Dalkeith's Strathespey

Loretta Holz

Oct. 31, 2001, 4:39 p.m. (Message 27997)

Last night I taught this dance and as we did it I felt there was an awkward part.
1-4 Ist couple sets to and circles with second woman
5-6 1st couple sets to second man
In making the transition from the circle with the second woman to
setting to the first man should the first couple change hands so the
woman is now on the other side of her partner.  We kept hands it did
not seem smooth.

It seems that they would then go down the center on the opposite side
and return without switching sides so 1st man faces second woman, etc.
for the reel.

How do you do the dance?
Thanks
Loretta Holz
Fyreladdie

Fyreladdie

Oct. 31, 2001, 4:51 p.m. (Message 27998, in reply to message 27997)

Loretta,
    Dalkeith's Strath is a lovely dance and that first circle can look
awkward. All three dancers must really push round the circle so the first man
can swing to his partners right, facing second man. It's a real kilt twirler
and a challenge. What I do when teaching it is to have the first couple and
second woman anticipate the circle and flow immediately from the setting.
There should be no pause. Keeping the circle tight will also help.
    Also on bars 9-16 the first couple should take care not to rush to the
top of the set into positions for a reel of four. First man should see to
getting his partner facing 2nd man. It's all a matter of good phrasing.
Excellant challenge! Happy dancing.

Bob Mc Murtry
Felton, Calif.
Simon Scott

Simon Scott

Oct. 31, 2001, 4:51 p.m. (Message 27999, in reply to message 27997)

Loretta
This is a wonderful dance.  In most of our dancing we need more use of good
hands and helpful arms.  Usually this is directed at the men, however in bar
four of this dance it very much the lady who must help the man as they come
out of the first circle to face second man.  The man needs good support from
his partner as he dances slightly backwards (rather like a backwards polite
turn) at that point.  A fine old stately dance.  Enjoy it
Cheers Simon Scott
Vancouver
Last night I taught this dance and as we did it I felt there was an awkward
part.
1-4 Ist couple sets to and circles with second woman
5-6 1st couple sets to second man
In making the transition from the circle with the second woman to setting to
the first man should the first couple change hands so the woman is now on
the other side of her partner.  We kept hands it did not seem smooth.

It seems that they would then go down the center on the opposite side and
return without switching sides so 1st man faces second woman, etc.  for the
reel.

How do you do the dance?
Thanks
Loretta Holz
Marian Stroh

Marian Stroh

Oct. 31, 2001, 5:53 p.m. (Message 28000, in reply to message 27997)

Loretta - We have done Dalkeith's Strathspey many times.  It has been
popular on the west coast for several years.  No, we don't put the woman on
the wrong side.  First couple needs to be sure to complete the circle
rapidly in order to be in the correct position to set to second man.
Planning ahead and adjusting steps in the circle allows first couple to
finish in place for the next setting.  Do try it again!

Marian Stroh
Reno, NV
Chris1Ronald

Chris1Ronald

Nov. 1, 2001, 8:18 a.m. (Message 28001, in reply to message 27997)

In a message dated 10/31/2001 10:53:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:
> Loretta,
>     Dalkeith's Strath is a lovely dance ...snip...
>     Also on bars 9-16 the first couple should take care not to rush to the
> top of the set into positions for a reel of four. First man should see to
> getting his partner facing 2nd man.

Right. On bar 16, as first man, I like to lead my partner a fraction above
second couple, and turn a little anti-clockwise. In this way, the first
couple flow nicely into the reel of four.

Chris.