mlamontbrown

RE: The Triumph

March 21, 2006, 9:59 a.m. (Message 44801, in reply to message 44798)

Fiona wrote:

> Some Cornish dancers told me that in their part of the country The Triumph
> is a wedding dance, and there are lots of variations or triumphs throughout
> the British Isles. The first couple represent the bride and groom, the
> second the brides parents, the third the grooms parents and the fourth the
> best man and maid.

There is a description of this dance in Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy
(Chapter Seven - The Tranter's Party) published in 1872   -
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2662/2662.txt for those people who don't have a copy
to hand. (Bill Ireland pointed this out to us at St Andrews about 10 years ago)

Malcolm L Brown
York