Technique

Brian Charlton

Jan. 24, 2002, 10:10 p.m. (Message 29263)

G'Day, All,

Ron is quite right (I presume he means a cheval mirror or similar when he
says a pier glass - that had me for a moment) There is nothing like seeing
yourself in action.

I have used a video camera for this purpose (in special step and formation
clinic days). As teacher, I was able to review the video over the
intervening week and give each dancer a personal written critique with
suggestions for improvement. It was hard work!!

When the class is viewing the video, I can assure you that they are looking
at themselves and not the others!

Naturally, there is 'on-the-fly' coaching and repeat exercises so that the
dancers can see for themselves how they 'take direction' (that's what
theatre directors love - actors who can 'take direction', not the ones who
know it all).

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia.

>	A propos technique,  get a music player and music and a pier glass
(full length) and then stand in front of the glass to practise your
steps.   I could dance four steps forward and four back in our hall
at home without upsetting the rest of the family too much.
	There's nothing like seeing yourself in action to understand why
Teacher is frowning !    :)
Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

Jan. 25, 2002, 2 a.m. (Message 29271, in reply to message 29263)

Brian Charlton wrote:

> G'Day, All,
>
> Ron is quite right (I presume he means a cheval mirror or similar when he
> says a pier glass - that had me for a moment) There is nothing like seeing
> yourself in action.

I agree!  Our performance group recently moved into a studio that has
mirrors along one wall and it was a rude awakening for me to see what I look
like dancing!  It has been really helpful to have that feedback, though.
--
Steve Wyrick <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx> -- Concord, California