Spell checkers

  • ...

    Bruce Hamilton Feb. 5, 2006, 5:53 p.m. (Message 44147)

    Richard Goss wrote:

    > I once altered my spell checker to automaticly substitue the first
    > suggestion for the suspect word. Then submitted my class roster.
    >
    >   Cary Hart > Carry Heart,
    >   Alejandra Ramos > Allegedly Remiss,
    >   Eric Bartel > Epic Brothel

    Lovely!  My spell-checker keeps wanting to replace "Drewry" with
    "Dreary" :-)

    Bruce Hamilton      xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx   650-328-0474 (home)
    xxxxx_xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx   650-485-1103 (fax)   650-485-2818 (work)
  • ...

    Fyreladdie Feb. 5, 2006, 9:12 p.m. (Message 44148, in reply to message 44147)

    Bruce,
    A friend of mine, Nirmal is from India. His spell-check alwayys wants to
    change his name to Normal. He's always saying, "Nirmal is not Normal."

    << Lovely!  My spell-checker keeps wanting to replace "Drewry" with
    "Dreary" :-) >>
  • ...

    Richard Goss Feb. 5, 2006, 10:01 p.m. (Message 44149, in reply to message 44147)

    Dreary Drewry, your checker would probably be ranked as a remidial beginner.
  • ...

    Jim Healy Feb. 6, 2006, 1:20 p.m. (Message 44161, in reply to message 44149)

    Greetings!

    I had the same problem with Dreary Drewry but compounded when the
    spellchecker changed a dem set from 'A Drewry Medley' to 'A Dreary Muddle'.

    The application should have accepted "medley" leading one of the team to
    suggest this proved that computers _are_ sentient(?)

    Jim Healy
    Monaco
  • ...

    Ron Mackey Feb. 6, 2006, 11:51 p.m. (Message 44166, in reply to message 44161)

    > The application should have accepted "medley" leading one of the team to
    > suggest this proved that computers _are_ sentient(?)
    >
    > Jim Healy
    > Monaco

    	No, Jim.  It just proves that you do not upgrade your dictionary!!

    However that correction can prove uncannily correct on some
    occasions!    :~)