SD before the 19th century/SD cafe fear NC-Great Awakening?

MacdonaldBall

MacdonaldBall

March 7, 2006, 1:53 a.m. (Message 44520)

yes, interesting article.

I have ALWAYS been surprised that there is virtually NO form of  Scottish
Social Dancing... ceilidh or otherwise among the Scots who settled in  the Cape
Fear River area of the Carolinas...  So many Scots Settled there  in the mid to
late 1700's (not the least of which was Flora Macdonald  and husband Alan).
Of course this was WAY before RSCD as we know it today  but you would have
thought there would have been Scottish ceilidh dances handed  down among
families...or some type of Scottish Social dance....  I've often  wondered if it was
influenced by the "great awakening" movement in the US.....  and perhaps
thought of as simply vulgar..and thus discouraged....  It  strikes me that these
Scots would have danced before coming to America. But  maybe not.  Girls often
did highland dancing in competitions  and for May Day celebrations.... but again
no social dancing.

Gaitley
New York City
Originally from
North Carolina
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

March 7, 2006, 7:32 a.m. (Message 44522, in reply to message 44520)

It is always amazing how a linguistic error even though admitted,
affects our language. This comes from the shift between the RSCDS
language from the original 1920´s "Country dancing as danced in
Scotland" and the 1940´s "Scottish Country Dancing".

To repeat, again, there was no such thing as a unique dance form
called "SCD" until the Society was over 10 years old. It is bad history
to apply a modern invention backwards into history, and then be
surprised it did not exist.

With the exception of Highland dancing mentioned below. All of what we
call SCD and Ceilidh dancing were simply European forms of dancing
prior to the 20c, and their certainly was no dancing border between
England and Scotland. So Scots who originally settled the Americas, and
later immigrants brought with them the European dancing they knew at
home. Given, there were stylistic differences, but these were such that
they simply merged with those of  the other European communities in the
New World.

When it came to the later origins of what we call ceilidh dancing,
these are primarily schottisches that spread out from Germany. A
popular folk dance here on Mallorca, is called the "polka" (not it is
obviously a schottische done to music that seems Irish and of piping
origin), virtually everyone knows it as a common round the "room"
(don´t know what word to use since the dancing here is mostly outside,
so perhaps a "cercaplaça")  finishing dance. We know it as "Gay
Gordons".

The evidence of this is found in its opposites. No identifiable
Scottish dancing, but Gaelic survived in the Americas, as did hundreds
of identifiably Scottish tunes, which have become so American to
Americans that most of them would not even consider them Scottish. The
fact is that they did bring their dances, which simply merged and
whatever differences that might have been considered Scottish simply
disappeared.

Highland dancing was not even standardized until the late 40´s and
early 50´s (the SOBHD is about 25 years younger then the RSCDS. I
suspect that many aspects of step dancing that are of Scottish origin
did come to America, but then got merged into various "pan British"
dance forms namely the jig and the hormpipe, which passed on to the
American tap dancing tradition. In this case there was a reverse
connection in that there are historicly identified American tunes that
went back to the U.K. where they are known as of American origin.

This historical, or linguistic, error is common in Scotland and with
SC dancers because of the Society, and is not heard in EFDSS circles,
in that they acknowledge no border of their dancing when it comes to
Scotland.
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

March 7, 2006, 9:10 a.m. (Message 44523, in reply to message 44522)

Richard Goss wrote:

> With the exception of Highland dancing mentioned below. All of what we
> call SCD and Ceilidh dancing were simply European forms of dancing
> prior to the 20c, and their certainly was no dancing border between
> England and Scotland. So Scots who originally settled the Americas, and
> later immigrants brought with them the European dancing they knew at
> home. Given, there were stylistic differences, but these were such that
> they simply merged with those of  the other European communities in the
> New World.

This is all true, but what of those Scots who emigrated before country dancing
reached them during the 19th century? The article talks about country dancing
being taken up in Scotland during the 18th century, but that applies mostly
to the big cities in the South and the surrounding countryside. Country
dancing took much longer in reaching the Highlands, and many of those who
emigrated subscribed to older forms of dancing which were not well-known (let
alone recently imported from) somewhere else. In consequence, in Cape Breton,
which was settled by highland Scots in the 18th century, we find very little
country dancing but much material which has evolved from older, »more«
Scottish dance forms (and influenced by other types of dance which other
immigrants brought to the area).

The article cited by Eric, in particular, refers to one Topham, who I presume
is the Major Topham who visited Edinburgh in the 18c and was impressed with
the vigour the Scots exhibited when dancing Scottish reels (not country
dances). Reels and country dances co-existed for a long time and dancing
masters were expected to teach both.

