OT - singular or plural

ninian-uk

March 11, 2006, 11:47 p.m. (Message 44638)

But - possibly - the United States 'ARE' (since there is more than one
state/country in the Union) - though I admit that I usually say "the US
'IS'..."

Florida is just as much a state as France, and Louisiana is just as much a
state as Lichtenstein..... (and we'll all be in the United States of Europe
soon  :~)

David
Berkeley, Gloucestershire  UK
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

March 12, 2006, 1 a.m. (Message 44639, in reply to message 44638)

Sorry to disagree on two points. Organizations are singular, as in the
RSCDS is, though its branches and dancers are.

Second point, possibly political, for which I appologize. It is
correct to say that the United States are because, when referring to
the states, but it is also OK to say that the United States is when
referring to it as a whole.

Part of this problem is political propaganda, in that by the common
political science definition of a state, the U.S. is one, and its
states, as those of Brazil, and Mexico, are really provinces no matter
what they call themselves. This is because they all fail step three of
a three step test.
1. Territory-yes, 2. population-yes. 3. sovereignty-no. Therefore the
U.S. having all three is a state, and its states are not
In the UK, the UK is a state, which now has both provinces and nations
within it. For a short time the UK was one state with nations that
happened to be two kingdoms.  Not sure what the present status is but
in the 70´s, Northern Ireland is not a nation, but is a province of the
United Kingdom, but Wales has never been a state, but was a nation that
became a province of England.

Nations neither require territory nor sovereignty, just people. So
there was a Jewish state, and a Jewish province, in the historical
past, and there is one now, but between a.d. 67 and 1947, there was
only a Jewish nation. Yugoslavia was a state that included several
nations, now these nations sort of correspond to the borders of several
states. The Soviet Union, like the U.S. pretended it was a union of
states, but it was actually one state, containing many nations, some of
which have become states in recent history.

This confusion has created problems in U.S. History, and it took a
civil war to decide it. It is still a problem when one party says they
belive in states rights, unless of course gays want to marry or
citizens want to smoke a joint. Sorry Republicans, I know you like to
say things at your conventions such as "the soveriegn state of x casts
its votes for y" but the very fact that you have to put both sovereign
and state in the same sentence indicates that you are confused.
Carl Spain

Carl Spain

March 12, 2006, 5:52 a.m. (Message 44641, in reply to message 44639)

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 01:00 +0100, xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:

> Part of this problem is political propaganda, in that by the common
> political science definition of a state, the U.S. is one, and its
> states, as those of Brazil, and Mexico, are really provinces no matter
> what they call themselves. This is because they all fail step three of
> a three step test.

This could be further complicated by the four states (Massachusetts,
Virginia, Pennsylvania and Kentucky) that are officially designated
commonwealths rather than states.  There are historical reasons for the
designation, but the only real difference today is that it creates
opportunities to be pedantic (a favorite pastime of many of us on this
list) by saying (e.g.) "Oh, Virginia isn't a state.  It's a
commonwealth."

Carl Spain
Waco Texas (The state in this union whose residents are most likely to
take issue with Richard's statement that it is not sovereign; I've
generally found it best just to smile and nod.) USA