Divided by a common language

  • ...

    Ron Mackey July 27, 2006, 12:13 a.m. (Message 45590)

    > And now that we all know what "outwith" means, the RSCDS working group that
    > started this discussion ("Issues outwith Scotland") has been officially renamed
    > "Issues outside Scotland". So you see - we do listen :-)
    > Susi
    	Was that the stable door we heard slam shut? :))
  • ... June 20, 2006, 8:30 a.m. (Message 45591, in reply to message 45590)

    I hope that this does not start a trend. After all the subject is
    "Scottish" country dancing, so one should expect a certain amount of
    "foreign" vocabulary and usage.
    rondelle - (Spain) roundabout
    pousette - (Spain) valsé
    double triangles - (Spain) triangles (only logical since double means
    x2, so there should be at least 4)
    allemande - (Spain & U.S.) turn
    targe - (U.S.) non commissioned officer with three stripes as
    addressed by someone with a speech impediment.
    set - (U.S. & England) past tense of sit, collection of items in the
    same category.
    reel - (U.S. & England) perambulation of an alcoholic, divice for
    winding a fishing line
    jig - (U.S. & England) form or mold used by a carpenter
    strathspey - (rest of the world) schottische
    tournee - (Spain) wood screw
    cast - (U.S. & England), to toss beginning with a back swing, plaster
    form for broken limb, mold.
    petronella - (rest of the world), little girl named "rock"
    gates - streets
    bow - gateway
    yett - gate
    rant - tirade
    firth - fjord
    etc. (so where would this slippery slope end?)   :)
  • ...

    Pia Walker June 20, 2006, 10:45 a.m. (Message 45592, in reply to message 45590)

    Nah - it was Susi slamming her head against the wall.  (you could hear the
    Doh! afterwards :>) :>) - it could also be issues without scotland :>))
    Scotland without issues - take your pick.
  • ...

    Miriam L. Mueller June 20, 2006, 5:59 p.m. (Message 45596, in reply to message 45590)

    And these don't include the effects of local "accents". I remember a
    dance in New Zealand where the talk-through started with what sounded to
    American me like: "All sit." It was a moment before I realized that the
    initial step was pas-de-basque, and had a chuckle to myself at my
            Mimi/Miriam Mueller        San Francisco
    On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:30:50 +0200 (MEST) ""