim Collins and he hails from Co.
    Tipp !!

    Cheers,  Ron   :)

     < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
      'O>  Mottingham,
      /#\  London. UK.
       l>
    xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Pia Walker Sept. 28, 2001, 10:57 a.m. (Message 27579, in reply to message 27569)

    Thank you Ron

    I loved it there - yes people could laugh at themselves - and it was
    incredible lovely to live there - People cared - I went back to Maynooth in
    Co Kildare, last year after 14 years away - went into the post-office, up to
    the counter, where this man was sitting (my age) - and he said "Thought it
    was you when you walked in" - Had I been away?  it did not seem like it.

    To keep to the scottish thread - we did a Burns night at my hubbys work -
    and could not get Haggis imported - we did get one in as a biological
    specimen (hubby being a biotechnologist) - but I had to make the rest -
    arrived at the university cantine with all the necessary bits of sheep -
    muslin bag instead of stomach - and asked "where's the mincer?"  Chef looks
    at me and says "we haven't got one - here's a knife" - chopped up the
    innards of what to me seemed like several dead sheep - with a knife - for 70
    people.  plus made the oat-cakes and danced the night away.

    It was great.

    Pia