I have two points to make about the article cited by Eric: First, »De'il stick
the minister« is alive and well if not as popular in this gentile age as it
once may have been. Second, I don't buy the paragraph entitled »Penny
Wedding«. For one, it does not talk about penny weddings at all. Secondly,
the »perform'd in Scotland« does not mean anything; it is probably just
marketing talk. For example, publishers of dance books as well as dance
teachers not just in Scotland but all over Britain would be quick to
advertise that their material was based on personal experience with the
newest styles current in fashionable places like Paris, when they had in fact
never even been close enough to Dover to smell the sea air. In the old days,
to most people in the civilised South, Scotland was an exotic place (a modern
equivalent would be the Amazonas basin) and dances purportedly from there
would carry a certain appeal even if they were otherwise no different from
what people would come up with elsewhere. It was also usual to call a dance
Scottish if the music was Scottish, the music could possibly be construed to
perhaps have originated in Scotland, or the music had a vaguely
Scottish-sounding title. A dance itself did not have to have anything to do
with Scotland at all, and in fact, discernable »Scottish« notions did not
creep into country dancing, »as done in Scotland«, until much closer towards
the end of the 18th century. And as Goss points out, it took until the 20th
century for the dance form to be called *Scottish* country dancing.

Anselm
You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on the
continuing viability of FORTRAN.                             -- Alan J. Perlis
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

March 7, 2006, 2:08 p.m. (Message 44525, in reply to message 44520)

Adding to my previous post, a lot of what we call "ladies´ Highland"
came from Belgium where it was learned by a Catholic Scot, who was a
university drop out and retuned to the highlands to teach. So who is to
say what part of what we call Highland is Scottish and not urban
European through his teaching.

This came to mind because last week we had a "national" (Baleares)
holiday, that included three days of choirs, dem teams, poetry, etc.
from other parts of Spain. Each region of Spain has the equivalent of
"Casa de [name of region]", and these all have teams of sorts. My
comments here cover some material in several previous strathspey
threads.

Someone posted that folk costumes are very uniform, I felt that this
was not true at the time because of a recent experience with a visting
Serbian team, yes, similar pattern, but no more uniform then the cross
section of all the kids at a modern high school. Here is the pattern I
discovered. Yes, all the dance teams had uniform costumes, or nearly
so, however if one tossed their fans and bands into the mix, the
uniformness disappears, though the relative age of the costume stayed
the same. Remember that these teams are made up of expats, who,
themselves are foregners here. This would be the same as say an
Edinburgh dance team designing a dem costume, based on some notion of
traditional dress. The one group that was definitely not in uniform was
the only one that actually came from outside the island. Everything in
each of their costumes, including shoes were different, within a range
of similarity. The interesting thing is that in choosing their style of
dance and costume, even though the traditional costume of Menorca has
exact parallels in Mallorca,  they chose costumes based on the urban
upper class, instead of rural peasants. If you saw this costume
anywhere else in Europe, it would be no different from that found from
Spain across to Eastern Europe, Croatia, and up to Scotland. E.g.:
Men´s black heeled shoes with silver buckles, white socks, black
"kneebundhosen", white shirts, and waistcoats. Women´s black heeled
dancing shoes (character shoes in the catalogues I have seen), bloomers
with white socks, textured skirt (sometimes brocade), white blouse,
with an "Aboyne" type "drindle". Their dancing is also dead among the
"folk" in that they are choosing for a style, similar to the RSCDS, a
balletic high cultural style more typical of the aristocrats than the
people (note, that their ancestors were under British rule during the
hay day of country dancing in Scotland). Of the three basic types of
music, their featured one is the "fandango", as opposed to the bolero
and jota, all of which they perform in the fandango style, and often in
longways formation, even with progression and minor sets. Here on
Mallorca (as hosts not represented on thios occasion (see below), we
also dance the same three forms, but not in the cultured aristocratic
style, though it comes through in our fandango which is derivitive of a
court dance. Another differences, is the fact that the Menorquí dancers
uses steps similar to both Irish and Scottish step dancing, and even
with turnout and on their toes.

Whereas the "strangers" got Friday night to Sunday night for their
performances, only the Basques actually danced socially off the stage,
including lving steps that one might call "pasos de vascos", that we
would recognize (no costumes, just folks dancing. The Mallorquí dance
offering was an entire evening (other regions got 30 minutes each), in
the street with a band, spectators at any given moment outnumbering
dancers. The dance, as per usual, lasted 2 hours, with nonstop music
(musicians rotated in and out when they needed  a drink, or wanted to
dance). But then, unlike SCD, and other modern forms of folk dancing,
this is a currently living tradition of the folk, not members of some
club isolated from the general culture.