Off-Topic posts.

  • ...

    Oberdan Otto Sept. 19, 2001, 5:45 a.m. (Message 27441)

    Hi Cole and Anselm,

    First, thank you Cole for the Afgan posting. It was something I
    needed to hear. Strathspey is the only list to which I have the time
    to subscribe, and I would not have heard it otherwise. I generally
    have a lot of respect for the people on Strathspey and appreciate
    what they have to share whether it is about SCD or not. I could have
    done without much of the prattle that followed your posting, but it
    did not unduly inconvenience or distress me: the delete key is very
    easy to operate.

    Anselm, I once again want to thank you for providing Strathspey for
    us and for doing your best to keep things on an even keel, which I
    think you have done exceedingly well. However, I hope you don't feel
    it necessary to turn into a list censor based on thread subject.
    Rather, I would prefer you reserved the heavy hand for those who feel
    it necessary to subject us to their bigotry. Otherwise, one of the
    things I especially like about Strathspey is that it periodically
    stretches beyond the bounds of SCD. I really do want to know what
    people on Strathspey feel about momentous events, especially when
    they feel deeply. I think Strathspey is much the richer for it.

    Oberdan.
    184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
    Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Keith Eric Grant Sept. 19, 2001, 6 a.m. (Message 27447, in reply to message 27441)

    Oberdan Otto wrote:

    > I really do want to know what
    > people on Strathspey feel about momentous events, especially when
    > they feel deeply. I think Strathspey is much the richer for it.

    There you go, implying that what we discuss is as much about what underlies
    our being dancers and musicians as it is to the specifics of the dance and
    music itself. Is it something we start with that brings us here to shape our
    figures and reels to the threads of music, or have we been as much reshaped
    by them in turn(s)?

    ...Keith

    --

    I Keith Eric Grant             I Hail to the mountains with summits of     I

    SnowshoeTS Sept. 19, 2001, 3:15 p.m. (Message 27452, in reply to message 27441)

    While I agree that Strathspey server should be dedicated to SCD (and is
    indeed a wonderful resourse ,Thanks again Anselm!!!) I do think that
    occasional off topic and political threads  (suitably restrained ) are
    important. They help me to understand  the thought patterns and attitudes of
    the other members and thus to assess their SCD postings  better.It is good to
    see the many sides of  our members -it makes them more "real".Most of the
    political threads have been USA -centered - I would welcome occasional