Six-Twenty 2-step

  • ...

    SMiskoe Sept. 18, 2001, 5:31 a.m. (Message 27399)

    I am doing a bit of background on the 6 20 2step, written by Jimmy Shand and
    used, I'm told, as his theme song for his radio program.
    I learned it as the tune for White Heather Jig.  WHJ is 40 bars with a little
    tag at the end of the 32 bars.  Can anyone confirm my feeling that this
    little tag is actually a means to make the music fit the dance, and that the
    tune actually doesn't contain it.
    Thanks,
    Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Sept. 18, 2001, 9:20 a.m. (Message 27400, in reply to message 27399)

    xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

    > I am doing a bit of background on the 6 20 2step, written by Jimmy
    > Shand and  used, I'm told, as his theme song for his radio program.
    > I learned it as the tune for White Heather Jig.

    Well, as far as I know it wasn't really officially *his* radio program,
    although of course at the time Jimmy Shand and Scottish dance music
    were pretty much the same thing :^)

    > WHJ is 40 bars with a
    > little  tag at the end of the 32 bars.  Can anyone confirm my feeling
    > that this  little tag is actually a means to make the music fit the
    > dance, and that the  tune actually doesn't contain it.

    If you look at Cosh's book it says

      THE WHITE HEATHER JIG

      To the ADAPTED music of the Six Twenty Two Step. [my emphasis]

      32 bars A + 8 bars. 32 B + 8 bars. 32 C + 8 bars. 32 A + 8 bars.
      Omit 16 bars of A between B and C.

    In my experience music directions don't come more detailed than this ...

    Anselm
    --
    Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    A lawyer without history or literature is a mechanic, a mere working mason; if

    hways Sept. 18, 2001, 11:56 p.m. (Message 27438, in reply to message 27399)

    The 'Six-Twenty' Two Step as originally published by Mozart Allan in 1960
    was structured as follows;
    4 bar Introduction
    16 bars-- repeat that 16 bars with new last bar
    Another 16 bars, also repeated with new last bar
    48 bars
    First 16 bars and repeat with new final bar.

    Harry

    > I am doing a bit of background on the 6 20 2step, written by Jimmy Shand
    and
    > used, I'm told, as his theme song for his radio program.
    > I learned it as the tune for White Heather Jig.  WHJ is 40 bars with a
    little
    > tag at the end of the 32 bars.  Can anyone confirm my feeling that this
    > little tag is actually a means to make the music fit the dance, and that
    the
  • ...

    hways Sept. 19, 2001, 12:29 a.m. (Message 27439, in reply to message 27438)

    A letter from Mozart Allen attached to the music provided instructions for
    the White Heather Jig and notes;
    To the adapted music of the Six-Twenty Two Step
    A + 8 bars, B + 8 bars, C + 8 bars, A + 8 bars
    Omit 16 bars, A between B and C.

    Harry
  • ...

    Bryan McAlister Sept. 19, 2001, 11:01 a.m. (Message 27466, in reply to message 27399)

    In article <xxx.xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx>, xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes
    >I am doing a bit of background on the 6 20 2step, written by Jimmy Shand and
    >used, I'm told, as his theme song for his radio program.
    >I learned it as the tune for White Heather Jig.  WHJ is 40 bars with a little
    >tag at the end of the 32 bars.  Can anyone confirm my feeling that this
    >little tag is actually a means to make the music fit the dance, and that the
    >tune actually doesn't contain it.
    >Thanks,
    >Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
    looked out my copy of the music which doesn't seem to have any little
    tags, Its all in 32 bar bits, am I missing something?
    Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
    Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
    Email xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx
    Mobile phone 07801 793849