getting a partner

  • ...

    Martin March 13, 2006, 11:30 a.m. (Message 44663)

    Before going off on holiday, I wrote that, for the first time, I would find
    out what it would be like to go unattached to an SCD event.

    I found a few people I knew and liked, and chatted/danced with some people
    I'd never met before ... and had a wonderful time.
    Only once or twice did I not find a partner (though several times, when I
    approached someone still sitting down, she had already been invited).  There
    were no dance cards tofill in/out  (;-) , but there was some tendency for
    couples to stick together.
    Some people, having come alone, were often sitting out. It appeared that,
    when not invited, these people (ladies) dared not invite anyone thelmselves.
    Recaps were brief and clear, quite sufficient for me to do dances I had not
    done before (and there were several of these each evening).  I had done my
    homework and looked at the cribs sent out in advance, but with no attempt to
    memorize them.

    Conclusions:
    If you have confidence in your own ability to get through any dance, you can
    go alone.
    A slightly pushy lone lady I noticed rarely missed a dance. Another, more
    pleasant, but somewhat reserved, sat out a lot. Whenever I danced with her
    she obviously knew what she was doing, but had not the confidence to invite
    a stranger (just in case she went wrong?), since a large part of the program
    was unfamiliar.
    So, if you go alone, do your homework, feel confident, and remember there
    are probably lots of partners out there hoping you will invite them.

    Martin,
    in Grenoble, France.
  • ...

    Jan E Rudge March 13, 2006, 2:49 p.m. (Message 44676, in reply to message 44663)

    Martin wrote:
    > Before going off on holiday, I wrote that, for the first time,
    > I would find out what it would be like to go unattached to an SCD event.
    > I found a few people I knew and liked, and chatted/danced with
    > some people I'd never met before ... and had a wonderful time.

    My interest is piqued...  Where were you dancing, Martin?
    And how did the dancing at Gatwick Airport go?

    Regards,

    Jan

    Beaconsfield, UK
  • ...

    Martin March 13, 2006, 3:25 p.m. (Message 44679, in reply to message 44663)

  • ...

    Stewart Cunningham March 13, 2006, 5:59 p.m. (Message 44682, in reply to message 44679)

    Where can I find information on these holidays? Southeastern France
    sounds good and what other venues are available? Ken MacFarland is the
    only person I know who arranges SCD holidays.
    Stewart Cunningham
    Vancouver
  • ...

    WL Whyte March 13, 2006, 6:48 p.m. (Message 44684, in reply to message 44682)

    Stewart,

    Provided you have carefully preserved it, you will see in the first issue of
    the SCDer (the RSCDS new magazine) publicity for the very holiday (and
    others) that Martin Sheffield has just experienced. I suspect that he went
    on this trip purely for market research purposes (tax deductible?) in order
    to ensure his own splendid event later in the year in Southern France is
    even better :-)

    Martin, I think you should advertise in the SCDer too!

    William Whyte
    Languedoc, France
  • ...

    Martin March 13, 2006, 7 p.m. (Message 44685, in reply to message 44684)