singular vs. plural verb

  • ...

    Volleyballjerry March 12, 2006, 8:01 p.m. (Message 44653)

    In a message dated 03/11/2006 7:44:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
    xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx writes:

    > The RSCDS .. "IS"  It is a single organization
    > RSCDS dancers, members etc .. "ARE"  As a collective group.
    >
    > USA as the name of a country .. "IS"  It is a single country.
    > USA as a collective group of States .. "ARE"

    I don't think anyone questions that when a singular collective noun becomes
    an adjective and is followed by a true plural, then the verb is plural:

    "RSCDS dancers are friendly folks."

    A structural plural which denotes an organization is followed by a singular,
    we seem to agree:

    "The United States is a member of the U.N." / "The states of the U.S. are not
    equal in size."
    "The United Arab Emirates is (sing.) located on the Arabian Peninsula." /
    "The members of the U.A.E. include (pl.) Dubai."

    The point of difference, which form of the verb to use with a structurally
    plural subject which denotes a collective, as has been otherwise confirmed,
    seems to be an A.E./ B.E. difference.

    Under virtually any circumstance, "The group are/were..., the team
    are/were..., the RSCDS are/were..." is jarring to American ears, but seems to be
    colloquially acceptable (and otherwise correct?) to British ears.

    Robb Quint
    Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
  • ...

    E23787423 March 12, 2006, 10:06 p.m. (Message 44655, in reply to message 44653)

    man, man yir hain an afu job wi yir verbs an fancy language. Kin ye
    jist mind weer ordinary Scots fowk fae dinae ken half the time fit yir
    spikn aboot.

    The comment wis made about the lack o' support fir a festival fit his
    been gaein fir a lang time and thir wis sign o' the RSCDS supportin or
    promotin scottish country dancin. Nathin tae dae wi verbs and things
    jist far wis a the fowks.

    RAE
  • ...

    Pia Walker March 12, 2006, 10:16 p.m. (Message 44657, in reply to message 44655)

    Are we dancing into third position singular or third position plural :>)

    The fact IS that RSCDS dancers weren't there.  The question WAS why.  The
    answers WERE not forthcoming, however, it could be that it takes too much
    time and effort to 'groom' teams for this kind of 'pleasure'.

    Pia
  • ...

    Volleyballjerry March 12, 2006, 10:11 p.m. (Message 44656, in reply to message 44653)

    In a message dated 03/12/2006 1:07:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
    xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

    > man, man yir hain an afu job wi yir verbs an fancy language. Kin ye jist
    > mind weer ordinary Scots fowk fae dinae ken half the time fit yir spikn aboot.
    >
    > The comment wis made about the lack o' support fir a festival fit his been
    > gaein fir a lang time and thir wis sign o' the RSCDS supportin or promotin
    > scottish country dancin. Nathin tae dae wi verbs and things jist far wis a the
    > fowks.
    >
    > RAE

    (:->)

    Robb