Skean Dubh WAS Scottish Country Dancing VS Scottish Folk Dancing

Alasdair Graham

Alasdair Graham

Jan. 31, 2006, 9:52 p.m. (Message 44006)

Carl Spain

Carl Spain

Feb. 1, 2006, 5:18 a.m. (Message 44011, in reply to message 44006)

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 20:52 +0000, Alasdair Graham wrote:
> Almost all shops selling Skean Dubh's now stock identical ones to the knife
> type but with no metal blade just the resin material continuing down for the
> normal blade length.

Around here we call that a "sgian don't"

Carl Spain
Waco TX USA
r.carnegie

r.carnegie

Feb. 1, 2006, 5:23 a.m. (Message 44012, in reply to message 44011)

I saw one once that had a church key instead of a blade.

Ron Carnegie
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Feb. 1, 2006, 10:09 a.m. (Message 44014, in reply to message 44012)

Bottle openers are popular in Scandinavia

Pia
Thomas G. Mungall, III

Thomas G. Mungall, III

Feb. 1, 2006, 3:24 p.m. (Message 44017, in reply to message 44011)

There is a historical precedent for the bladeless sgian dubh. In the
Victorian and Edwardian eras they made bladeless dirks and sgian dubhs for
boys to wear with their Highland attire. Some had wooden blades while some
were simply one piece, handle and sheath. The current bladeless variety are
called "safety" sgian dubhs. These safety sgian dubhs are certainly
interesting present day social commentary.

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Feb. 1, 2006, 3:40 p.m. (Message 44018, in reply to message 44017)

Tom Mungall wrote:

> These safety sgian dubhs are certainly
> interesting present day social commentary.

Public service announcement:

Anyone who believes in »safety« sgian dubhs should have a look at Bruce
Schneier's essay, »Airplane Security and Metal Knives«, available from
http://www.schneier.com/essay-095.html.

Bruce Schneier is a notable IT security expert who has also written
extensively and cogently on safety and security in fields other than IT. His
weblog at http://www.schneier.com/blog/ is well worth following if you are at
all interested in these things (and everybody should be, I think). He has
also written a bunch of rather worthwhile books.

Now returning you to your scheduled discussion on whether SCD is folk
dancing ...

Anselm
Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.      -- Robert Frost