Computer programme "Dancemaster" - forwarded query

  • ...

    EvaDreyer March 8, 2006, 9:51 a.m. (Message 44551)

    In einer eMail vom 07.03.2006 19:13:08 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
    xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx:

    Hallo Eva!
    du hast mir für ein Paar Monate die e-mail Adresse von (...)  gegeben.  Ich
    habe ihm geschrieben aber bis jetzt keine Antwort bekommen.  Weisst du zufällig
    wo ich diese "Dancemaster" Software finden kann?
    Vielen Dank und herzliche Grüsse,
    María Grimoldi
    (Buenos Aires, Argentinien)

    Can anybody help please? The item in question seems to be a  computer
    programme called "Dancemaster" . Any ideas about who is the  author/deviser of it and
    how Maria can get in touch with her/him?

    Eva Dreyer in Essen, Germany
  • ...

    Russell Ham March 8, 2006, 10:09 a.m. (Message 44553, in reply to message 44551)

    See http://clarkandsandy.com/DanceMaster/

    Russell Ham
    Los Angeles
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau March 8, 2006, 10:16 a.m. (Message 44556, in reply to message 44553)

    Russell Ham wrote:

    > See http://clarkandsandy.com/DanceMaster/

    This refers to a program for round dance cuers and, as such, is probably not
    the one the original inquiry was about.

    I would venture to guess that the actual »DanceMaster« in question is a
    program by Dirk Taeger which was supposed to help create Pilling-style
    diagrams. It hasn't been heard of in a *long* time and may have fallen prey
    to bit rot. I think that Dirk at least used to be based in Essen so maybe Eva
    is not so badly placed to try and find out what happened to him/his program.

    Anselm
    That's what's cool about working with computers. They don't argue, they
    remember everything and they don't drink all your beer.          -- Paul Leary
  • ...

    Alexandre Rafalovitch March 8, 2006, 5:29 p.m. (Message 44574, in reply to message 44556)

    I second that it was most probably Dirk Taeger's program.

    Last time I checked (2 years ago), the bit rot was complete.

    If anybody does manage to locate that person, it would be nice to
    reestablish the contact (even if just to ask about the advice for
    future implementors in the same area).

    Regards,
       Alex.
    P.s. Is it even legal to generate Pilling's diagrams? I thought he
    copyrighted the whole thing.
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau March 8, 2006, 8:04 p.m. (Message 44586, in reply to message 44574)

    Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:

    > P.s. Is it even legal to generate Pilling's diagrams? I thought he
    > copyrighted the whole thing.

    In their dreams!

    You can't copyright a notation any more than you can copyright a language or
    mathematical formula, as these come under the heading of »ideas«, which are
    not copyrightable. What you can (probably) copyright is individual diagrams
    of particular dances, which are considered »expression«.

    I remember hearing that F. L. Pilling's successors (the body now in charge of
    the WGB) complained to Dunedin Dancers of Edinburgh about their including
    Pilling-style diagrams in their dance books »without permission«. They only
    shut up after being pointedly asked whether *they* had bothered to ask
    permission from the authors of all the dances in the Pilling book.

    In any case, Pilling-style diagrams are the norm for pre-published ball
    programmes here in Germany (for better or worse). Don't ask where all the
    diagrams come from; there are newly-drawn ones but people also pinch ones
    from the book. However, I'm about to order at least five new copies of the
    book on behalf of members of my dance group, expressly because they want to
    get more familiar with the notation so as to understand these programmes
    better. Thus, going after people pinching a few diagrams from the Pilling
    book would probably be the single worst thing the Pilling people could do as
    far as sales of their book in Germany are concerned.

    (Incidentally, text-based minicribs are making some inroads here because they
    are so much easier to generate than Pilling-style programmes. I hate
    them :^))

    Anselm
    Most physicists could, if necessary, make it through a PhD program in French
    literature, but few professors of French literature could make it through a
    PhD program in physics.                   -- Paul Graham, »What You Can't Say«
  • ...

    Alan Paterson March 8, 2006, 10:08 a.m. (Message 44554, in reply to message 44551)

    On 08/03/2006 09:51, xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:
    > In einer eMail vom 07.03.2006 19:13:08 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
    > xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx:
    >
    > Hallo Eva!
    > du hast mir für ein Paar Monate die e-mail Adresse von (...)  gegeben.  Ich
    > habe ihm geschrieben aber bis jetzt keine Antwort bekommen.  Weisst du zufällig
    > wo ich diese "Dancemaster" Software finden kann?
    > Vielen Dank und herzliche Grüsse,
    > María Grimoldi
    > (Buenos Aires, Argentinien)
    >

    > Can anybody help please? The item in question seems to be a  computer
    > programme called "Dancemaster" . Any ideas about who is the  author/deviser of it and
    > how Maria can get in touch with her/him?
    >
    > Eva Dreyer in Essen, Germany

    Dirk Taeger <xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxx.xx>

    Although I am unsure if this e-mail address is current.

    Alan