Books versus Cribs

ron.mackey

Oct. 1, 2001, 11:06 p.m. (Message 27626)

Hi,

	In a private chat with Anselm concerning posting dances on S'pey I
wondered I wondered about a tread on how many subscribers collected
books of instruction, other than RSCDS subscription copies, and how
many coasted by on cribs only.  His reply.........
> Feel free.
> *I* have, for one! 50+ and counting!

	So, having had a quick check, I have about 349 books containing 3604
dances not including Leaflets or all the RSCDS publications which I
have also.
	So........ Who else supports the poor deviser seeking sales??
Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Mike Mudrey

Mike Mudrey

Oct. 1, 2001, 11:07 p.m. (Message 27632, in reply to message 27626)

I too have aide memoires,  but these are reminders of a dance, and not a
teaching aide.

Instructors should always have the original material and prepare their own
aids for instructing, and a separate aide memoire for a ball, that is, as
the name says, a memory aid for some who already has learned the dance and
needs a refresher.

I find them too cryptic to be an instructional guide.

mm
Stella Fogg

Stella Fogg

Oct. 2, 2001, 4:35 p.m. (Message 27658, in reply to message 27626)

Hi all,
In replying to Ron's possible "survey" thread on how many subscribers
collect books of instruction, as opposed to crib sheets,  I think it would
be useful to know whether the person replying to a survey,  teaches or is
just a regular dancer. As a teacher, I purchase not only to support the very
clever folks who write wonderful dances but to have the "real" instructions
to teach my class. Most of my class members love receiving their RSCDS book
when they pay their dues and they save all their crib sheets but other than
Pillings, they do not buy dance books. (Maybe because they know their
teacher does......
Stella
Richmond, VA
Marilynn Knight

Marilynn Knight

Oct. 2, 2001, 6:53 p.m. (Message 27667, in reply to message 27626)

And not infrequently a bit wrong...?
Angus Henry

Angus Henry

Oct. 3, 2001, 5:11 a.m. (Message 27730, in reply to message 27626)

Yes; always, if we want to teach or research a dance (and the same
with CDs or tapes if recorded with original tunes).

Books extend to about 2.5 metres of shelf space, plus files of
leaflets.  If done consistently over time a collection is not unduly
expensive to build up.

Cribs, never, unless originals are genuinely impossible to get.

--

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
   Angus & Puka Henry:- 4 Eagle Court, Wulagi, DARWIN, NT 0812, AUSTRALIA

Alan Paterson

Oct. 4, 2001, 5:56 p.m. (Message 27745, in reply to message 27626)

xxx.xxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:

>         Hi,
>
>         In a private chat with Anselm concerning posting dances on S'pey I
> wondered I wondered about a tread on how many subscribers collected
> books of instruction, other than RSCDS subscription copies, and how
> many coasted by on cribs only.  His reply.........
> > Feel free.
> > *I* have, for one! 50+ and counting!
>
>         So, having had a quick check, I have about 349 books containing 3604
> dances not including Leaflets or all the RSCDS publications which I
> have also.
>         So........ Who else supports the poor deviser seeking sales??

Drat! I thought I was pretty high up there with my 158 books containing 2885
dances - but I'm not even close.

Alan