Off-Topic posts.

Oberdan Otto

Sept. 19, 2001, 5:45 a.m. (Message 27441)

Hi Cole and Anselm,

First, thank you Cole for the Afgan posting. It was something I
needed to hear. Strathspey is the only list to which I have the time
to subscribe, and I would not have heard it otherwise. I generally
have a lot of respect for the people on Strathspey and appreciate
what they have to share whether it is about SCD or not. I could have
done without much of the prattle that followed your posting, but it
did not unduly inconvenience or distress me: the delete key is very
easy to operate.

Anselm, I once again want to thank you for providing Strathspey for
us and for doing your best to keep things on an even keel, which I
think you have done exceedingly well. However, I hope you don't feel
it necessary to turn into a list censor based on thread subject.
Rather, I would prefer you reserved the heavy hand for those who feel
it necessary to subject us to their bigotry. Otherwise, one of the
things I especially like about Strathspey is that it periodically
stretches beyond the bounds of SCD. I really do want to know what
people on Strathspey feel about momentous events, especially when
they feel deeply. I think Strathspey is much the richer for it.

Oberdan.
184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
Keith Eric Grant

Keith Eric Grant

Sept. 19, 2001, 6 a.m. (Message 27447, in reply to message 27441)

Oberdan Otto wrote:

> I really do want to know what
> people on Strathspey feel about momentous events, especially when
> they feel deeply. I think Strathspey is much the richer for it.

There you go, implying that what we discuss is as much about what underlies
our being dancers and musicians as it is to the specifics of the dance and
music itself. Is it something we start with that brings us here to shape our
figures and reels to the threads of music, or have we been as much reshaped
by them in turn(s)?

...Keith

--

+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
I Keith Eric Grant             I Hail to the mountains with summits of     I

SnowshoeTS

Sept. 19, 2001, 3:15 p.m. (Message 27452, in reply to message 27441)

While I agree that Strathspey server should be dedicated to SCD (and is
indeed a wonderful resourse ,Thanks again Anselm!!!) I do think that
occasional off topic and political threads  (suitably restrained ) are
important. They help me to understand  the thought patterns and attitudes of
the other members and thus to assess their SCD postings  better.It is good to
see the many sides of  our members -it makes them more "real".Most of the
political threads have been USA -centered - I would welcome occasional