Ramblewood- Incredible Dance escape this year!!!!!

  • ...

    Marilynn Knight Sept. 24, 2001, 2:08 p.m. (Message 27490)

    Words are really failing me to adequately convey the myriad positives I
    brought home within my being from my first 'Ramblewood Experience'.  If it
    has been so incredibly lush every previous year, and I strongly suspect it
    has given that wonderful CD that I use as often as possible from 1998?....,
    all I can say it, they should let us all in on their secrets.

    In truth, it's always fun to get away and experience a new setting, new
    music, new dance friends, but not all week ends, weeks are equal.  I will
    mull for a long time the many positives of Ramblewood 2001.  I wish I had
    more time now while it is still very fresh to articulate specifics, but work
    is pressing me to let go for now.  Let me just say thanks to all those who
    revealed themselves to me as 'strathspey friends, both lurkers and
    regulars'.  Know that I am grateful to each and every one of you, and to
    you, Anselm, for the healthy existence of this ongoing 'dance of
    communication'.

    If Scottish Country Dance is healthy, then Ramblewood this year for this
    dancer was the height of healthy.

    As sincerely as is possible,

    Marilynn Latta Knight
    In Columbia, SC where it currently is muggy and foggy, but I am obliviously
    in a 'what-me-worry state'....  But, then, isn't that what it's sort of
    about, this stuff we call SCD.  Even a two-hour wait to board the plane home
    did not diminish the 'post-dance euphoria', my drug of choice!!!!!  And,
    hey, I got home right on time.
  • ...

    J Middleton Sept. 24, 2001, 8:25 p.m. (Message 27495, in reply to message 27490)

    Marilynn I am glad you enjoyed Ramblewood, Why not try the Hamilton branch
    weekend  on October 12,13,14, at Prodhommes Inn, it is a great bargain to
    you people across the border,
    Cheers Jina
  • ...

    Martin.Sheffield Sept. 25, 2001, 10:33 a.m. (Message 27499, in reply to message 27490)

    Hi, Marilynn,
    you wrote:

    >that wonderful CD that I use as often as possible from 1998?....,

    I'm always on the lookout for positive comments about recordings (alas,
    strathspey writers are not very prolific on the subject !); won't you let
    us in on the secret?

    Glad to know you are not succumbing to the pervasive morosity.
    Vive la danse !

    Martin,
    in Grenoble, where it is so cold and wet they have even turned the heating
    on already.
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Sept. 25, 2001, 12:05 p.m. (Message 27500, in reply to message 27490)

    Martin Sheffield <xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx> writes:

    > I'm always on the lookout for positive comments about recordings (alas,
    > strathspey writers are not very prolific on the subject !); won't you let
    > us in on the secret?

    This must be the CD `Memories of Scottish Weekend', which I believe has
    been mentioned before on this list. I picked up a copy a couple of years
    ago and the only thing I regret about it is that it isn't number 20 in a
    20-CD series of similar recordings. The sheer energy of some of these
    tracks is hardly believable. I would particularly recommend this CD to
    those who like the flute -- listen to `The Sailor' but take a deep
    breath before you do, you might not get around to it again for a while.
    Also you will want to keep a box of tissues handy for the last track.

    Incidentally, the Strathspey Server does have a CD review section.
    Unfortunately I don't seem to get around to writing up as many CDs as I
    should like, but I would like to encourage anybody who wants to share
    their thoughts and opinions about particular CDs -- new and old -- to
    contribute. A brief note will do if you don't find it in you to write a
    five-page review :^), and I will worry about the presentation.

    Anselm
    --
    Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally good mastery of one's

    Marilynn Knight Sept. 25, 2001, 2:56 p.m. (Message 27502, in reply to message 27490)

    Dear Strathspey Dance Friend whom I look forward to meeting on a dance floor
    someday,

    For me, the music is ALL!!!!  So, maybe we could pour forth here with a chat
    re favorite CD's.  For me, that would be "tres(Ou est l'accent aigu?)
    interessant!!!!

    Best,
    Marilynn
    Columbia, SC, where the sun is now shining after a perversely rainy, foggy
    golf day yesterday.  Oh, well, just pretended I was in Scotland and that
    made it quite enchanting(with noooo sarcasm intended, seriously).
  • ...

    ron.mackey Sept. 27, 2001, 1:39 a.m. (Message 27537, in reply to message 27502)

    > Marilynn
    > Columbia, SC, where the sun is now shining after a perversely rainy, foggy
    > golf day yesterday.  Oh, well, just pretended I was in Scotland and that
    > made it quite enchanting(with noooo sarcasm intended, seriously).

    	Hi, Marilynn
    		Not too sure about that.  We got rained on today and I put it on a
    par with dancing on an exceedingly slippery floor.  An interesting
    pastime but it does rather dampen the fun factor!! Pun intended! :)

    Cheers,  Ron   :)

     < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
      'O>  Mottingham,
      /#\  London. UK.
       l>
    xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Fyreladdie Sept. 25, 2001, 5:08 p.m. (Message 27508, in reply to message 27490)

    In a message dated 9/25/01 3:17:37 AM, xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx writes:

    << Incidentally, the Strathspey Server does have a CD review section.
    Unfortunately I don't seem to get around to writing up as many CDs as I
    should like, but I would like to encourage anybody who wants to share
    their thoughts and opinions about particular CDs -- new and old -- to
    contribute. A brief note will do if you don't find it in you to write a
    five-page review :^), and I will worry about the presentation.

        CDs and other recordings are the life nad breath of SCD. There are
    several good ones out there and I hope more to come. The following are a few
    of my favorites. Some are new and some have been around for awhile:  San
    Francisco Collection Vol 2 - Terpsichore, Elke Baker, Liz Donalson -
    Cairngorms, Keith Smithe and Muriel Johnston - Haste Ye Back, Muriel Johnston
    Band - 15 Social dances for Roy Goldring, Mureil Johnston band - Live, John
    Taylor and Andy Imbrie - Gang the Same Gate, Green Ginger - The March Hare,
    Andy Imbrie, Susan Worland Bentley and Michael Bentley.
        These few are well recorded and add a delightful feeling to the class.
    Most can be purchased from headquarters or TAC. The March Hare is the lastest
    and may not be available yet. But keep checking. It's worth the effort. I
    must admit that I do tend to lean towards more fiddle in my recordings than
    some but they must be top quality before i will use them.

    Happy Dancing!

    Bob Mc Murtry
    Felton, Calif