Attracting Young Folks/Music Tempo

0AM7L@SIA

May 10, 2006, 9:09 p.m. (Message 45221)

To me, one sign of a 'superior' dancer is someone who can adapt to the
tempo.  As someone who's watched more dancing (and demo's) than I care to
remember, there's nothing worse than one head bobbing out of sync with the
others.  This happens even in 8 hands around and back: 7 heads in sync, one
not.  It is a glaring, obvious error that the audience sees over all other
'mistakes.'

To be brutally honest, if a person can't pick up the beat from Scottish
Country Dance music--and slow down or speed up to match--they should sell
their ghillies.  (;)

Margaret Sarna
Michigan
Helen Brown

Helen Brown

May 10, 2006, 10:09 p.m. (Message 45223, in reply to message 45221)

Margaret Sarna said

<To be brutally honest, if a person can't pick up the beat from Scottish
>Country Dance music--and slow down or speed up to match--they should sell
>their ghillies.  (;)

Oh no!   These are the challenges that spice every teacher's life!   It
might take months or even years of patience but the reward is wonderful.

Helen

Helen C N Brown
York, UK
Martin

Martin

May 11, 2006, 9:25 a.m. (Message 45233, in reply to message 45223)

Helen Brown wrote:
> Margaret Sarna said
>  if a person can't pick up the beat ... they should sell
> their ghillies.  (;)
>

> Oh no!   These are the challenges that spice every teacher's life!   It
> might take months or even years of patience but the reward is wonderful.
If only everyone had your patience, Helen !

Martin
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

May 12, 2006, 1:04 a.m. (Message 45245, in reply to message 45233)

> > Oh no!   These are the challenges that spice every teacher's life!   It
> > might take months or even years of patience but the reward is wonderful.

> If only everyone had your patience, Helen !
>
> Martin

	It's not really a question of patience, is it?   It is allowing
people to learn at their own pace.
	There is someone in my class who has two left feet and I
thought would never, ever make a dancer but he did enjoy himself
and often has us laughing at and with him.     Last Friday (my last of
the season) for the first time he went through a whole dance x8 and I
didn't call to him once. He noticed it too and was as pleased as
punch.
He's been with me for five years!

	I think it is one of the causes of these 40 minute step
practise sessions that some teachers are impatient and want to see
perfect dancing as soon as possible so that when They are on the
dance floor as few as possible interrupt their elegant progress.
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

May 12, 2006, 9:46 a.m. (Message 45253, in reply to message 45245)

Could it also be perhaps, that we try and teach too much all at once -
rhythm, steps, formations, dances?   And that as we grow up to become
adults, it becomes 'embarassing' to repeat things?    Children seem to be so
much more patient with regards to going over old ground, but if you did the
same dance 5 weeks running in a class of adults, they would be grumbling,
yet repetition is the only way of gaining confidence in some cases, and
confidence is the one thing that is needed for people to progress in SCD and
probably in many other disciplines as well.

How many teachers out there, actually go up to someone and say 'Well done' -
'Well saved' - or 'I like your posture/the way you got there/the way you
hold your head/your smile/your help' etc etc.  In true teacher fashion, we
only criticize and pick up the faults.  Surely we should do both.

Pia
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

May 13, 2006, 12:12 a.m. (Message 45275, in reply to message 45253)

> How many teachers out there, actually go up to someone and say 'Well done' -
> 'Well saved' - or 'I like your posture/the way you got there/the way you
> hold your head/your smile/your help' etc etc.
 > Pia

	Oh yes!  All the time.  Even on here when I like what has
been said.
How can one not?
And to the musicians!!
And to the teachers!!
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

May 13, 2006, 5:37 p.m. (Message 45281, in reply to message 45275)

Well Ron - we all know that you are one in a million :>)

See you at St A - it doesn't seem a year since we had the 'when will you be
there' cry for summer school.

Pia
john.m.sturrock

john.m.sturrock

May 12, 2006, 2:26 p.m. (Message 45262, in reply to message 45245)

Ron Mackey wrote :

> It's not really a question of patience, is it?   It is allowing
> people to learn at their own pace.

This reminded me of a girl, aged about 8, who came to one of my classes many
years ago.

She was bright and intelligent  -  but her skip change was
right-close-right-close-right, left-close-left-close-left  -  and at the end
of the season, 33 classes later, it was still the same.

