  • Pia Walker

    Pia Walker June 21, 2006, 4:16 p.m. (Message 45612)

    RE: Divided by a common language (was Reels and Hornpipes)

    Being a foreigner, I haven't got a clue where I learnt wonderful words such
    as:
    outwith
    henceforth
    wherewith
    etc

    I guess, but am not sure, shakespearean language classes in high-school (6
    months of the stuff - mostly forgotten) - I only know I hear them in court
    quite a lot when I am interpreting there.

    I think they are wonderfully quirky - just like the Brits themselves :>)

    Pia
    Who hails from Denmark.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    [mailto:strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]On Behalf Of
    John Chambers
    Sent: 21 June 2006 14:11
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx; SCD news and discussion
    Subject: Re: Divided by a common language (was Reels and Hornpipes)

    Andrew Smith commented:
    | John Chambers wrote:
    | > "But now that we all know what it means, there's no longer any
    | > reason to change it. ;-)"
    |
    | but remember there is life beyond "Strathspey", John.

    What?  There are SCD dancers not on this list? ;-)

    In any case, I've seen  "outwith"  occasionally,  and  just
    considered  it  a  rare synonym for "outside".  I think I'd
    picked up that it had some UK association, but didn't think
    of it as especially Scottish.  I'm a bit surprised that, in
    this day of such easy  international  communication,  there
    are English-speaking people who don't know the word.

    We do have a minor problem in English, in that the opposite
    of "within" obviously should be "without", but that's taken
    for a rather different meaning.  That's typical for such  a
    poorly designed language, I guess.

    --
       _,
       O   John Chambers