getting a partner

Martin

March 13, 2006, 11:30 a.m. (Message 44663)

Before going off on holiday, I wrote that, for the first time, I would find
out what it would be like to go unattached to an SCD event.

I found a few people I knew and liked, and chatted/danced with some people
I'd never met before ... and had a wonderful time.
Only once or twice did I not find a partner (though several times, when I
approached someone still sitting down, she had already been invited).  There
were no dance cards tofill in/out  (;-) , but there was some tendency for
couples to stick together.
Some people, having come alone, were often sitting out. It appeared that,
when not invited, these people (ladies) dared not invite anyone thelmselves.
Recaps were brief and clear, quite sufficient for me to do dances I had not
done before (and there were several of these each evening).  I had done my
homework and looked at the cribs sent out in advance, but with no attempt to
memorize them.

Conclusions:
If you have confidence in your own ability to get through any dance, you can
go alone.
A slightly pushy lone lady I noticed rarely missed a dance. Another, more
pleasant, but somewhat reserved, sat out a lot. Whenever I danced with her
she obviously knew what she was doing, but had not the confidence to invite
a stranger (just in case she went wrong?), since a large part of the program
was unfamiliar.
So, if you go alone, do your homework, feel confident, and remember there
are probably lots of partners out there hoping you will invite them.

Martin,
in Grenoble, France.
Jan E Rudge

Jan E Rudge

March 13, 2006, 2:49 p.m. (Message 44676, in reply to message 44663)

Martin wrote:
> Before going off on holiday, I wrote that, for the first time,
> I would find out what it would be like to go unattached to an SCD event.
> I found a few people I knew and liked, and chatted/danced with
> some people I'd never met before ... and had a wonderful time.

My interest is piqued...  Where were you dancing, Martin?
And how did the dancing at Gatwick Airport go?

Regards,

Jan

Beaconsfield, UK
Martin

Martin

March 13, 2006, 3:25 p.m. (Message 44679, in reply to message 44663)

Stewart Cunningham

Stewart Cunningham

March 13, 2006, 5:59 p.m. (Message 44682, in reply to message 44679)

Where can I find information on these holidays? Southeastern France
sounds good and what other venues are available? Ken MacFarland is the
only person I know who arranges SCD holidays.
Stewart Cunningham
Vancouver
WL Whyte

WL Whyte

March 13, 2006, 6:48 p.m. (Message 44684, in reply to message 44682)

Stewart,

Provided you have carefully preserved it, you will see in the first issue of
the SCDer (the RSCDS new magazine) publicity for the very holiday (and
others) that Martin Sheffield has just experienced. I suspect that he went
on this trip purely for market research purposes (tax deductible?) in order
to ensure his own splendid event later in the year in Southern France is
even better :-)

Martin, I think you should advertise in the SCDer too!

William Whyte
Languedoc, France
Martin

Martin

March 13, 2006, 7 p.m. (Message 44685, in reply to message 44684)