Eccles' Rant

  • ...

    Chris1Ronald Jan. 31, 2006, 11:57 p.m. (Message 44009)

    I've been reading the instructions for Eccles' Rant in the 18th Century
    Book, and am planning to teach it soon.  I wonder if there's anyone out  there who
    knows the dance and could answer a few questions.

    1. Would you face out on bar 8 (ready to cast), or would  you complete the
    Petronella turn, and then begin to cast on bar 9?
    2. The instructions specify that second couple move up on bars 11 to  12.
    But, if the aim is to be helpful to first couple, they should rather  step up on
    bars 9 to 10 while first couple are casting to second place.   Any comments
    on that?
    3. As first couple, would you retain nearer hands on bar 16, ready for  the
    circle with the second couple.  (It would seem a bit unnatural  to break hands
    only to rejoin a moment later.)
    4. Can anyone comment on the origin of the name, which is also the name of
    the lead tune, besides the fact that Eccles is a town near Manchester, best
    known for its Eccles cakes.

    Thanks,

    Chris, New York.
  • ...

    mlamontbrown Feb. 6, 2006, 3:39 p.m. (Message 44162, in reply to message 44009)

    I finally bothered to look up my instructions for this dance (it looks as if it is
    many years since I bothered to teach it), and of course the original instructions.

    1) I think the way the instructions are written, I would dance the first sixteen bars
    as a petronella movement, without the setting, so the last 2 bars are move to
    original place and turn to face in.

    2) The normal rule for moving is to do it so that the dancing couple have space - but
    there is / was another rule that you did so at a time that did not take the attention
    away from the dancing couple (so it was 3&4 of the phrase, rather than 1&2 or 7&8, if
    first couple were dancing down the middle and up to 2nd place).

    3) As for point 3, the diagram in the book shows the position at the end of bar 16,
    with first couple in the middle, nearer hands joined, facing the 3s.

    Malcolm

    Malcolm L Brown
    York

    Of