Sgian Dubh

Andrew Buxton

Feb. 2, 2006, 2:18 p.m. (Message 44047)

The (online) Oxford English Dictionary records several spellings over
the years but uses skene as its headword, supported amongst others by
two quotations from Scott. The black sort is shown as skene-dhu in
English and sgian dubh in Gaelic. There is also a skene-ochle which is
concealed near the armpit.

  Andrew Buxton
  Brighton, UK

Alasdair Graham <xxxxxxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx> wrote:
> [...]

The spelling is listed as SKEAN in the following 11 sources

: Encarta® World English Dictionary, North American Edition
: Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 10th Edition
: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
: Infoplease Dictionary
: Dictionary.com
: Online Plain Text English Dictionary
: Webster's Revised Unabridged, 1913 Edition
: AllWords.com Multi-Lingual Dictionary
: Webster's 1828 Dictionary
: Hutchinson's Dictionary of Difficult Words
: The Phrontistery - A Dictionary of Obscure Words

for those who are 'concerned' about such matters.

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland.

-----
Andrew Buxton