Celtic Reels

Emily Gerrie

Feb. 3, 2006, 6:05 a.m. (Message 44068)

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in teaching celtic reels in the coming weeks, but I haven't
been too successful in finding dances with them.  I know of 'The Celtic
Reel' by Barry Skelton in his Celtic book (which may have been their first
appearance, though I'm not too sure of that) but I don't have the original
instructions.  Does anyone know of others (and where I might be able to find
them)?

Thanks,
Emily Gerrie
(Ottawa)
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Feb. 3, 2006, 8:30 a.m. (Message 44069, in reply to message 44068)

On 03/02/2006 06:05, Emily Gerrie wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm interested in teaching celtic reels in the coming weeks, but I
> haven't been too successful in finding dances with them.  I know of 'The
> Celtic Reel' by Barry Skelton in his Celtic book (which may have been
> their first appearance, though I'm not too sure of that) but I don't
> have the original instructions.  Does anyone know of others (and where I
> might be able to find them)?
>
> Thanks,
> Emily Gerrie

Try using DanceData. There you will discover:

Bonavista by Georgina Finlay (instructions sent privately)
Ceiltich Crois by Duncan Keppie
The Celtic Line by Eddy West
homepages.igrin.co.nz/scotdance/Celticl.html

Celtic Square by Brian Charlton (Hi Brian)
Celtic Wedding by Eddy West
Vice Versa by Eddy West http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/scotdance/vicevers.html

Interestingly, I don't have Barry Skelton's dance with this formation.
Can anyone help ME out with the instructions?

Alan
Martin

Martin

Feb. 3, 2006, 9:30 a.m. (Message 44070, in reply to message 44069)

To show my ignorance :

what is a Celtic reel?

Martin
(ps: we sometimes do French reels -- five people on one side of the set, one
feeling lonely on the other!)
George Watt

George Watt

Feb. 3, 2006, 10:33 a.m. (Message 44072, in reply to message 44070)

Contact Fiona Mackie at the RSCDS Dundee Branch who had devised a lovely wee
dance for Jim Healy which included Celtic Reels.

xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

www.rscds-dundee.org.uk

There is a book of dances plus a CD with original music by Luke Brady
available with the Celtic Reel included.

George Watt.
4 Ancrum Drive,
Dundee.
DD2 2JB
Scotland.

tel. 01382 642131
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Feb. 3, 2006, 12:37 p.m. (Message 44086, in reply to message 44072)

On 03/02/2006 10:33, George Watt wrote:
> Contact Fiona Mackie at the RSCDS Dundee Branch who had devised a lovely
> wee dance for Jim Healy which included Celtic Reels.
>
> xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
>
> www.rscds-dundee.org.uk
>
> There is a book of dances plus a CD with original music by Luke Brady
> available with the Celtic Reel included.

I could use the info on this? Anyone willing/able to help out?

Alan
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

Feb. 3, 2006, 3:41 p.m. (Message 44107, in reply to message 44070)

I wasn't aware that this is a standard name for a formation, but I assume
it refers to the reels in Barry Skelton's Dance "Celtic Reel."  It's a
reel of 4 where the axis rotates 1/4 every two bars (not to be confused
with the reels in Belhaven, which also rotate, but in a different way).

I don't believe I've encountered this formation in any other dance so far.
It is kind of the signature figure of the dance Celtic Reel (it takes 16
bars, so it is half the dance), so putting it in another dance would be
kind of pointless, unless maybe it were a longer dance or medley.  It
would be kind of like taking the rights and lefts figure in Trip to
Bavaria (I call that one "four couple rights and lefts) and putting that
into another dance. To a large degree, the formation *is* the dance.

Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
********************************
John & Anne Archdeacon

John & Anne Archdeacon

Feb. 5, 2006, 3:30 a.m. (Message 44140, in reply to message 44107)

I think Alan Paterson mentioned Georgina Findlay's "Bona Vista" a 4 couple
dance with Celtic reels danced by 1s & 2s  and 3s & 4s.  It was given to us
here in Cairns, and was very popular in North Queensland for a couple of
years - certainly has more to it than Barry Skelton's original dance

Anne Archdeacon
Cairns, Australia

Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Feb. 3, 2006, 11:03 a.m. (Message 44075, in reply to message 44068)

Emily Gerrie wrote:

> I'm interested in teaching celtic reels in the coming weeks, but I haven't
> been too successful in finding dances with them.

So far I haven't heard of a formation called »Celtic reels«. Can anyone
summarise briefly what these look like?

Anselm
How would a car function if it were designed like a computer? Occasionally,
executing a maneuver would cause your car to stop and fail and you would have
to re-install the engine, and the airbag system would say, »Are you sure?«
before going off.                                              -- Katie Hafner
Dave & Christine Phillips

Dave & Christine Phillips

Feb. 3, 2006, 12:25 p.m. (Message 44084, in reply to message 44075)

Private reply sent

Christine Phillips
Western Australia
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

Feb. 3, 2006, 1:05 p.m. (Message 44087, in reply to message 44084)

Anselm asked:

> So far I haven't heard of a formation called >Celtic reels<. Can anyone
> summarise briefly what these look like?

To which Christine replied:

> Private reply sent

Why?  I'd really like to know what these are, too, and I'm sure that goes
for many others on the list.  Private replies are appropriate where complete
copyrighted dances are being sent, or where someone else's personal
information is being sent, but I think in this case sending a public reply
is FAR more appropriate.

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
Andrea Re

Andrea Re

Feb. 3, 2006, 1:10 p.m. (Message 44088, in reply to message 44087)

Ian Brockbank ha scritto:

>Anselm asked:
>

>>So far I haven't heard of a formation called >Celtic reels<. Can anyone
>>summarise briefly what these look like?
>>

>To which Christine replied:
>

>>Private reply sent
>>

>Why?  I'd really like to know what these are, too, and I'm sure that goes
>for many others on the list.  Private replies are appropriate where complete
>copyrighted dances are being sent, or where someone else's personal
>information is being sent, but I think in this case sending a public reply
>is FAR more appropriate.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ian Brockbank
>Edinburgh, Scotland
>xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
>http://www.scottishdance.net/

There you have it (I had sent a private reply as well in order not to
spam the list:=):

Celtic reels,

In a line of four across the dance, 2s on the outside, 1's in the middle
2M- --1L   1M- -2L

Pass RS with the person opposite, dance round each other LS in the
centre or dance on one place on the outside in a clockwise fashion.
Facing up and down the dance, pass RS, dance round left in the centre or
one place on outside. Continue reeling in this way until back in the
starting position (16 bars).

Hope this helps (although the instructions do sound rather cryptic:)

Andrea (fae Dundee)
Martin

Martin

Feb. 3, 2006, 1:47 p.m. (Message 44095, in reply to message 44088)

Andrea Re

Andrea Re

Feb. 3, 2006, 1:53 p.m. (Message 44098, in reply to message 44095)

mj.sheffield ha scritto:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Re"
>
>> Celtic reels,
>>
>> In a line of four across the dance, 2s on the outside, 1's in the middle
>> 2M- --1L   1M- -2L
>

> Should I conclude that there are in fact more than 4 people involved
> here?
>
> Martin

No, only four people take part in the reel, the line is across the set,
then it is in the middle of the set, then across again, middle and you
finish where you started.

I doubt this makes any sense at all..... the figure is actually quite
easy, all you have to do is to count 1-2 and remember to go in the right
direction:=)

Andrea (fae Dundee)
Andrea Re

Andrea Re

Feb. 3, 2006, 1:53 p.m. (Message 44099, in reply to message 44095)

mj.sheffield ha scritto:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Re"
>
>> Celtic reels,
>>
>> In a line of four across the dance, 2s on the outside, 1's in the middle
>> 2M- --1L   1M- -2L
>

> Should I conclude that there are in fact more than 4 people involved
> here?
>
> Martin

No, only four people take part in the reel, the line is across the set,
then it is in the middle of the set, then across again, middle and you
finish where you started.

