Wee Cooper of Fife

Carl Dreher

Oct. 5, 2001, 4:12 p.m. (Message 27763)

The original title for this 10-bar dance, as told to me by Tavish Tavish
("it's not McTavish...that means son-of-Tavish...I'm the first!") the
200-year old Scottish Country Dancer, is

           "Weird Couple 'o Fives"

Just thought you historians would want to know this.

- Carl Dreher
eclyde

eclyde

Oct. 5, 2001, 4:19 p.m. (Message 27764, in reply to message 27763)

A nice story but, since the dance appears in Dances to Song Tunes
and the Wee Cooper of Fife is a well known Scottish song tune, ...!

Eric
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Oct. 5, 2001, 4:35 p.m. (Message 27765, in reply to message 27763)

Carl Dreher wrote:

> The original title for this 10-bar dance, as told to me by Tavish Tavish
> ("it's not McTavish...that means son-of-Tavish...I'm the first!") the
> 200-year old Scottish Country Dancer, is
>
>            "Weird Couple 'o Fives"
>
> Just thought you historians would want to know this.

Not to mention us database maintainers...

Alan

P.S. Planning on dancing "The Cooper's Wife" this evening. Not QUITE as simple
looking as Ron has implied, but, as it is a John Mitchell effort, it wouldn't
be, would it?
Dianna Shipman

Dianna Shipman

Oct. 5, 2001, 5:09 p.m. (Message 27766, in reply to message 27765)

Before I look up where to purchase "The Cooper's Wife" I'd like to find out
generally what it's like and whether it's a fun dance or one of those we'll
try once and shelf forevermore :-)
Thanks,
Dianna
Houston, Texas
ron.mackey

ron.mackey

Oct. 6, 2001, 1:13 a.m. (Message 27768, in reply to message 27766)

> Before I look up where to purchase "The Cooper's Wife" I'd like to find out
> generally what it's like and whether it's a fun dance or one of those we'll
> try once and shelf forevermore :-)
> Thanks,
> Dianna

	If anyone wants to try it give me a nudge unless you have John
Mitchell's     Whetherly Book No.16 or    - N666-3

	Incidentally I think John Mitchell's early dances were way ahead of
their time and we are just about catching up.   Well worth giving
some of them a try.  e.g. The Glasgow City Police, which is in the
form of a canon.

Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Ian Brown

Ian Brown

Nov. 5, 2001, 8:08 p.m. (Message 28047, in reply to message 27763)

Together with a few friends, I've just tried out the dance "The Cooper's
Wife". We had great fun, so many thanks to those who wrote enthusiastically
about the dance and encouraged us to try it. Thanks also to the person who
sent me the instructions - I was so glad to have them because the book,
though ordered, has yet to arrive.

We found it a challenge to dance in the ten bar phrases and everyone was
seen to be counting. In fact one of the dancers, a teacher, decided it was a
great dance precisely because it would require his pupils to count!

I did feel, however, that we could have used a bit more support from the
music that we played. After the first tune, which was the Wee Cooper , it
became much more difficult to hear the ten bar phrases. Does anyone have a
favourite CD they would care to recommend for this, or any other solution?

Ian Brown,
Harrogate
Marian Stroh

Marian Stroh

Nov. 5, 2001, 8:40 p.m. (Message 28048, in reply to message 28047)

The Cooper's Wife?  I'd love to get directions for it.  What book is it in?
Is it a new dance?  I hate to sound out of touch, but I guess I am.  Will
hope for a response.
Marian Stroh
xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx
Dianna Shipman

Dianna Shipman

Nov. 5, 2001, 8:51 p.m. (Message 28050, in reply to message 28047)

Kardinia Capers CD has a very nice version and I don't recall any problem
with the 10 bar phrases in it - I love that CD - is also has Spiffin - a
great version of Red House (6x40 version) - and several demo tracks.
Dianna
Houston, TX
Martin.Sheffield

Martin.Sheffield

Nov. 6, 2001, 11:49 a.m. (Message 28056, in reply to message 28047)

Ian wrote:
> Does anyone have a favourite CD ...?

Not necessarily a favorite, but quite enjoyable, is D Cunningham's CD "All
set" -- six times through, which is quite enough for a no-rest dance !

Used quite often and no-one complained about not hearing the phrasing.
You didn't say, Ian, which recording you had used yourself.
Martin,
 in Grenoble, France.

 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
              (dance groups,  events,  some new dances ...)