pas de basque coupe - CORRECTION

L. Friedman-Shedlov

Feb. 8, 2006, 7:17 p.m. (Message 44193)

I got RF and LF mixed up when I first sent this out.  Here is a corrected
description of the movement.  Sorry for any confusion.

I can perhaps be of more help with your second question.  I don't know where
you can find an "official" description, but pad de basque coupe is as follows:

Bar 1: Starting with the RF, dance a regular pas de basque step, finishing (as
usual) with a LF jete to 4th intermediate aerial position
Bar 2: Execute a balance movement, i.e.
   Beats 1-2: the LF comes back to briefly meet the RF in 3rd position,
weight is transferred onto the LF and the RF is extended back to 4th rear
intermediate aerial position
   Beats 3-4: the  RF  comes back to briefly meet the LF in 3rd position,
weight is transferred onto the RF as the LF is extended to 4th
intermediate aerial position (i.e., back where you started at the end of
bar 1)
(The knee of the supporting leg is slightly bent, but the leg that is extending
should be straight -- no bent knee! The balance movement should look smooth,
like one leg is displacing the other while the upper body remains still and
upright.)

You are now ready to do a pas de basque LF and then the coupe/balance movement
starting with the RF.

Hope this helps.

Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
********************************
S. K. Graham

S. K. Graham

Feb. 9, 2006, 11:15 p.m. (Message 44208, in reply to message 44193)

On 2/8/06, L. Friedman~Shedlov <xxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx> wrote:

> (The knee of the supporting leg is slightly bent, but the leg that is
> extending
> should be straight -- no bent knee! The balance movement should look
> smooth,
> like one leg is displacing the other while the upper body remains still
> and
> upright.)

And for what it's worth, in Highland and many step dances, the arms are held
up during the  coupe ("balance") portion of the figure, and are on the hips
during  the pas-de-basque.

I'm not sure how this looks with the arms down in usual  SCD position.

Keith Graham
Atlanta, GA
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

Feb. 10, 2006, 9:43 a.m. (Message 44209, in reply to message 44208)

Greetings!

Keith Graham writes of pdb coupé

>I'm not sure how this looks with the arms down in usual  SCD position.
IMO, much better than asking people who are not used/trained to hold their
arms up to do so and then watch the the arms slowly sag.

Jim Healy
Monaco
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

Feb. 10, 2006, 10:41 a.m. (Message 44210, in reply to message 44209)

Jim responded to Keith Graham on pdb coupé:

> >I'm not sure how this looks with the arms down in usual SCD position.
>
> IMO, much better than asking people who are not used/trained to hold
> their arms up to do so and then watch the the arms slowly sag.

Or looking as if they're hanging out the washing  (up, down, up, down, ...)

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Feb. 10, 2006, 11:11 a.m. (Message 44212, in reply to message 44210)

POSTURE IS EVERYTHING - puff that chest out - hold that head high - imagine
that and look as if you are a dangerous highlander/Mel Gibson/George Cluney
rolled into one - then  you will have achieved the arms as well.  Oh and if
you are short sighted don't go for the advice about being able to see your
elbows - they are not supposed to be in front of your nose :>)

Pia
Robert Lambie

Robert Lambie

Feb. 10, 2006, 10:46 p.m. (Message 44215, in reply to message 44209)

ah Jim, if only it were only the arms that sagged! Pia says puff out the
chest, but I prefer to suggest the idea of a lamp on the top part of the
sternum (chest bone) that has to shine not just out but up as this has trhe
effect of improving the posture as well as just inflating the chest.
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

Feb. 10, 2006, 11:55 p.m. (Message 44216, in reply to message 44215)

Actually, if the men are raising their arms to 3rd position during
the coupe, puffing out the chest or raising the sternum are likely to
contribute to one of the most common problems (probably the most common
after the "hanging out the washing" syndrome, i.e. elbows too bent), that
is: When the arms are raised in 3rd position, there is a tendency for
people to raise their shoulders so they are up around their ears, which
looks terrible.  You need to keep your arms up, but your shoulders *down*.

/ Lara in Minneapolis, MN, USA

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
********************************
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Feb. 11, 2006, 3:34 p.m. (Message 44217, in reply to message 44216)

I did NOT say puff out the chest :>)  I said chest out. I also mentioned
POSTURE - the stuff that comes if you tighten up your tummy muscles (inwards
and upwards), pull in your bum, adjust your pelvis, straighten your spine,
hold your head up, by which time it is difficult to have shoulders round the
ears - because of course they should be down.

Pia
John Cahill

John Cahill

Feb. 12, 2006, 12:32 a.m. (Message 44218, in reply to message 44217)

Yes, Sergeant!

[Cheers,

-John-]
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Feb. 12, 2006, 1:25 p.m. (Message 44220, in reply to message 44218)

Attention!  You did not think you came into RSCDS and Scottish Country
Dancing to actually enjoy yourself?  Did You?   It is a VERY serious
pastime - you must have posture, good manners, knowledge, be able to fit in
and be dressed accurately BEFORE venturing onto the dance floor.   And of
course if you are not scottish, forget it - you can never be able to dance
properly anyway - any intelligent person knows that SCD is genetic and
therefore us foreigners will never be able to dance the way SCD was meant to
be danced.

So there!

Pia :>)
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Feb. 10, 2006, 11:11 a.m. (Message 44211, in reply to message 44208)

Only for men - ladies look soft and nice and have their hands at the sides
either loosely hanging or in some cases holding their dresses  - really
difficult in a miniskirt :>)

And with regards to men - if their posture is to pot and their fingers
touching their pate - then they should keep their hands to their sides at
all times too :>)

and do remember the rear extension too - it is not pas de basque - coupee -
flick. :>)

pia