MackPherson's Jig

mlbrown

Oct. 22, 2001, 2:25 p.m. (Message 27951)

I have a typed set of instructions for the MacPherson's Jig, and a recent
copy of Pilling.

Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.

My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.

Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can let
me know which is correct?

Malcolm
Peter Hastings

Peter Hastings

Oct. 22, 2001, 2:42 p.m. (Message 27952, in reply to message 27951)

Hi Malcolm

All 3 couples turn LH (1C do it 1-1/2 times) as a precursor to rights and
lefts.

hope this helps

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory
Edinburgh
:)
ron.mackey

ron.mackey

Oct. 23, 2001, 12:49 a.m. (Message 27954, in reply to message 27951)

> I have a typed set of instructions for the MacPherson's Jig, and a recent
> copy of Pilling.
>
> Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.
>
> My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.
>
> Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can let
> me know which is correct?
>
> Malcolm

the Rannoch Sheets, No5 Give the turn as left hand.
2's & 3's once and 1s !+1/2 to get to their own side.
Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Rudge, Janet

Rudge, Janet

Oct. 30, 2001, 2:47 p.m. (Message 27994, in reply to message 27951)

Malcolm wrote:

> Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.
>
> My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.
>
> Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can
let
> me know which is correct?

My typed version (not sure where it originates) also says turn right hand.
However I think bars 17-20 may be different between the 2 versions as well.

These are the instructions I have for bars 17-24:

  17-20 1st couple cross giving left hands and dance out, 1st lady between
        3rd couple and 1st man between 2nd couple, and cast up to 1st place.

  21-24 All turn partner right hand once round.  1st and 3rd couples finish
        facing each other.

This makes sense because -
(a) if the first couple CROSS before dancing out through the standing
couples
then this repeats the crossing movement of the first 4 bars of the dance,
which is quite likely,
(b) all 3 couples are dancing an equal turn enabling them to cover
with each other, which would also appear to be more likely.

Agnes Macmichael was trying to find the answer to the same question about
6 months ago .... Did you find a definitive set of instructions for the
dance, Agnes?

Best regards,

Jan

Beaconsfield, UK