Braes of Mellinish was "Google has failed me"

  • ...

    Herbold.Bruce May 26, 2006, 12:43 a.m. (Message 45380)

    well a little more web surfing has revealed that the person that Tom
    Mungall found with a last name of Mellinish is actually marked with a
    question in the record about whether the name might have actually been
    "Mellinick."  In any case the "Mellinish/Mellinick" is cited as an
    Englishman, which is a bit exasperating for a question of Scottish
    heritage.  He is also surely not the American plasterer that I found in
    the records of Ohio yesterday, unless he was a very old plasterer. Further
    web-surfing found that there was an Irish town called "Mount Mellinick." A
    "mount" might be a very grandiose 'brae' but it seems an odd thing for a
    Scottish tune and dance to commemerate an obscure Irish town.

    Now does the Kentigern/Braes of Mellinish jig tune bear any relationship
    to the Gow tune Major Graham that the RSCDS used for the dance?
    Musicians??  And why is there no record in Dance Data of the use of any
    tune under the names Kentigern Jig or The Braes of Mellinish?

    I guess I'd best get back to doing the work I'm paid for.

    Bruce Herbold

    San Francisco Branch
  • ...

    Steve Wyrick May 26, 2006, 1:23 a.m. (Message 45382, in reply to message 45380)

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 15:43:03 -0700
      xxxxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx.xxx wrote:

    > Now does the Kentigern/Braes of Mellinish jig tune bear any relationship
    > to the Gow tune Major Graham that the RSCDS used for the dance?
    > Musicians??  And why is there no record in Dance Data of the use of any
    > tune under the names Kentigern Jig or The Braes of Mellinish?

    1) Not that I can tell!  2) Because it hasn't been used as a name tune or
    secondary tune in any recording for SCD indexed in Dance Data?  It's a 4-part
    pipe jig which wouldn't be the best of candidates for our dances but I'm
    pretty sure I've played it in a set for something...  Worse than not finding
    it in Dance Data, there's no information on that tune in any of my faithful
    internet tune resources, which almost always turn up something... Does anyone
    have the Gore Index available to check for a source?

    I submit that the title "Kentigern Jig" (aka Kentigern's Jig) is a red herring
    here; it appears that the jig is called that because the band Kentigern
    recorded "The Braes of Mellinish" on their 1979 album and it somehow became
    associated with them (this happens a lot in the aural folk music tradition).

    I still wonder about the strathspey/jig connection.  Did the Society collect a
    dance that they decided would work better as a strathspey than a jig, then
    come up with a nice old strathspey tune to fit it?  Just conjecture. -Steve
    --
    Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
  • ...

    Alan Paterson May 26, 2006, 8:38 a.m. (Message 45384, in reply to message 45382)

    On 26/05/2006 01:23, Steve Wyrick wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 May 2006 15:43:03 -0700
    >  xxxxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx.xxx wrote:
    >
    > Does anyone have the Gore Index available to check
    > for a source?

    Yes. It's not listed.

    Alan