SD before the 19th century/SD cafe fear NC-Great Awakening?

  • ...

    MacdonaldBall March 7, 2006, 1:53 a.m. (Message 44520)

    yes, interesting article.

    I have ALWAYS been surprised that there is virtually NO form of  Scottish
    Social Dancing... ceilidh or otherwise among the Scots who settled in  the Cape
    Fear River area of the Carolinas...  So many Scots Settled there  in the mid to
    late 1700's (not the least of which was Flora Macdonald  and husband Alan).
    Of course this was WAY before RSCD as we know it today  but you would have
    thought there would have been Scottish ceilidh dances handed  down among
    families...or some type of Scottish Social dance....  I've often  wondered if it was
    influenced by the "great awakening" movement in the US.....  and perhaps
    thought of as simply vulgar..and thus discouraged....  It  strikes me that these
    Scots would have danced before coming to America. But  maybe not.  Girls often
    did highland dancing in competitions  and for May Day celebrations.... but again
    no social dancing.

    Gaitley
    New York City
    Originally from
    North Carolina
  • ...

    GOSS9@telefonica.net March 7, 2006, 7:32 a.m. (Message 44522, in reply to message 44520)

    It is always amazing how a linguistic error even though admitted,
    affects our language. This comes from the shift between the RSCDS
    language from the original 1920´s "Country dancing as danced in
    Scotland" and the 1940´s "Scottish Country Dancing".

    To repeat, again, there was no such thing as a unique dance form
    called "SCD" until the Society was over 10 years old. It is bad history
    to apply a modern invention backwards into history, and then be
    surprised it did not exist.

    With the exception of Highland dancing mentioned below. All of what we
    call SCD and Ceilidh dancing were simply European forms of dancing
    prior to the 20c, and their certainly was no dancing border between
    England and Scotland. So Scots who originally settled the Americas, and
    later immigrants brought with them the European dancing they knew at
    home. Given, there were stylistic differences, but these were such that
    they simply merged with those of  the other European communities in the
    New World.

    When it came to the later origins of what we call ceilidh dancing,
    these are primarily schottisches that spread out from Germany. A
    popular folk dance here on Mallorca, is called the "polka" (not it is
    obviously a schottische done to music that seems Irish and of piping
    origin), virtually everyone knows it as a common round the "room"
    (don´t know what word to use since the dancing here is mostly outside,
    so perhaps a "cercaplaça")  finishing dance. We know it as "Gay
    Gordons".

    The evidence of this is found in its opposites. No identifiable
    Scottish dancing, but Gaelic survived in the Americas, as did hundreds
    of identifiably Scottish tunes, which have become so American to
    Americans that most of them would not even consider them Scottish. The
    fact is that they did bring their dances, which simply merged and
    whatever differences that might have been considered Scottish simply
    disappeared.

    Highland dancing was not even standardized until the late 40´s and
    early 50´s (the SOBHD is about 25 years younger then the RSCDS. I
    suspect that many aspects of step dancing that are of Scottish origin
    did come to America, but then got merged into various "pan British"
    dance forms namely the jig and the hormpipe, which passed on to the
    American tap dancing tradition. In this case there was a reverse
    connection in that there are historicly identified American tunes that
    went back to the U.K. where they are known as of American origin.

    This historical, or linguistic, error is common in Scotland and with
    SC dancers because of the Society, and is not heard in EFDSS circles,
    in that they acknowledge no border of their dancing when it comes to
    Scotland.
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau March 7, 2006, 9:10 a.m. (Message 44523, in reply to message 44522)

    Richard Goss wrote:

    > With the exception of Highland dancing mentioned below. All of what we
    > call SCD and Ceilidh dancing were simply European forms of dancing
    > prior to the 20c, and their certainly was no dancing border between
    > England and Scotland. So Scots who originally settled the Americas, and
    > later immigrants brought with them the European dancing they knew at
    > home. Given, there were stylistic differences, but these were such that
    > they simply merged with those of  the other European communities in the
    > New World.

    This is all true, but what of those Scots who emigrated before country dancing
    reached them during the 19th century? The article talks about country dancing
    being taken up in Scotland during the 18th century, but that applies mostly
    to the big cities in the South and the surrounding countryside. Country
    dancing took much longer in reaching the Highlands, and many of those who
    emigrated subscribed to older forms of dancing which were not well-known (let
    alone recently imported from) somewhere else. In consequence, in Cape Breton,
    which was settled by highland Scots in the 18th century, we find very little
    country dancing but much material which has evolved from older, »more«
    Scottish dance forms (and influenced by other types of dance which other
    immigrants brought to the area).

    The article cited by Eric, in particular, refers to one Topham, who I presume
    is the Major Topham who visited Edinburgh in the 18c and was impressed with
    the vigour the Scots exhibited when dancing Scottish reels (not country
    dances). Reels and country dances co-existed for a long time and dancing
    masters were expected to teach both.