I doubt this makes any sense at all..... the figure is actually quite
easy, all you have to do is to count 1-2 and remember to go in the right
direction:=)

Andrea (fae Dundee)
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

Feb. 3, 2006, 1:50 p.m. (Message 44096, in reply to message 44088)

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the explanation.  It sounds very like a figure in one of the
dances submitted for the New Scotland 50th Anniversary book (I can't
remember the name, it didn't make the cut on the dance-throughs, but I
remember a whole lot of us getting confused by these rotating reels).

> There you have it (I had sent a private reply as well in order not to
> spam the list:=):

This isn't spam - it's absolutely core list subject matter IMO.  It's
certainly far more on-topic than a lot of the email we've had in the last
couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

Feb. 4, 2006, 12:59 a.m. (Message 44121, in reply to message 44096)

> Thanks for the explanation.  It sounds very like a figure in one of the
> dances submitted for the New Scotland 50th Anniversary book (I can't
> remember the name, it didn't make the cut on the dance-throughs, but I
> remember a whole lot of us getting confused by these rotating reels).
> Ian Brockbank

	Are these reels the same or similar to the ones Hugh Foss tried
in Belhaven?   I seem to remember him playing that sort of game but I
can't get to my copy at the moment - it's buried somewhere fairly
nearby but ...  ! :~)   He certainly did a reel of four where one entered
from a circle and back out again and thought he made it rotate in
another variation which would be something similar.
	Wish we could try some of them again.
Eddy West

Eddy West

Feb. 4, 2006, 3:23 a.m. (Message 44124, in reply to message 44121)

No the "Celtic Reel differs from the rotating reels of 4 in Belhaven - also
described in "Roll Back The Carpet". The simplest way to explain this is to
say that in a rotating reel of 4, as in a non rotating reel you pass one of
the other dancers to go into the centre, another in the centre and then pass
the third other person to go out to the other end (or s ide if the reel
rotates) while in the "Celtic Reel" you pass the same person going out as
you passed going in. This is because in a rotating Reel of 4 you only go
round the person in the centre 1/4 turn while in the "Celtic Reel" you go
3/4. A revolving reel of takes 8 bars to complete while the Celtic Reel
takes 16.
Barry Skelton has written two dances with revolving reels of 4 both as
Ceilidh items, one "The Caber" is published in "The Kiwi Book", the other
involving a double revolving reel was interesting but not something to dance
often.

Eddy West
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

Feb. 4, 2006, 9:57 p.m. (Message 44136, in reply to message 44124)

> Barry Skelton has written two dances with revolving reels of 4 both as
> Ceilidh items, one "The Caber" is published in "The Kiwi Book", the other
> involving a double revolving reel was interesting but not something to dance
> often.
>
> Eddy West

	Thanks, Eddy
		I'll look it up when I've cleared a path ... !
Dave & Christine Phillips

Dave & Christine Phillips

Feb. 3, 2006, 2:36 p.m. (Message 44102, in reply to message 44087)

Why?  Because I did send him the whole dance and didn't want to infringe
copyright!

Christine
Eddy West

Eddy West

Feb. 4, 2006, 3:47 a.m. (Message 44125, in reply to message 44068)

Further to my last wordy comment I can only check against Barry's "The
Caber" and in that dance after 8 bars you have daced half a reel 4
with partners in promenade hold (Reel Time). You are however in
original positions as the reel has rotated half a turn.

Eddy West
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

Feb. 4, 2006, 9:57 p.m. (Message 44137, in reply to message 44125)

> Further to my last wordy comment I can only check against Barry's
"The Caber" and in that dance after 8 bars you have daced half a reel
4 with partners in promenade hold (Reel Time). You are however in
original positions as the reel has rotated half a turn.

> Eddy West

	Durr -   Yeah - ??  :))

Regards, Ron