Why SCD doesn't attract the young - was Re: Ask and Ye shall receive - Perhaps!

Andrew C Aitchison

Andrew C Aitchison

May 10, 2006, 6:16 p.m. (Message 45218)

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Martin Sheffield wrote:

> Or if you use a recording dating from the 40s & 50s, when dancers
> apparently had more energy than they do today.

I'm not familiar with recordings from that time, but I'm convinced that
this plays a part in why SCD has (some) problems attracting the young.
I know it made a difference to me. Aged 35, and after a spell away I went
to an intermediate class for a few weeks, then enquired about moving
up to the advanced class. I was told to stay in the current class until
I had stopped dancing ahead of the music. I know that I have to fit in
with the music and the other dancers, but I was dancing at the speed
that was right for me, and I haven't been back to SCD since.

This is assuming that those disks record what people actually danced to
them - I've heard that it was common to speed them up to fit onto a 78.

Andrew C Aitchison
Martin

Martin

May 10, 2006, 8:06 p.m. (Message 45219, in reply to message 45218)

Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2006, Martin Sheffield wrote:
> > ... a recording dating from the 40s & 50s, when dancers
> > apparently had more energy than they do today.
>

> I'm not familiar with recordings from that time, but I'm convinced that
> this plays a part in why SCD has (some) problems attracting the young.

Even if we manage to attract the young, I am quite certain we won't keep
them with 8x32-bar speys that last 8m, 30 secs,  even 9 m.
> ... I've heard that it was common to speed them up to fit onto a 78.

I danced with J Shand live once or twice and remember it being an
exhausting affair -- and I was still a teenager!
> Even when LPs came out, I remember that the usual length for 8x32 R was 4 m 20 secs.
Today, these dances are being recorded at nearer 4m 50.
Exceptions are R Whitehead, who clearly intends us to put energy into
our dancing, and I MacPhail who is capable of anything.

I wonder if the American bands are playing slower than the Brits -- and
influencing certain musicians that have spent too much time in the
States ...

Martin,
who often speeds up his CDs when making copies (for his own private use
of course)
in almost bandless France.
Victor Jason Raymond

Victor Jason Raymond

May 10, 2006, 8:59 p.m. (Message 45220, in reply to message 45219)

Dear All,

In working with an almost entirely-university age group, I've found
that sometimes my undergraduate friends want music faster, and other
times slower.  As far as attracting younger dancers are concerned,
speed of music doesn't seem to be the issue for us.  If anything, it
is in the *perception* of there being a big difference between "us"
and "them" (whoever you put into those categories).

What we've found is that once you get university age dancers to a
ball, they very frequently turn into SCD regulars *IF* they are
welcomed, encouraged, and made to feel like "one of us."  Conversely,
excessive correction seems to be the deathknell of interest among
beginning dancers (of any age, I suspect).  Once they understand the
basics, then they often want good, critical teaching and
instruction.  But they don't get there automatically.

Victor

At 01:06 PM 5/10/2006, you wrote:
>Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
>>On Wed, 10 May 2006, Martin Sheffield wrote:
>> > ... a recording dating from the 40s & 50s, when dancers >
>> apparently had more energy than they do today.
>>

>>I'm not familiar with recordings from that time, but I'm convinced
>>that this plays a part in why SCD has (some) problems attracting the young.
>>
>Even if we manage to attract the young, I am quite certain we won't
>keep them with 8x32-bar speys that last 8m, 30 secs,  even 9 m.
>>... I've heard that it was common to speed them up to fit onto a 78.
>>
>I danced with J Shand live once or twice and remember it being an
>exhausting affair -- and I was still a teenager!
>>Even when LPs came out, I remember that the usual length for 8x32 R
>>was 4 m 20 secs.
>Today, these dances are being recorded at nearer 4m 50.
>Exceptions are R Whitehead, who clearly intends us to put energy
>into our dancing, and I MacPhail who is capable of anything.
>
>I wonder if the American bands are playing slower than the Brits --
>and influencing certain musicians that have spent too much time in
>the States ...
>
>Martin,
>who often speeds up his CDs when making copies (for his own private
>use of course)
>in almost bandless France.

Victor J Raymond
vraymond "at"  iastate.edu
Jan E Rudge

Jan E Rudge

May 11, 2006, 5:45 p.m. (Message 45240, in reply to message 45218)

Andrew wrote....
< I was told to stay in the current class until I had
stopped dancing ahead of the music. I know that I have to fit in
with the music and the other dancers, but I was dancing at the speed
that was right for me.. >

Andrew, were you getting further and further ahead of the music?
If not, then you were dancing at the same speed as everyone
else, but a little bit ahead of the beat.  BTW I do hope the negative
comment doesn't put you off SCD for good, none of us is perfect
anyway!

Margaret wrote....
< [in dems] there's nothing worse than one head bobbing
out of sync with the others >

It's not necessarily as simple as that one person being out
of time with the music...  It's often (usually?) an indication that
their feet are doing something different to everyone else's  ;o)

Jan

Beaconsfield, UK
RSCDS London Branch
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

May 11, 2006, 8:48 p.m. (Message 45244, in reply to message 45218)

Or that the other 7 are wrong ! ;>)

Pia