Kilts in Scotland (was Scottish Country Dancing VS Scottish Folk Dancing)

  • ...

    Jim Healy Jan. 31, 2006, 9:12 a.m. (Message 43980)

    Richard,

    I suspect your comments are more representative of the position twenty years
    ago but the kilt is very much alive and well in Scotland today. For example,
    the other week I was in the supermarket in Perth and all three oft he men
    shopping in one aisle were wearing the kilt - the fact that it was the booze
    aisle was mere happenstance :)

    Jim Healy
    Monaco
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Jan. 31, 2006, 10:30 a.m. (Message 43984, in reply to message 43980)

    Jim Healy wrote:

    > For example, the other week I was in the supermarket in Perth and all three
    > of the men shopping in one aisle were wearing the kilt - the fact that it
    > was the booze aisle was mere happenstance :)

    Would that be including your dashing self?

    Anselm
    :^)
    A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic.           -- George Bernard Shaw
  • ...

    Richard Goss Jan. 31, 2006, 8:34 p.m. (Message 43998, in reply to message 43980)

    Not quite 20 years ago, was there two summers ago at St Andrews, and
    at least a weekend twice a year on family business. While I would
    agree that Perth would be a likely place to have seen this, it is just
    possible that if you went back to the same store you would have seen
    none. For the same reasons probably, one is more likely to see
    national dress here in a small town or village instead of Palma.

      In either case, it is a matter of dimension, the typical Scottish
      male of today must rent a kilt for a wedding or social event (not
      counting SC or H dancing), this makes it a folk costume and not
      clothes.

      BTW, a few years back, I got attacked for the same logic, when I was
      attending an Indian powwow in southern California (none of the
      tribes represented were of California, and Souix were the majority).
      I was told that these were not costume, but native dress. To which I
      asked how many were in attendance compared to all the indians of his
      tribe in Southern California, answer about 1%. To which I suggested
      that if the majority of the other 99% did not own "native dress" or
      wear it in the course of one´s daly life, then it was a costume
      (easier for Amerinds, because, unlike the Scots, the women´s costume
      is more commonly seen than the mens).

      The local, Malloruí, equivalent of being Scottish by wearing a bit
      of tratan, is found here with neckerchiefs (boy scout type of
      triangle, with no slide). On some feasts even the priest and altar
      boys wear them during mass, choirs commonly use them as the only
      uniform part of their uniform, as do teams and fans. They are almost
      the equivalent of fan t-shirts in the U.S. Besides around the neck,
      they are used as belts, arm and leg bands, and while girls wear them
      on their head as any scarf, men often wear them as an accessory to
      our local costume (sort of Pirates-of-the-Carribean), for men,
      except the foot wear for dancing groups are two tone brown and white
      golf shoes (socks are such an option here, that at an important
      mass, one can identify the bishop because he is the one with black
      shoes and socks, all the others look like Franciscans..
  • ...

    seonaid.gent Feb. 2, 2006, 11:40 p.m. (Message 44060, in reply to message 43998)

    At my wedding (18 months ago in Scotland) there were somewhere in the
    region of 100 males present at the evening reception.  Of these, I
    would say at least 80 of them were in kilts.  Out of these 80, less
    than 5 had hired their kilt for the evening. (And before you ask, less
    than half of them were dancers).

      I know a number of men who wear a kilt rather than a suit to any
      formal occasion (in fact, a number of them don't own a suit).

      While it might not be as common as wearing trousers, it is certainly
      not an unusual occurrence to see people doing every day activities
      in their kilts around my area of Scotland.

      Seonaid
      Markinch, Fife