I thought that that would be that, but no, back she came, aged 9,
right-close-right-close-right, left-close-left-close-left.  She was one of
the most regular attenders I ever had.

And back she came aged 10, right-close-right-close-right,
left-close-left-close-left.  I used to lie away at nights wondering what to
try next  -  as the class had a live musician, there were many
possibilities.

Back she came aged 11  -  and, one night, launched into the most perfect
skip change you ever did see in an 11 year old, topped by the most wonderful
smile on her face.

I'd like to report that she is now a mainstay of some far-flung Branch  -
but if so, I do not know, because I never saw her again after that night.
Maybe this was something she had decided to master, and, when she did, she
moved on to mastering something else.  Whether she is in now SCD, or not,
I'm sure she is a success, because she had learned that, with perseverence,
one can achieve almost anything.

John M Sturrock
Cupar UK
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

May 13, 2006, 12:12 a.m. (Message 45274, in reply to message 45262)

.  Whether she is in now SCD, or not,
> I'm sure she is a success, because she had learned that, with perseverence,
> one can achieve almost anything.
>
> John M Sturrock
> Cupar UK

Lovely story, John.
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

May 10, 2006, 10:13 p.m. (Message 45224, in reply to message 45221)

I know lots of people who were disasters in the beginning.  Sometimes  they
remain that way for years but there is always improvement and they are
enthusiastic promoters of dance.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

May 10, 2006, 10:15 p.m. (Message 45225, in reply to message 45221)

Try and take a look at their faces in stead - I go for the smiles - it's not
the ones with their heads bobbing out of synch that worries me, but the ones
without the smiles.

And you can only pick up a beat by learning how to listen - how many classes
teach their dancers how to listen in stead of how to dance?

Pia
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

May 11, 2006, 12:13 a.m. (Message 45230, in reply to message 45225)

> Try and take a look at their faces in stead - I go for the smiles - it's not
> the ones with their heads bobbing out of synch that worries me, but the ones
> without the smiles.
>
> And you can only pick up a beat by learning how to listen - how many classes
> teach their dancers how to listen in stead of how to dance?
>
> Pia

	Oh, yes Pia.   If they don't leave the hall with a big grin on
their collective faces then you have failed!

	As for the music - but of course.   It's an art form based
firmly and irrevocably on the music.
Christina France

Christina France

May 11, 2006, 12:34 p.m. (Message 45237, in reply to message 45221)

Hi,
	I'm with Helen and Pia give me someone who enjoys their dancing
whether they can do the steps correctly or not to teach. As far as why young
people don't dance ? Maybe it is the straight faces young people do not
like.
	Christina
Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

May 12, 2006, 9:53 a.m. (Message 45254, in reply to message 45221)

If we were "brutally honest" we would lose more than one enthusiastic
member, and would be much the poorer for it. I have met some 'superior'
dancers in my time that were only technically perfect, and it would have
been a more enjoyable occasion for everyone if they were not in the set
clearly showing their impatience with the less able, even on occasion
actually ignoring them.
In my book a 'superior' dancer is one who having mastered the technique
will not make the less able feel unwanted, but will make them feel
positively welcome, and will make the less able feel that the 'superior'
dancer has enjoyed dancing with them as much as if they were dancing with
another 'superior' dancer.
There may be "nothing worse than one head bobbing out of sync" from a
critical spectator point of view, but remember that dancing is for the
dancers, it is not a spectator sport.
Even in the most sophisticated demonstration I would suggest that the most
important aspect is that the audience feels first and foremost that the
dancers are enjoying themselves and enjoying the music and the dance. There
is then a very good chance that they will be distracted from bobbing heads
and untidy feet by 'the spirit of the dance.'
Technique does make a difference, obviously, but it is not the only measure.
Enjoyment, sociability and respect for others are of the greatest
importance, IMHO.
Andrew,
Bristol, UK
Christina France

Christina France

May 12, 2006, 10:28 a.m. (Message 45255, in reply to message 45221)

Well said,
Christina
Phill Jones

Phill Jones

May 12, 2006, 10:52 a.m. (Message 45257, in reply to message 45221)

Couldn't agree more.  You missed one thing though... The 'superior'
dancers are also more than capable of detering experienced dancers
too!!!