Where are the RSCDS??? (P.S.)

  • ...

    Volleyballjerry March 11, 2006, 6:35 p.m. (Message 44633)

    In a message dated 03/11/2006 9:15:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

    > This is (and again I emphasize only the difference in usage,
    > not the correctness of one vs. the other) very jarring to American ears.  We
    >
    > would say (and write):  "Where IS the RSCDS, where WAS the RSCDS?"  Is this
    > colloquial usage in British English (singular collective noun + plural verb)
    >
    > quite common or merely optional?  Would it also be considered correct in a
    > more
    > formal setting?

    What I neglected to add is that in American English (as perhaps elsewhere as
    well) we even tend to do the converse:  to use a singular verb even with a
    grammatical plural if the plural indicates a collective:

    The United States IS (not are)...
    [our local theatrical group] The Conejo Players PRESENTS (not present)...

    Robb