Skean Dubh WAS Scottish Country Dancing VS Scottish Folk Dancing

  • ...

    Alasdair Graham Jan. 31, 2006, 9:52 p.m. (Message 44006)

  • ...

    Carl Spain Feb. 1, 2006, 5:18 a.m. (Message 44011, in reply to message 44006)

    On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 20:52 +0000, Alasdair Graham wrote:
    > Almost all shops selling Skean Dubh's now stock identical ones to the knife
    > type but with no metal blade just the resin material continuing down for the
    > normal blade length.

    Around here we call that a "sgian don't"

    Carl Spain
    Waco TX USA
  • ...

    r.carnegie Feb. 1, 2006, 5:23 a.m. (Message 44012, in reply to message 44011)

    I saw one once that had a church key instead of a blade.

    Ron Carnegie
  • ...

    Pia Walker Feb. 1, 2006, 10:09 a.m. (Message 44014, in reply to message 44012)

    Bottle openers are popular in Scandinavia

    Pia
  • ...

    Thomas G. Mungall, III Feb. 1, 2006, 3:24 p.m. (Message 44017, in reply to message 44011)

    There is a historical precedent for the bladeless sgian dubh. In the
    Victorian and Edwardian eras they made bladeless dirks and sgian dubhs for
    boys to wear with their Highland attire. Some had wooden blades while some
    were simply one piece, handle and sheath. The current bladeless variety are
    called "safety" sgian dubhs. These safety sgian dubhs are certainly
    interesting present day social commentary.

    Tom Mungall
    Baton Rouge, La, USA
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Feb. 1, 2006, 3:40 p.m. (Message 44018, in reply to message 44017)

    Tom Mungall wrote:

    > These safety sgian dubhs are certainly
    > interesting present day social commentary.

    Public service announcement:

    Anyone who believes in »safety« sgian dubhs should have a look at Bruce
    Schneier's essay, »Airplane Security and Metal Knives«, available from
    http://www.schneier.com/essay-095.html.

    Bruce Schneier is a notable IT security expert who has also written
    extensively and cogently on safety and security in fields other than IT. His
    weblog at http://www.schneier.com/blog/ is well worth following if you are at
    all interested in these things (and everybody should be, I think). He has
    also written a bunch of rather worthwhile books.

    Now returning you to your scheduled discussion on whether SCD is folk
    dancing ...

    Anselm
    Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.      -- Robert Frost