Official variations/DANCE: Skye Barbecue

Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

March 13, 2006, 2:42 p.m. (Message 44675)

Hi All,

How do you feel about a dance having an official variation included in
the instructions?

I have been revisiting Skye Barbecue, which I wrote a  while back (see
below).  Looking at bars 25-32, I think that the movement as written (an
exact repeat of bars 17-24 for them) is probably the most satisfying for
the 1st couple, and is definitely the most satisfying for the supporting
couples.  However, for a performance, I suspect that a left hand turn
and anti-clockwise chase for the 1s would look better - fitting in with
what the 2s and 3s are doing.

Now I don't have a group of people handy to try this out with, and I
suspect this is something that different groups might have different
opinions on (after my experiences with Gloomy Winter/Gloomy Winter's
Noo Awa').  So three questions:

 - which would you prefer to dance?
 - which would you prefer to watch?
 - how would you feel if the instructions had one option plus a note
   describing the other as an official variation (to be agreed with your
   partner)?

~~~~~
                                 Skye Barbecue
                                 =============

Dance for 3 couples in a 4 couple longwise set			8x32 bar
Reel
1-8	1C cross down (no hands) between second and third couples to start
reels of three on the opposite side of the dance.
9-16	1C cross down (no hands) between second and third couples to start
reels of three on their own sides. Finish with 2nd couple in 1st place and
1st couple flowing into...
17-24	First couple turn right hand, moving down to second place, dance out
through second place on own side and dance clockwise half-way round the set
while 2nd and 3rd couples set, cross over giving right hands and dance right
hands across once round.
25-32	First couple turn right hand, dance out through second place on
opposite side and dance clockwise half way round the set while 2nd and 3rd
couples set, cross over giving left hands and dance left hands across once
round.

Repeat, having passed a couple.

Note: The phrasing of bars 17-24 and 25-32 is deliberately left ambiguous
(particularly for 1st couple).

Iain MacPhail played the Alastair Fraser tune "Skye Barbecue" in one of the
sets he played for the RSCDS Edinburgh Branch show "Strictly Scottish" in
August 2001. I was one of the dancers in the show, and was so taken by the
tune that I felt it deserved its own dance. This is the result. It's a
lively dance, as befits the tune.

Tune: 	Skye Barbecue	(Alastair Fraser)
August 2001, revised March 2003.
~~~~~

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Applications Software Team Leader
e: xxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx / xxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
scd: xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
t: +44 131 272 7145
f: +44 131 272 7001
Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

March 15, 2006, 12:10 a.m. (Message 44711, in reply to message 44675)

Dear Ian,

  Firstly, let me say that I am surprised that your original dance has
  first couple turning with right hands and dancing a clockwise chase
  each time while second and third couples give right hands then left
  hands.

  If I had been devising this dance I would have chosen one of the
  following alternatives -

         First couple turn right and chase clockwise both times
         while
         second and third couples give right hands both times

  OR

         First couple turn right and chase clockwise then turn left and chase
         counter clockwise
         while
         second and third couples give right hands then left hands.

  In my opinion, you should abandon the current unbalanced version and
  adopt one of the two alternatives I have described above as the
  official version rather than providing an alternative official
  version.

  In the meantime, a few observations.

  I suspect that most dancers will prefer the original movements for
  second and third couples - ie. right then left - as they are
  different.

  A number of experienced dancers I know will dislike the original
  movement for first couple - ie. turn right and chase clockwise both
  times - because it is unbalanced compared with second and third
  couples movements and because it does not change direction.

  There are several local dancers who will prefer your original
  version for first couple as they have only one speed and not having
  to change direction between the two eight bar phrases will appeal to
  them.

  As you have you have not specified the phrasing for first couple, it
  should be comparatively easy for them to turn right (2 or 3) bars
  and chase clockwise (6 or 5 bars) THEN change direction and turn
  left and chase counter clockwise. I do not imagine it being a very
  abrupt change of direction.

  I might be able to try out the different versions for you later in the week.

  Regards,

  Iain Boyd

Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

March 15, 2006, 11:22 a.m. (Message 44721, in reply to message 44711)

Hi Iain,

>   Firstly, let me say that I am surprised that your original
> dance has first couple turning with right hands and dancing a
> clockwise chase each time while second and third couples give
> right hands then left hands.

I have to confess I dug out the instructions after 3 years, and was slightly
surprised myself.

Obviously there are three options, as you mention:
 1: right hands for everyone both times
 2: right hands then left hands for everyone
 3: right hands then left hands for 2s & 3s + right hands both times for 1s

Thinking through the dance, the first option is not really an option.  It
would be boring for 2s and 3s.  They really need the contrast between the
two phrases.

I can't remember why I originally wrote the "unbalanced" (as you put it)
version, but I like the spiralling feeling of the right-hand both times
option for the 1s and feel it fits the character of the tune.  I think it
was originally influenced by the cloverleaf figure which appears in
Australian Ladies, Moving Cloud and Nifty Shiftin' - in those you're turning
to the right each time.

However, there are 3 couples working together in the set, and when I re-read
the instructions at the weekend, I wondered how well option 3 actually
worked in practice, which set me wondering about option 2, which prompted my
email.

>From the people who have tried it, it has become clear that option 2 is
indeed the best option - one class thought option 3 was okay until they
tried option 2.  I have revised my local instructions accordingly, and won't
be including the note.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to consider this and particularly to
those who actually tried it out with their class.  It has been really useful
to get this feedback.

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

March 24, 2006, 4:49 a.m. (Message 44863, in reply to message 44721)

Dear Ian,

  I did try your dance last week - option 2, only.

  The group is mainly 'older' although most have quite a bit of experience.

  This is a dance for experienced dancers who are able to relate to
  the set spatially. Unfortunately, I doubt that it will find its way
  onto many social dance programmes.

  Bars 17-32 went well although not all second and third couples were
  able to finish the hands across in first and third places.
  Consequently, first couple ocasionally had problems knowing where
  second place was.

  The end of the second reel of three caused a few problems with
  second couple having to finish in top place. This made it a little
  awkward for first couple who had to finish in from the side-lines
  and then start turning down between second couple.

  However, the major problem was the join between the first and second
  times through and the second and third times through.

  The difficulty was caused by the left hands across being followed
  immediately by symmetrical reels of three on the sides.
  Unfortunately, the changes of direction are different in both cases.
  This is what makes it an advanced dancers dance. Of course, it did
  not help that second and third couples did not always finish in
  first and third places (as noted above).

  Regards,

  Iain Boyd

  Hi Iain,