International Dance Council - Final instructions

Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

April 17, 2006, 5:57 a.m. (Message 45062)

Ok,

I have been in contact with the people from the CID. Basically, we
have everybody's wires crossed.

Basically, CID are not spammers, but are rather enthusiastic word
spreaders. It is possible to end up on their list because somebody
nominated you, or - my suspicion - because you looked to be on the
right list. They practice a very relaxed form of opt-in rather than
opt-out or even double opt-in process. (Term reference:
http://www.ibizbasics.com/online030601.htm)

I have requested to let me do a bulk unsubscribe on behalf of the
list, but they were not quite comfortable with that. So, it needs to
be done by the individuals.

not use CC/forward of the RSCDS email, that just causes confusion.
They say that they have an exclusion list, so the first completed
unsubscribe should be sufficient.

Something like the following might do:

----
Hi,
I believe I had been accidentally added to one of your mailing lists
for this email address (xxx@xxx.xxx). I would appreciate to be removed
from all the contact lists you have and to be put on the explicit
exclusion list.

Please confirm that my email has been removed.

Thank you,
ZZZZ
------

I have requested RSCDS to be put on their exclusion list (no response
to that one yet). I have also pointed at the resources for double
opt-in, as well as resources to more modern ways of news distribution
(RSS). Both of those items are supposedly were passed on to the
technical team. Hopefully, it will make a difference eventually.

Hopefully this will be the end of that. If there are still any
questions, issues, non-responses, I will be happy to moderate. I
understand some people are quite incensed, but let's not "call FBI
over it" (Last semi-joking reference is from :
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/24/tuttle_centos/)

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. For those who follow the internet meme, this has become a "Snakes
on the plane" situation.
Murray & Deanne Corps

Murray & Deanne Corps

April 17, 2006, 10:45 a.m. (Message 45063, in reply to message 45062)

On behalf of all, I thank you.  However, I have tried the nice approach and
get Bounce Backs.  This just makes me all the more suspicious of them.  And
of course, I still get the regular messages from them.

They will not, for some reason, remove the two addresses that I use and I
have set a rule to exclude their email.

I am not incensed, just disappointed.

Regards
Murray
David Yee

David Yee

April 17, 2006, 7:08 p.m. (Message 45065, in reply to message 45062)

So much venom directed at the IDC/CID!

My impression is that all the related e-mail I received came from the Strathspey server.

I doubt that Adamantia Angeli (what a great name!) would have my
address - unless I were to contact her asking to remove me from her
list!

And she has a point - what are the problems?  Does the International
Dance Council exist legally?  Are they having a 20th World Congress on
Dance Research?  Did previously advertised events take place?  Was
anyone ripped off?

I'd like to know.  The only familiar name is Dora Stratou, who seems
to have a Dance Theatre in Athens.

Regards,

David (Toronto)

---------------------------------
Make Yahoo! Canada your Homepage Yahoo! Canada Homepage
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

April 17, 2006, 7:22 p.m. (Message 45066, in reply to message 45065)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, David Yee wrote:
> So much venom directed at the IDC/CID!
>
> My impression is that all the related e-mail I received came from the
> Strathspey server.
>
> I doubt that Adamantia Angeli (what a great name!) would have my
> address - unless I were to contact her asking to remove me from her
> list!
>
> And she has a point - what are the problems?  Does the International
> Dance Council exist legally?  Are they having a 20th World Congress on
> Dance Research?  Did previously advertised events take place?  Was
> anyone ripped off?

I agree, the recent flurry of messages seem mostly prompted by the fact
that somehow or other, messages from this organization were getting
posted on the strathspey server.

However, there are a number of us who have been receiving messages from
this organization for months or years (not through Strathspey) and have
been unable to get our addresses removed from the mailing list.
Regardless of what the organization does or doesn't do, it is annoying to
receive unwanted e-mail messages.  That is the problem.

I have attempted to follow the removal instructions posted by Alexandre.
It will be impossible to know the results until a few weeks have passed
without receiving any spam from them.

/ Lara

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
********************************
Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

April 17, 2006, 7:23 p.m. (Message 45067, in reply to message 45065)

On 4/17/06, David Yee <xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xx> wrote:

> So much venom directed at the IDC/CID!
>
> My impression is that all the related e-mail I received came from the Strathspey server.

Right. So, the people who only got the emails via Strathspey server
don't need to do anything. I already requested for the mailing list
alias to be dropped from their list. Only those who get direct emails,
need to worry.

As to the venom, it was just a confusion, hopefully now resolved.

