The Mercat Cross

  • ...

    Chris1Ronald May 1, 2006, 2:10 a.m. (Message 45132)

    This dance - by John Bowie Dickson - is on an upcoming ball programme  (the
    Boston Ball) and I have to teach it tomorrow evening.  I've  done the dance
    several times, and don't expect any problem with the  teaching.  But I don't have
    the original instructions, and I'm wondering if  John Bowie Dickson named the
    dance after any particular mercat cross (yes, I  looked it up in google,
    wikipedia, etc.), or if he gave any other explanation  for the name of the dance.

    So I'd be glad to hear from you (on or off list) if you have access to  the
    original instructions.

    Many thanks,

    Chris, New York.
  • ...

    Alan Twhigg May 1, 2006, 2:25 a.m. (Message 45133, in reply to message 45132)

    Hi Chris,

    According to Dunedin Dances Book 3, the dance was devised for Harry and
    Heather Knox, but there is no indication beyond that as to the
    location. Perhaps someone on the list knows this couple and can supply
    additional information for you.

    cheers, Alan Twhigg.
  • ...

    Bryan McAlister May 2, 2006, 9:52 a.m. (Message 45143, in reply to message 45133)

    They are members of Linlithgow Club.  If anyone wishes to contact them
    please email me and I will pass it on.

    In message <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx>, Alan Twhigg
    <xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx> writes

    --