  • mlamontbrown

    mlamontbrown March 21, 2006, 9:59 a.m. (Message 44801)

    RE: The Triumph

    Fiona wrote:

    > Some Cornish dancers told me that in their part of the country The Triumph
    > is a wedding dance, and there are lots of variations or triumphs throughout
    > the British Isles. The first couple represent the bride and groom, the
    > second the brides parents, the third the grooms parents and the fourth the
    > best man and maid.

    There is a description of this dance in Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy
    (Chapter Seven - The Tranter's Party) published in 1872   -
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2662/2662.txt for those people who don't have a copy
    to hand. (Bill Ireland pointed this out to us at St Andrews about 10 years ago)

    Malcolm L Brown
    York