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. We lost two subscribers on the list over it. So, at least some
annoyance is justified. Just don't vent it by posting to the list
and/or cross-posting the list to 3rd parties. That may just restart
the cycle......
John Chambers

John Chambers

April 17, 2006, 10:49 p.m. (Message 45068, in reply to message 45062)

David (Toronto) commented:
| So much venom directed at the IDC/CID!
|
| My impression is that all the related e-mail I received  came  from
| the Strathspey server.
|
| I  doubt  that  Adamantia Angeli (what a great name!) would have my
| address - unless I were to contact her asking to remove me from her
| list!
|
| And she has a point - what are the problems? Does the International
| Dance Council exist legally?  Are they having a 20th World Congress
| on Dance Research? Did previously advertised events take place? Was
| anyone ripped off?

That may all be true, and the IDC may well be a perfectly  legitimate
(even  worthy) organization.  But none of that is relevant to why you
see people reacting with "Spam!" comments.

There are a million worthy organizations in the world.  If  each  one
were to send you just one worthy message each year, you'd get several
thousand worthy messages each day. Some of us are reaching that level
of  worthy  messages.  Most of us don't like it, no matter how worthy
each individual message may be.

What you're seeing is the widespread reaction to such messages by the
people who have been seriously impacted by such email messages.  Lots
of people have a strong reaction, even if the organization  has  sent
only   one  or  two  messages.   It's  because  of  all  those  other
organizations that have sent only one or two messages.

Fact is that the IDC's message to the list fits exactly  the  general
definition of "spam": an unsolicited mass mailing.  It doesn't matter
that the organization is legit.  It doesn't matter that the  contents
were  true.  It doesn't matter that the advertised events took place.
What matters is that it was an unsolicited mass mailing.  Such things
are bogging down a lot of people's mailboxes and making email soak up
far too much of our time.

We do see messages here from  SCD  groups  about  their  events,  and
nobody  objects.   Those  are  on-topic  here,  and were probably not
mass-mailed to a hundred other lists.  But the  IDC  messages  aren't
about  SCD.   They  are about general dance events, and were probably
sent to a lot more people than just this one  list.   It's  not  very
surprising  that people here would get upset and want to stop it from
happening again.

--
   _,
   O   John Chambers

Anselm Lingnau

April 17, 2006, 11:23 p.m. (Message 45070, in reply to message 45068)

John Chambers schrieb:

> We do see messages here from  SCD  groups  about  their  events,  and
> nobody  objects.   Those  are  on-topic  here,  and were probably not
> mass-mailed to a hundred other lists.  But the  IDC  messages  aren't
> about  SCD.   They  are about general dance events, and were probably
> sent to a lot more people than just this one  list.   It's  not  very
> surprising  that people here would get upset and want to stop it from
> happening again.

»Upset« is not a suitable description of the sentiment one experiences when
confronted with such a profound case of delusions of grandeur. »Amazed« is a
much better term. At least I do not cease to be amazed at (a) how these
people think that what they do is so important that, apparently, everyone on
this planet who has both an e-mail address and a pair of dance shoes of
whatever description needs to find out about it, and (b) how these people
think that, in spite of having advised them to the contrary multiple times,
one still must be kept up to date with the latest news about traditional
Balinese temple dance conventions held by the Cuban expatriate community in
Greenland. It makes one wish for compulsory licensing of Internet access,
just so one can get ruffians like these in trouble with the Information
Superhighway Patrol for the moral equivalent of tailgating.

FYI, here's a message I sent to the folks at IDC last June:

  From: Anselm Lingnau <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
  To: "International Dance Council - CID" <xxxxxxxxx@xxx-xxxxxx.xxx>
  Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:05:57 +0200

  Please remove ALL addresses ending in »strathspey.org« from your mailing
  list IMMEDIATELY. You are basically trying to send your messages not just
  to me, but to another mailing list comprising more than 400 people who are,
  on the whole, not in the least interested in your circulars -- and who will
  not receive them in any case since I'm junking them before they get
  transmitted.

  If I were you I should seriously reconsider how you build up your address
  lists. It is definitely not done to »google« for all web pages that have
  there. This is absolutely unacceptable and you can take it from me that in
  general it will NOT help you win friends and influence people. In fact, I
  think that an apology would be in order.

  Thank you for your consideration and immediate action. [etc.]

Judging from the response I received to this message (zilch, to be precise), I
hope Alexandre will forgive me for my lack of faith in his more recent, if
welcome, attempts to get this sorted. Believing as always in the essential
goodness of human nature, however, I have sent yet another message to IDC
asking again to both remove anything ending in »strathspey.org« and to add
the domain to their exclusion list. Let's see whether anything comes out of
this; I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, if I notice as much as a peep from those clowns on the actual
Strathspey list again, I'm going to block them for good. Once is more than
enough.

Anselm

P.S. Again, the clairvoyance of the automatic signature generator never
     ceases to surprise.
Equal opportunity means everyone will have a fair chance at being incompetent.
                                                          -- Laurence J. Peter
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

April 18, 2006, 11:14 a.m. (Message 45071, in reply to message 45070)

YOu mean that they are not as important as Scottish Country Dancing in
Timbuktoo? :>)

Pia