Sgian Dubh was Scottish Country Dancing VS Scottish Folk Dancing

  • ...

    Thomas G. Mungall, III Feb. 1, 2006, 3:17 p.m. (Message 44016)

    Richard,
    Don't we usually see the spelling as "sgian dubh"?

    Tom
  • ...

    Richard Goss Feb. 1, 2006, 3:48 p.m. (Message 44019, in reply to message 44016)

    Sgean / sgian, don´t know who "we" are, but I have seen it both ways.
  • ...

    Alasdair Graham Feb. 1, 2006, 4:01 p.m. (Message 44020, in reply to message 44016)

    The spelling is listed as SKEAN in the following 11 sources

    : Encarta® World English Dictionary, North American Edition
    : Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 10th Edition
    : The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
    : Infoplease Dictionary
    : Dictionary.com
    : Online Plain Text English Dictionary
    : Webster's Revised Unabridged, 1913 Edition
    : AllWords.com Multi-Lingual Dictionary
    : Webster's 1828 Dictionary
    : Hutchinson's Dictionary of Difficult Words
    : The Phrontistery - A Dictionary of Obscure Words

    for those who are 'concerned' about such matters.

    Alasdair Graham
    Dumbarton, Scotland.
  • ...

    Ian Brockbank Feb. 1, 2006, 4:25 p.m. (Message 44021, in reply to message 44020)

    Hi Thomas,

    > The spelling is listed as SKEAN in the following 11 sources
    >
    > : EncartaR World English Dictionary, North American Edition
    > : Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 10th Edition
    > : The American HeritageR Dictionary of the English Language
    > : Infoplease Dictionary
    > : Dictionary.com
    > : Online Plain Text English Dictionary
    > : Webster's Revised Unabridged, 1913 Edition
    > : AllWords.com Multi-Lingual Dictionary
    > : Webster's 1828 Dictionary
    > : Hutchinson's Dictionary of Difficult Words
    > : The Phrontistery - A Dictionary of Obscure Words
    >
    > for those who are 'concerned' about such matters.

    In Gaelic it's "sgian" - knife.  Probably one source has picked up an
    Anglicised version and the others have copied it.  "Skean" is _not_ a common
    spelling in my experience - I would expect "Sgian".

    Cheers,

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    http://www.scottishdance.net/
  • ...

    Richard Goss Feb. 1, 2006, 9:17 p.m. (Message 44025, in reply to message 44020)

    Since the spelling had nothing to do with my post, I was really more
    interested in the usage of the post, having a "grammar moment" with
    the pronoun "we" sans antecedent.