    I have two points to make about the article cited by Eric: First, »De'il stick
    the minister« is alive and well if not as popular in this gentile age as it
    once may have been. Second, I don't buy the paragraph entitled »Penny
    Wedding«. For one, it does not talk about penny weddings at all. Secondly,
    the »perform'd in Scotland« does not mean anything; it is probably just
    marketing talk. For example, publishers of dance books as well as dance
    teachers not just in Scotland but all over Britain would be quick to
    advertise that their material was based on personal experience with the
    newest styles current in fashionable places like Paris, when they had in fact
    never even been close enough to Dover to smell the sea air. In the old days,
    to most people in the civilised South, Scotland was an exotic place (a modern
    equivalent would be the Amazonas basin) and dances purportedly from there
    would carry a certain appeal even if they were otherwise no different from
    what people would come up with elsewhere. It was also usual to call a dance
    Scottish if the music was Scottish, the music could possibly be construed to
    perhaps have originated in Scotland, or the music had a vaguely
    Scottish-sounding title. A dance itself did not have to have anything to do
    with Scotland at all, and in fact, discernable »Scottish« notions did not
    creep into country dancing, »as done in Scotland«, until much closer towards
    the end of the 18th century. And as Goss points out, it took until the 20th
    century for the dance form to be called *Scottish* country dancing.

    Anselm
    You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on the
    continuing viability of FORTRAN.                             -- Alan J. Perlis
  • ...

    GOSS9@telefonica.net March 7, 2006, 2:08 p.m. (Message 44525, in reply to message 44520)

    Adding to my previous post, a lot of what we call "ladies´ Highland"
    came from Belgium where it was learned by a Catholic Scot, who was a
    university drop out and retuned to the highlands to teach. So who is to
    say what part of what we call Highland is Scottish and not urban
    European through his teaching.

    This came to mind because last week we had a "national" (Baleares)
    holiday, that included three days of choirs, dem teams, poetry, etc.
    from other parts of Spain. Each region of Spain has the equivalent of
    "Casa de [name of region]", and these all have teams of sorts. My
    comments here cover some material in several previous strathspey
    threads.

    Someone posted that folk costumes are very uniform, I felt that this
    was not true at the time because of a recent experience with a visting
    Serbian team, yes, similar pattern, but no more uniform then the cross
    section of all the kids at a modern high school. Here is the pattern I
    discovered. Yes, all the dance teams had uniform costumes, or nearly
    so, however if one tossed their fans and bands into the mix, the
    uniformness disappears, though the relative age of the costume stayed
    the same. Remember that these teams are made up of expats, who,
    themselves are foregners here. This would be the same as say an
    Edinburgh dance team designing a dem costume, based on some notion of
    traditional dress. The one group that was definitely not in uniform was
    the only one that actually came from outside the island. Everything in
    each of their costumes, including shoes were different, within a range
    of similarity. The interesting thing is that in choosing their style of
    dance and costume, even though the traditional costume of Menorca has
    exact parallels in Mallorca,  they chose costumes based on the urban
    upper class, instead of rural peasants. If you saw this costume
    anywhere else in Europe, it would be no different from that found from
    Spain across to Eastern Europe, Croatia, and up to Scotland. E.g.:
    Men´s black heeled shoes with silver buckles, white socks, black
    "kneebundhosen", white shirts, and waistcoats. Women´s black heeled
    dancing shoes (character shoes in the catalogues I have seen), bloomers
    with white socks, textured skirt (sometimes brocade), white blouse,
    with an "Aboyne" type "drindle". Their dancing is also dead among the
    "folk" in that they are choosing for a style, similar to the RSCDS, a
    balletic high cultural style more typical of the aristocrats than the
    people (note, that their ancestors were under British rule during the
    hay day of country dancing in Scotland). Of the three basic types of
    music, their featured one is the "fandango", as opposed to the bolero
    and jota, all of which they perform in the fandango style, and often in
    longways formation, even with progression and minor sets. Here on
    Mallorca (as hosts not represented on thios occasion (see below), we
    also dance the same three forms, but not in the cultured aristocratic
    style, though it comes through in our fandango which is derivitive of a
    court dance. Another differences, is the fact that the Menorquí dancers
    uses steps similar to both Irish and Scottish step dancing, and even
    with turnout and on their toes.

    Whereas the "strangers" got Friday night to Sunday night for their
    performances, only the Basques actually danced socially off the stage,
    including lving steps that one might call "pasos de vascos", that we
    would recognize (no costumes, just folks dancing. The Mallorquí dance
    offering was an entire evening (other regions got 30 minutes each), in
    the street with a band, spectators at any given moment outnumbering
    dancers. The dance, as per usual, lasted 2 hours, with nonstop music
    (musicians rotated in and out when they needed  a drink, or wanted to
    dance). But then, unlike SCD, and other modern forms of folk dancing,
    this is a currently living tradition of the folk, not members of some
    club isolated from the general culture.