Red House (was Re: Loch Leven Castle)

Adam Hughes

Oct. 23, 2001, 6:29 p.m. (Message 27957)

Brian Charlton wrote:
> Of course, Red House is a flawed dance as well. Musically I am told it
> should be 48 bars and the English Country Dance version has that form.
>
> Not that the flaw destroys the pleasure of doing Red House in the (flawed)
> SCD form.

Having danced both, I consider the 32 bar SCD form to be the perfected
version, the dance having been created flawed and then recorded in the
1695 Playford publication.  Musicians may disagree, but eight bars to
"meet, sett and cast off into the 2. cu place", and then eight bars to
"meet, sett again and cast back", is just too much time for me.

Am I right in thinking the the Scottish version is played ABCC?

Adam
Cambridge UK.
Alan Twhigg

Alan Twhigg

Oct. 23, 2001, 7:15 p.m. (Message 27958, in reply to message 27957)

Adam,

I've always danced the 40-bar version, as published by the RSCDS -
locally the tune is usually played ABBCC so that the tune parts
correspond to the repetitions in the dance structure. How does the
32-bar version work? I haven't encountered it.

-Alan Twhigg.

(San Francisco Branch)
Adam Hughes

Adam Hughes

Oct. 23, 2001, 7:25 p.m. (Message 27959, in reply to message 27958)

Alan Twhigg wrote:
> I've always danced the 40-bar version, as published by the RSCDS
> - locally the tune is usually played ABBCC so that the tune parts
> correspond to the repetitions in the dance structure.

<Blush>  Me too.  I can't subtract 8 from 48, sorry. 32 bars seemed
right as I wrote. 40 bars I meant.

Adam
Cambridge, UK.
LindaSuzan

LindaSuzan

Oct. 23, 2001, 11:57 p.m. (Message 27960, in reply to message 27957)

Dear Adam,

Red House Reel is a favorite here as well (the 40 bar RSCDS version) and when
we play it for dancing we use ABBCC to fit the figures of the dance.

Linda Lieberman
Central Iowa Branch
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

Oct. 24, 2001, 1:33 p.m. (Message 27962, in reply to message 27957)

Making the music and the figures match is very important but the first 8 bars
of the Red House tune are so nice and satisfying to play (for me) I want to
play them twice.
Cheers,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord NH USA
Patricia Ruggiero

Patricia Ruggiero

Oct. 24, 2001, 8:21 p.m. (Message 27963, in reply to message 27962)

Sylvia wrote:
"... but the first 8 bars of the Red House tune are so nice and satisfying
to play (for me) I want to
play them twice."

Agreed!
Pat (amateur musician)